De Blasio New Crime Fighting Plan - LED Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De Blasio New Crime Fighting Plan - LED Lights

Bill de Blasio’s plan to fight crime in the city’s public housing properties is adding more than 300 LED lights to illuminate dark areas.

The exterior lighting is a “key part of the mayor’s action plan—$140 million comprehensive effort to improve security at 15 New York City Housing Authority sites, home to nearly 62,000 residents,” a press release from the mayor’s office stated.

“Improving lighting at our developments is crucial to creating a safer, cleaner, and more connected NYCHA,” said Shola Olatoye, the CEO and chair of the New York City Housing Authority.

“The Mayor’s Action Plan is a powerful example of what collaboration can do to strengthen NYCHA and enhance quality of life for residents. These permanent new fixtures will ensure our development is well-lit and our residents feel safe within their communities,” Olatoye said.

De Blasio’s LED light announcement comes two weeks after New York City’s police union called for more officers to deal with the increase in crime in the city’s public housing.

Patrick Lynch, the president of the Police Benevolent Association, joined the president of Teamsters Local 237 in a letter to the mayor recommending more officers to deal with higher levels of crime expected during the summer months.

The city’s public housing properties have already seen a year-over-year increase in crime through May. Murders were up 18.8 percent, burglaries were up 22.1 percent, and felony assaults were up 14.7 percent from the previous year, according to the letter.

Neither Lynch nor Patrick Floyd, the Teamsters president, responded to requests for comment.

The NYCHA “has an obligation to provide its residents with housing that is ‘decent, safe, sanitary and in good repair,’” the letter states. “Whether or not this minimum legal standard has been met, it is clear to us that the already-unacceptable crime and public safety conditions in our NYCHA developments have only further deteriorated since your Administration took office.”

Last year, 1,300 more police officers were hired over de Blasio’s initial objections.

Lynch and Floyd said last year’s hires were not enough to address deficiencies in citywide staffing levels. The force has fallen by 6,000 from its pre-September 11 peak.

Having well-lit areas in public housing properties will deter crime, according to the mayor’s criminal justice director.

“The Mayor’s Action Plan for Neighborhood Safety is driven by the idea that deterring crime requires a broad array of strategies beyond traditional law enforcement,” said Elizabeth Glazer, the director, in a statement.

“We know that a well-lit street deters crime better than a dark alley, just as opportunities for work and play promote safety better than disadvantage and disconnection. Finishing the installation of 305 permanent lights at Bushwick Houses is an important next step in this Action Plan and an important milestone for public safety,” Glazer said.

Bill de Blasio’s plan to fight crime in the city’s public housing properties is adding more than 300 LED lights to illuminate darkened areas.

How about gluing an LED light to all the NYCHA resident's heads?
    SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

LED lights. Yeah, that'll work just great.

lmao.

Plea deals seem to work pretty well too, right? Keep your nose clean and everything will be ok.

holy cow, this guy is out to lunch worse than I thought
      Last edited by Lovemyglock; 06-19-2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of the decision to dump tried and true (and paid for) voting machines.
        So which politically connected contractor is getting this gig?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• Lovemyglock
          Lovemyglock commented
          Editing a comment
          we'll find out EVENTUALLY what dummy corp it is. You know now how this crap goes

They break the lights that are there already, what does it matter. And NYCHA never comes to replace them so it's a waste of time and money.

Comment

Led lights to help men find their dicks in the ladies room?
          "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is how liberal mind thinks.

Comment

You guys know how I think, I'm all for tar and feathering this coward. This plan will actually work, it has worked with the generator lighting they throw in project walk ups.

That said, it would be far more cost effective if they would just shoot more savages.

Comment

even so, They dont think that these lights will be shot out or broken? Half of them probably wont even work the following week after they are installed... Just another waste of fuckin money..

Comment

Originally posted by CommackBoy View Post
                  This is how liberal mind thinks.
                  Yes
                  DeBlasio wants to make sure that people can see when the NYPD murders poor neighborhood yutes.
                  "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Because criminals are scared of the light...oh wait.

Not like they'll break the lights...
                    “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

File this along with the IRS firearms expenditure. The gov't laundering our money for us.
                      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Geez...I feel soooo stupid now ...all it takes to secure a neighborhood is install some LED lights....I'm going to run my Christmas lights year round and persuade my neighbors to do likewise..right now! We shall illuminate the shadows with blinding light..its for the children!

Comment

As an electrician, I am all for it. It will put a lot of people to work. Will it help reduce crime? It might, some Likely not much if any, .
                          Will the skells just shoot out or damage the lights, yes, just like the Viper cameras. But by all means have at it, more work for electricians.
                          It's only someone else's tax dollars they are spending.
                          Give peace a chance, I'll cover you in case that doesn't work out.

LIBERALISM should be classified as a MENTAL DISORDER!

Comment

The generator lights work pretty good too. It's a good start but not an end all be all method like the mayor and city council think it will be.

Comment

Working...
                            X