Crazy Memo At Work Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Memo At Work Today

Got a memo at work today that I need to expand my vocabulary to include ze and hir. I will just post a news article to explain.

Bill de Blasio, NYC mayor, to fine businesses that fail to use correct gender pronouns

m.washingtontimes.com

New York businesses face hefty penalties for ‘misgendering’ customers

By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Greeting customers as “Mr.” or “Mrs.” — or even not using the pronoun “ze” or “zir” — could prove costly for New York City businesses under rules drafted by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s bureaucrats.

The Gotham mayor’s Commission on Human Rights says entities that fail to address customers by their preferred gender pronouns and titles are in violation of the law and could be subject to penalties of up to $250,000.

The commission issued a “legal enforcement guidance” for the New York City Human Rights Law, which now “requires employers and converted entities to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun and title (e.g., Ms./Mrs.) regardless of the individual’s sex assigned at birth, anatomy, gender, medical history, appearance, or the sex indicated on the individual’s identification.”

The guidance, issued in December as part of a broader interpretation of the human rights law, notes that some people prefer pronouns that don’t have masculine or feminine forms, including “they/them/theirs or ze/hir.” The former are plurals being drafted for use in the singular, while the latter are among several alternative pronoun systems developed by academics and/or LGBT communities.

It lists several examples of violations that could result in fines, including the “intentional and repeated refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun or title.”

“For example, repeatedly calling a transgender woman ‘him’ or ‘Mr.’ after she has made clear which pronouns and title she uses,” the guide says.

The maximum civil fine that the commission may impose upon “misgendering” is $125,000. But when the violation is the “result of willful, wanton, or malicious conduct,” the maximum fine can double to $250,000.

The guide says businesses can avoid penalties “by creating a policy of asking everyone what their preferred gender pronoun is so that no individual is singled out for such questions and by updating their system to allow all individuals to self-identify their names and genders. They should not limit the options for identification to male and female only.”

While businesses are held to a strict standard, the guidance makes clear that the government is exempt from the law in “circumstances where certain federal, state, or local laws require otherwise (e.g., for the purposes of employment eligibility verification with the federal government).”

Writing at his Volokh Conspiracy blog, law professor Eugene Volokh questioned how the guidance is permissible under the First Amendment.

“So people can basically force us — on pain of massive legal liability — to say what they want us to say, whether or not we want to endorse the political message associated with the term, and whether or not we think it’s a lie,” Mr. Volokh wrote.

The guide comes at a flashpoint in the debate over the public’s responsibility to accommodate transgender people.

President Obama on Friday issued an order compelling public schools nationwide to regulate restrooms and locker rooms on the basis of gender identity, rather than biological sex.

North Carolina has been fighting legal and cultural headwinds for months after the state enacted a law regulating bathroom use on the basis of sex rather than gender identity.

This is not the first time Mr. de Blasio’s Human Rights Commission has raised eyebrows about the enforcement of city human rights law. The commission this month issued an order forcing bars to serve alcohol to pregnant women.

The mayor’s office could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Most Popular on TWT

'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight' video goes viral

MONICA CROWLEY: How Donald Trump is drawing in Democrats

Bob Bennett apologized to Muslims for Donald Trump in final days

Charlotte Observer: Girls must try 'overcoming discomfort' of seeing 'male genitalia' in bathrooms -

Bill de Blasio, NYC mayor, to fine businesses that fail to use correct gender pronouns

Omar Al Nasser, University of Houston professor, arrested in synthetic drug sting

Donald Trump revives 'rape' allegation against Bill Clinton

EgyptAir flight 804 from Paris to Cairo disappears from radar

EDITORIAL: Elizabeth Warren would be more of the same on the Democratic ticket

Hillary Clinton's fierce anti-gun stance could backfire in general election

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC.

Best of TWT VideoCommentsShow Comments

My god just when I thought this POS Mayor couldn't top his previous stupidity. So now we have to ask everyone " do you identify as a women or man?" or "Which bathroom do you use?" before even saying hello. Yeah that won't offend everyone that is not transgendered, you know the other 99.7 of the population.

Comment

Never gonna happen. I refuse to adopt Newspeak.
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Yes this transgender non issue is the top of our problems as a nation??
        It's not even in the top 100 issues. Fucking morons

Comment

my boss got a great memo today that went something like this "I am resigning....."

yeah not a joke, still waiting to hear back from him lol

Comment

WTF is this nonsense

Comment

How do you even pronounce ZE and ZIR? And what do they even mean? What a bunch of crap. ZE must be SHE/HE and ZIR is HER/HIM??? No joke, besides the absolute stupidity, and the violation of free speech, is it just me, but you are fined for violating someones civil rights if you don't use a word that didn't even exist last week? WTF???
              NRA Benefactor Life
              NRA Instructor & RSO
              NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Prepare for the collapse. On to the Thunderdome!
                  I will be celebrating on Jan. 20th regardless of Nov 8th.

Comment

He/she/it should go fuck himself/herself/itself.

Comment

• Idiocracy
                      Idiocracy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      End of argument.

• Dropkick
                      Dropkick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Exactly

I for one welcome this and all of their crazy ideas because the more they push with this nonsensical shit the faster the pendulum will swing back to when people didn't focus on the .000001% with this mental illness

Comment

WTF is a ZIR? It sounds like a type of small game!
                      NRA Benefactor Life
                      NRA Instructor & RSO
                      NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

This is awesome!
                        Next time I'm in the city I'm going to some government agency and tell them to refer to me with the title "Most Royal Pronouncer that DiBlassio Sucks Puss Out of Cuomo's Hemmroids"
                        "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wait wait, let me give this a shot.

"Ze queers ain't welcome hir".

Comment

Just a random thought. If someone calls a tranny a cunt, does it get mad or horny?

Comment

Working...
                            X