This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common courtesy at a USPSA/IPSC, IDPA match

If a match's posted start time is 1330, please show up well before 1330. You don't have to help set up as there are usually enough people, but it would be nice. Do not show up at 1325 (or later) and expect to shoot. Leave time to sign up, get organized into squads, prep your equipment, get a walk through, etc. Especially if it is your first match.

During the course of the match, please help to tape up targets. reset steel poppers, and keep score, etc. It genuinely helps the match go smoother and quicker. Don't worry if you don't know how. There will be plenty of people willing to show you.

Read the course description for each stage before it's your turn to shoot. Don't lay back and BS, or worse, make everybody look for you, and when you get up there, ask "How does this go?". Watch others shoot it before you.

Don't pack up and leave after your final shot. Stick around, and help break everything down. It just makes everything easier on everyone involved, fellow competitors and organizers alike. Not a bad idea to bring work/mechanic's gloves, as you will be dealing with staples, splintered wood, spikes driven into dirt, etc.

These apply to matches at Freeport, and out at LIPSA as well.

If you're going to sign up and/or register for a match, please show up. If for some reason you can't make it, please let the match organizers know. In the past, it was no big deal. Lately, matches have been filling up. If you don't show, you took a spot away from someone who would have wanted to be there.
    Steve

While out at LIPSA if you leave after your last shot and don't help break down, don't come back...

There's been lots of things that can be done better with very little effort at both clubs. Scoring being the biggest issue... The scores are the single most important thing while at the match. Some may only come to shoot, but these scores mean something to some of us and when you screw them up, it affects the entire match. Paper and tablet should be walking side by side scoring together and confirming that the paper and tablet do indeed read the same info. Sloppy writing, bad math, and pure laziness are just unacceptable. Everyone in every squad should be involved in learning every aspect of the sport, from scoring, to running shooters safely. Get involved
    All aboard the Trump train............................................. ....

Comment

Us Long Islanders know this but the out of state guys don't really... they come out for the match, shoot it, and leave...

Lemme ask you went to NJ this weekend did you help break down. Curious. I always help break down at LIPSA because I'm on the same page as you here... lots of helping hands make quick work. It's not easy to setup matches takes up a lot of time

Comment

Quick question if I'm the next shooter up I usually don't help at Lipsa. My understanding is everyone does that.
        Freeport not a big deal because u can see all your targets .
        let's make america great again

Comment

The out of state guys know, and this is common place in any match... If Max Michel comes to a level one match, he helps break down... It's just the way it is...

Not only did we stay and break down today, but we arrived 2 hours early and help set up... That's how they run their matches and if I want to shoot, that's what you do

I shot a match in Virginia yesterday... This was a major match that was worked by volunteers and we paid big entry fees... these matches you won't break down or setup

George, the on deck shooter should be thinking and preparing to shoot next... No worries of helping... But, after you shoot, reload and back into the rotation of taping, picking up steel, and scoring... Possibly RO'ing... Some of this includes picking up the magazines from the last shooter as you walk by them, or possibly helping that person recover his or her brass if need be... There's jobs for everyone
          All aboard the Trump train............................................. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Vycor View Post
            Us Long Islanders know this but the out of state guys don't really... they come out for the match, shoot it, and leave...

Lemme ask you went to NJ this weekend did you help break down. Curious. I always help break down at LIPSA because I'm on the same page as you here... lots of helping hands make quick work. It's not easy to setup matches takes up a lot of time
            Like FMJ said, not only did we break down, but we get there early and set up. And being an RO, and this range prefers that RO's run the shooters, rather than everyone doing it like is sometimes common, I also ran half the shooters. So it makes for a full day. But that's the sport we enjoy.
            Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
            Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Havfun View Post
              Quick question if I'm the next shooter up I usually don't help at Lipsa. My understanding is everyone does that.
              Freeport not a big deal because u can see all your targets .
              No, if you're the on deck shooter you should not be pasting, scoring , resetting etc.
              As well, as the on deck shooter you have "the right of way", you have priority over any other shooters who may be trying to walk the stage and plan their run.
              Everyone else should stay out of your way, as you should when someone else is on deck.
              Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

Working...
              X