Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U.S. Service Rifle Small Arms Firing School (SAFS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 U.S. Service Rifle Small Arms Firing School (SAFS)

The 2018 SAFS will be held at the Peconic River Sportsman's Club on April 21 and 22. This will be our 28th year of providing this excellent course which serves as an introduction to High Power Rifle competition. This is a CMP approved course. All lead instructors are current or former members of the NYS Service Rifle Team. Many are nationally ranked and all are Distinguished Riflemen. You will receive one on one training and will be able to safely compete in High Power matches upon completion. All training is conducted on the AR-15A2 platform only with as issued iron sights. The reason for this is that this is a fundamental program and we all train on the same platform. We have National Match AR-15 A2 rifles for loan at no additional charge. CMP and NRA rules have changed and the A4 or M4 platform can be used for matches. You may also use up to a 4.5 power scope in competition. Should you decide to return and compete in the NRA league that we run, you may use the other configurations. I have attached the registration form for your use. This course is open to the first 66 entries only and is usually sells out early.
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Attached Files

Weekend Bump! Registrations coming in. We only have 66 openings. If you plan on attending, get your registration in the mail.

Comment

good stuff here learn some good stuff

Comment

Would love to go, prior commitments booked.
        A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Ed,
          Any winter high power matches scheduled, and do you have the Peconic high power match schedule yet? Thanks.

Comment

Just posted the 2018 LI and NY State High Power schedules in the Competitions area

Comment

I did this last year. I recommend it. Highly. A plethora of knowledge is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post
                I did this last year. I recommend it. Highly. A plethora of knowledge is an understatement.
                Come back and shoot some matches with us this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo189 View Post

Come back and shoot some matches with us this year!
                  I plan on it. I was only able to do one match last year. Plan to do a few more this year. Free time is few and far between working 2 jobs.

Planning on a match rifle build in 2019. Either a white oak or compass lake upper.

Comment

Out of all the weekends in the year, it's a bummer that this and Appleseed fall on the same weekend. They seem like very complimentary classes.

Comment

Ive been trying to take this class for the last 3 years. If my work schedule is clear I am definitely signing up for this.
                      III%

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                        Out of all the weekends in the year, it's a bummer that this and Appleseed fall on the same weekend. They seem like very complimentary classes.
                        Having done SAFS course it's main purpose is to provide you with the necessary experience to engage in NRA highpower events. A lot of classroom instruction and then 1:1 instruction on the 3 rifleman positions. You then qualify at 50 yards with a .22lr AR. Next day you run a mock event learning how to score, work the pits, and shoot 200 yards with irons with a qualified rifleman observing and providing guidance and corrections to your technique.

Comment

Guys:

This is some of the best shooting knowledge you can get. I mean I'm biased, but I took my first SAFS in 1994 or 1995? Then went distinguished in 1998 or 1999 (it's been a long time).

Is it as sexy as three gun type stuff....no. I will be the first to admit that. But shooting well with iron sights, learning proper sight alignment, trigger control, and breathing are all the necessary fundamentals. You may laugh, but I check my natural point of aim before I start triggering in run and gun pistol style matches. Results in lots of "A" hits.

I would be instructing, but family vacation plans are taking me out of town that weekend. If anyone has questions about this type of shooting feel free to reach out to me.

vick
                          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post

Having done SAFS course it's main purpose is to provide you with the necessary experience to engage in NRA highpower events. A lot of classroom instruction and then 1:1 instruction on the 3 rifleman positions. You then qualify at 50 yards with a .22lr AR. Next day you run a mock event learning how to score, work the pits, and shoot 200 yards with irons with a qualified rifleman observing and providing guidance and corrections to your technique.
                            Mossy and Volko, yeah I hear ya. I want to take this and I'm sure this is an excellent course, but I think (for me at least) the Appleseed shoot sounds like it makes more sense for a first timer like me to learn the history and basics then move to the AR as a next level course. I'll definitely do it next year, already signed up for Appleseed.

Comment

Registrations coming in daily. I only have 66 openings total for this course which is provided once a year. If you want to attend, get moving. CMP approved. One on one marksmanship training on the AR-15 A2 platform. SAFS 2018 Reg.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X