338 Lapua vs 300 Win Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

338 Lapua vs 300 Win Mag

This article is a about 4 years old, but I am considering one or the other, and thought this short article was worth sharing. Enjoy!
    NRA Benefactor Life
    NRA Instructor & RSO
    NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

While playing with a few SEAL sniper rifles that just got back from overseas, they had the .300 WM, but I noticed that they didn't have a .338L. I asked where's the "338" and they just laughed and one said, "We wish."
    I know it's there, but wasn't too common at that time.
    “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
    Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Unless you reload I would take ammo cost into consideration . 300 win mag is going to be a lot cheaper. Ifs it's going to be used strictly for hunting then cost difference really doesn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
        Unless you reload I would take ammo cost into consideration . 300 win mag is going to be a lot cheaper. Ifs it's going to be used strictly for hunting then cost difference really doesn't matter
        I am assuming I will most likely use it for hunting, but I don't think I could tolerate owning one or the other, without getting addicted to at least some long target shooting. I honestly don't know if after I put it through its paces, I put it in the safe, or I get the bug. If I am going to do more than hunt, I will have to choose between reloading, or rationing! I know the .338's are expensive, but I didn't think the difference between the the .300 Wins vs the .338L's would be that bad, as in them both being expensive, with the .338 just being worse. I am assuming if I can keep it under 100 to 200 rounds every month or so, I can justify eating that with factory rounds (meanwhile I haven't even looked at what I am getting into for factory rounds, which will be my next stop after hitting Post). If putting 200 rounds downrange is going to cost as much as a new 10/22 every month or so, then it is reloading, or in the safe it goes.

I do appreciate the heads up. I think I was subconsciously evading the cost of ammo. I never shot a .338L, but I have shot the .300 Win. and it went into that segment of our brains that have that itch. The other part of the equation, which is my subconscious rationalizing this, is the cost of adding this isn't in a vacuum. I still have the expenses of all my other shooting, which wont be disappearing. I was enjoying not really considering the cost! I am also slated to replace a lever action, which I am going to probably do a Henry in .30-30, which I know I can eat the factory ammo. Might be time for that dedicated .22 upper though! At least I can take an offset on the .223's savings. More rationalization, I love this sport.
        NRA Benefactor Life
        NRA Instructor & RSO
        NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Ok, so I had the .300 Win factory ammo prices right ($1.00 for crap to $3.00 for good stuff - I expected $1.50 to $2.00), but I had no clue about the .338 Lapua prices (around $3.75 to $5.75 each) I had no clue. Anybody have any compelling reason to go .338L over .300 Win besides the obvious. like increased kinetic energy. Since I want to target shoot too, and any hunting wont be in Africa, and I can reload if necessary, but I thought these were much closer ballistically. I was not expecting a difference from $2 a pop to over $5 a pop for factory loads.
          NRA Benefactor Life
          NRA Instructor & RSO
          NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

100-200 rounds a month at ~$4+ each....I think you have your answer.
            Or $400 - $800 a month in ammo for just one firearm works for you.....
            “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
            Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
              100-200 rounds a month at ~$4+ each....I think you have your answer.
              Or $400 - $800 a month in ammo for just one firearm works for you.....
              I do have my answer. Even reloading, the .338 is $3 for the brass, so unless I am never going to use it, the .300 Win is the answer.
              NRA Benefactor Life
              NRA Instructor & RSO
              NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

I had the same choice a few years back, 338 or 300 wm..I chose the 300 win mag for the same reason. .On Long Island, 300 yards is the furthest your gonna shoot, but if you plan on heading out of State for 1000 yards, The 300 win mag is plenty, ammo is cheaper, reloading is cheaper...post some pics when you get your 300 wm..

Comment

That article was kinda lame. I have both and don't shoot either. They are kinda silly. The 300 win mag is less silly I guess. For punching paper most 6 or 6.5s will get you there with less powder, recoil, greater accuracy and more panache.

The 300 win mag is has a short neck and belted case. Not condusive to accuracy but for some reason you can make them shoot. At least the 338 was designed from the ground up to make more sense.

Take a look at the 338 and 300 Norma mags. They are interesting.

I used to hunt with a 340 weatherby that shot a 250 nosler partition at 2950 ft/sec. It was basically a 338 lapua. It worked well for me in Africa but if I went back if probably go another route.

Comment

I have both, and I like each of them. The Lapua is really fun to shoot, and there isn't much recoil due to the weight of the rifle. Took them both out last weekend, and both had no problems at 500 yards. The 300 Win Mag I will use for hunting, even though it is on the heavy side with a 26" 5R barrel. The Lapua I could not pass up, my friend sold it to me very cheap. Both rifles due to the weight have minimal recoil.

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG
                    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                    - Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                    - James Madison

Comment

I appreciate the input from all. I had it in my head that the two cartridges were much more similar in both performance and price. Pretty much everything I could find said exactly what Bobbytaz said, the recoil wasn't an issue, due to the weight with both. What I was surprised about was many posts on the web said if you were going to go for the Lapua, you might as well go 50 BMG. I don't think it was a consensus based on the ballistics, just if you were going to even come close to shooting the distances the .338 are made for, you might as well shoot the .50 BMG. I am aware what the .50 BMG is designed for, and while they are fun, unless I move to a state where I can enjoy a .50, it is too expensive for me to enjoy it, nor lug it around to not afford to shoot the hell out if it.

My mistake was I thought the Lapua was closer to the .300 Win rather then closer to the BMG. Notwithstanding the weight of the actual bullets in .50 BMG. Last time I almost ordered a .50, they were around $4 or $5 a round, which I figured I could deal with on special occasions. Now those are $10 plus. Can't see blowing $100 for ten shots, ten shots isn't a special occasion, it's a tease.
                      NRA Benefactor Life
                      NRA Instructor & RSO
                      NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Forgot to say, I also reload, The Lapua came with 200 rounds of Lapua brass, So I am already ahead of the game.
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                        - James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
                          Forgot to say, I also reload, The Lapua came with 200 rounds of Lapua brass, So I am already ahead of the game.
                          Believe me, if someone came along with a great deal on a .338L, I would forget all about the expenses, and having brass included would be icing on the cake. And I know myself all too well. This thread may have steered me away from the Lapua for now, but all I need to happen is to be in an LGS and see one staring at me. The Savage is as affordable as they are going to come new, and I hope I don't bite. Thanks for the pictures, my wallet doesn't thank you!
                          NRA Benefactor Life
                          NRA Instructor & RSO
                          NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
                            You want a scary powder throw some us 869 in there. Nutty flash and report. Crazy high sd. Scary stuff

Comment

Working...
                            X