Cleaning your 30 cal rifles, a really easy hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your 30 cal rifles, a really easy hack

I have a real-life hack for cleaning .30 cal rifles, including .308, 7.62 x 3.9, 30-30 etc.

One of the things that’s annoying about rifle cleaning is the number of patches it takes to clean a bore. I’ve seen my customers use 20 patches in a typical patch holder to get a bore clean. Sometimes people use the pointed patch holder, which in my mind is a good idea, but they tend to be sized to be used with very thin patches or very expensive plugs.

So I thought I’d share a small tidbit of an idea that works really well.

First I brush my rifle barrel in the standard manner with a wet brass brush. Some people use a dry brush, I can’t see why, but either way, brush it from the receiver end whenever possible.

Next I use a good quality full thickness .30 cal flannel patch made from cotton. (Not one of the super cheap and thin body versions)

Instead of a .30 cal patch holder, I use a naked .17 cal rod without any attachments, just the flat end, and I push the wet patch through the barrel and out the muzzle. The first one comes out black, and by the third one the barrel looks good. A fourth one gets it done. The .17 cal rod is so perfectly sized that I can feel it spin with the bore rifling, just as a brass brush will do.

That’s it! Nothing extra to buy, you can use your favorite cleaning products. Call me a sucker, I’ve purchased every cleaning product known to man, but I still use Hoppes for cleaning most of my rifle bores.

Patch on the end of a .17 rod

rifle cleaning 1.jpg

From right to left, the first one is the dirty one, and so on. (yes I know that's backwards, but as a Jew, I have a natural inclination to read right to left)

rifle cleaning 2.jpg

.30 cal brass brush first, then patch.

rifle cleaning 3.jpg

Quality one piece .17 rod cal with free spinning handle

rifle cleaning 4.jpg
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

I use the correct jag but double up on the patches. Few patches , wet brush then more patches. Have bores snakes but never seem to use them. I mostly use Hoppes #9 but I like the aerosol cleaners too. Spray down the barrel and let it sit for a few

Comment

I typically run a copper brush soaked in Hoppes # 9 a few times up and down the bore, then rinse with automotive brake parts cleaner ( same shit as Birtchwood n casey). Then blow compressed air through the bore/ receiver. After that only one patch dry and one patch sprayed with light lubricant through bore.
      Done.
      Last edited by SemiAutoFetish; 09-03-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Boresnakes specific to the caliber are the best in my opinion....soak the middle brush in rem oil and run it thru and youre done....super easy - and mirror shine after one pass.

Comment

Hoppes # 9, I put that shit on everything should be it’s slogan.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
            Hoppes # 9, I put that shit on everything should be it’s slogan.
            rimg.jpg.29c24ec06cf48be7c567ec08ee8fd8d3.jpg
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Theirishweaver View Post
                Boresnakes specific to the caliber are the best in my opinion....soak the middle brush in rem oil and run it thru and youre done....super easy - and mirror shine after one pass.
                Bet you a borescope would show different.
                NRA Life member

Comment

Working...
                X