No announcement yet.

Identity theft sux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had my Discover cards replaced twice in the past 2 years. Both times, there were unauthorized charges brought to my attention immediately by Discover. Got a text on my phone and an email.

I just got an email today and they're replacing them again. I think it's likely I was part of the big Equifax data breach, so maybe that's it. I've also been informed by at least two online merchants that I may have been part of a breach but my cards have already been replaced since then. One of them was Classic Firearms. If you ordered those cheap uppers back in April, keep a heads up.

Other than a MasterCard, which I almost never use, Discover is the only CC I have. Those and a Citibank Debit card are all I have and all I need. The fewer you have, the better off you are. I stay away from store and gas CCs. But this shit is getting exhausting.
    I don't need a gun.
    I have never needed a gun.
    I hope I never need a gun and in all likelihood, I will never need a gun.
    However, if I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun.
    Therefore, I have a gun.

Regards,
    Chris

Comment

F’ing scumbags. I hope they all die poor, homeless and hungry.
      NRA LIFE | SAF | NYSRPA | EFF | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

That sucks. I remember years ago I was on a date and some a-hole bought rounds and rounds on my tab. I only paid for my 4 drinks and the bar ate the rest. Obviously different story with you.

You should also consider another dimension to this: tax fraud. If someone has your credit card info, passwords, etc... Are you certain they don't have (or have access to) your social security number? ever have a form or tax return emailed to you? If so, a lot fore than you miles/points may be compromised.

Its very common for people to be the victim of identity theft and have fraudulent tax returns filed where a refund will be issued. Then you go to file your actual return and it will be denied, and then the real headache begins.

FWIW, you have the option to contact the NYS and the IRS to alert them to flag your profile and returns. It's something to consider. Pm me if you want more info on this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Camel View Post
          That sucks. I remember years ago I was on a date and some a-hole bought rounds and rounds on my tab. I only paid for my 4 drinks and the bar ate the rest. Obviously different story with you.

You should also consider another dimension to this: tax fraud. If someone has your credit card info, passwords, etc... Are you certain they don't have (or have access to) your social security number? ever have a form or tax return emailed to you? If so, a lot fore than you miles/points may be compromised.

Its very common for people to be the victim of identity theft and have fraudulent tax returns filed where a refund will be issued. Then you go to file your actual return and it will be denied, and then the real headache begins.

FWIW, you have the option to contact the NYS and the IRS to alert them to flag your profile and returns. It's something to consider. Pm me if you want more info on this.
          I'll make my tax guy aware, good suggestion. As far as taxes go though, I've been IRS's bitch the past 5 years so not too much they gave to add would shock me.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
            F’ing scumbags. I hope they all die poor, homeless and hungry.
            Subtle, but I think I pickin up what you're layin down 👍🏼

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
              I have foolproof protection against fraud.

It's called a $300 credit line.
              until someone opens a card using your info....

Comment

I get hit every 2 or 3 months

Lifelock has been useless

Had my taxes hit in 2010 for $7700.00 now I get a pin every December to file with my taxes.

They hit B.O.A for $4600 about 9 months ago and tried again 3 months later. I was on the phone with B.O.A. and they were going to get scammed again if I hadn't gone over the first phone representatives head.

They opened 2 Charles Schwab accounts and 3 TD Bank accounts 3 months ago but no activity on them.

They just tried to get my credit report but were locked out and didn't know the code.

Get yourself an "Active Duty Alert" on your credit report. It's good for one year and keep renewing it.

Thru all this I still have an 815 credit score.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
                  I've had my Discover cards replaced twice in the past 2 years. Both times, there were unauthorized charges brought to my attention immediately by Discover. Got a text on my phone and an email.

I just got an email today and they're replacing them again. I think it's likely I was part of the big Equifax data breach, so maybe that's it. I've also been informed by at least two online merchants that I may have been part of a breach but my cards have already been replaced since then. One of them was Classic Firearms. If you ordered those cheap uppers back in April, keep a heads up.

Other than a MasterCard, which I almost never use, Discover is the only CC I have. Those and a Citibank Debit card are all I have and all I need. The fewer you have, the better off you are. I stay away from store and gas CCs. But this shit is getting exhausting.
                  Thanks for the heads up, had no idea they got breached.
                  Vaminos is all you need to say, we're gonna move eventually
                  Pull the suckers off of one row, then turn around and do it again -
                  WNM

Comment

Run your email through this site to see if your info is out in the public due to a breach. https://haveibeenpwned.com/
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
                      Run your email through this site to see if your info is out in the public due to a breach. https://haveibeenpwned.com/
                      Says x2, no surprise there but a cool tool, thanks.

Another rewards/miles acct got hit today for 135,000 miles....it mystifies me why they don't prosecute these pigs. Costs and aggravation to consumers and businesses is huge.
                      Last edited by Huntington Guy; 11-13-2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
                        interesting, if that's all the info out there on me I can deal with it

River City Media Spam List

In January 2017, a massive trove of data from River City Media was found exposed online. The data was found to contain almost 1.4 billion records including email and IP addresses, names and physical addresses, all of which was used as part of an enormous spam operation. Once de-duplicated, there were 393 million unique email addresses within the exposed data.
                        Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Names, Physical addresses

Comment

My personal address is on 9 lists, my work one 6.
                          Ben

Comment

Working...
                          X