X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by pandm View Post
    I think this as a HD gun is a monumental mistake.
    That said - the most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Sako Forester is .243, and I have owned one or two rifles over the years.
    Hell of a varmint round.
    Have the forester in .308, missed out on a Finnwolf same caliber

Leave a comment:

• M-14BULLETTS
    replied
    in a urban area i would use it as a club before a rifle , wally world ---just wow --- to much call of duty anyone .... or was it the last gun in stock

as said before buy a 20 gauge of any reputable brand and trade her for it and take her to the range and explain the big difference

Leave a comment:

• pandm
    replied
    I think this as a HD gun is a monumental mistake.
    That said - the most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Sako Forester is .243, and I have owned one or two rifles over the years.
    Hell of a varmint round.

Leave a comment:

• gripper 2.0
    replied
    Take her to the range ,,tell her about the old gun law your not allowed to only own 1 then take her LGS and get a shotgun

Leave a comment:

• HyFiveGuns
    replied
    I’m a huge .243 fan. Love it for light recoil and ballistic superiority over .223 for long range varmint hunting (I don’t hunt deer but it’s good for that too). I love the Hornady Custom Lite Recoil round. It’s a 87gr SST (polymer tip) and feels like a .223. But I think it’s a terrible rifle for home defense. It’s going to go through anything it hits, it’s going to be loud as f&&k and cycling a bolt gun under duress has to be pretty challenging. Keep the .243 for hunting or enjoyment at the range and go buy a shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• Grifhunter
    replied
    I love the .243 for his light recoil and deer killing ability. I would use the lightest varmint loads (60-80 grains hollowpoints that will expand rapidly) if its for two legged varmints. Ditch the scope, add a red dot and its passable defensive gun.

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Yikes! First thing- Ditch the scope #2, get the heaviest expanding bullet I think it's 100 Gr for it. 3. Put red dot or ghost ring or SOMETHING that would be useful in a close encounter. 4. Practice at max 50 yds, wit the emphasis on acquisition and follow up shots. 5 Have a talk with her about defensive shooting dos and don'ts and hit on does she have the will to do what is required

ETA: If she has little or no shooting experience, find a similar bolt rifle in 22 and spend a lot of time working out the basics before moving up

ETA II- I saw an optic that was heads up w/ a green laser that was around 100, it mounts on a rail. You might consider something like that
    Last edited by NRATC53; 11-19-2020, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcsprocket
    replied
    It might have been the only thing they had.

Leave a comment:

• Yaphank Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by 7vette2 View Post

Agreed. She didn't ask me before she bought it and I am pissed at the Wally World salesman who sold it to her. Oh well...
    Most likely a Savage Axis

Leave a comment:

• Finicky Fat Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by wally View Post
    why didnt she just ask?
    maybe she saw that rifle and just decided she had to have it,HD being the only excuse she could come up with,but at least shes getting started goodluck to both of you
    She probably asked the guy at the counter and he didn't know any better since it's Walmart and they sell guns like they sell everything else: just another product to move.

Leave a comment:

• 7vette2
    replied
    Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
    Yup. If her house is ever raided by coyotes or small to NY Sized deer, she's prepared!
    A bolt action hunting rifle inside the house is a very strange idea for a novice shooter in a suburban H.D. scenario.
    Tell her to go upstairs and only shoot downward, toward the stair landing so that bullet doesn't get loose.
    Agreed. She didn't ask me before she bought it and I am pissed at the Wally World salesman who sold it to her. Oh well...

Leave a comment:

• Yaphank Kid
    replied
    Make sure to tell her to have the intruder stay at least 30 yds away so she can see him in the scope 😁

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    why didnt she just ask?
    maybe she saw that rifle and just decided she had to have it,HD being the only excuse she could come up with,but at least shes getting started goodluck to both of you

Leave a comment:

• SemiAutoFetish
    replied
    Originally posted by 7vette2 View Post

So my daughter-in-law's sister decided she wanted to purchase a firearm for home defense. She went to Wally World and bought a bolt action rifle in 243 Rem. I just found out about this the other night when I saw her. I am not familiar with this chambering but I hear it is pretty common and would be good for a small woman. (She didn't even know the brand of the rifle or the scope) I wouldn't have recommended this. A 20 ga. shotty would have been my choice but too late now. I will have to take her to the range, sight it in and give her some lessons. Not looking forward to it. So, any comments on the 243?
    Not really a self defense round....ESPECIALLY living in a suburban area like LI. That would be the only comment i have. But I suppose in times like this if that was all she could get, so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    Pick up a nice 590 in 20ga and trade her straight up for the rifle. The scope is a nice touch for a HD firearm.

For Christmas take her to the range a few times....more valuable than the gun she bought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X