Medical Billing St Catherines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Billing St Catherines

Putting this in crimes section because, well, it should be a crime. My wife had a heart procedure back in July at St Catherines in Smithtown. Prior to her procedure she was given an estimated bill of $1000. Fine. Procedure completed and we receive a bill of about $3300 from the hospital and another bill for over $700 from the anesthesiologist. Come to find out they billed it on a service by service basis rather than the ambulatory surgery it quite clearly was AND that the estimated in on prior to rendering services. After countless calls between my health insurance company and some billing (should be called collections) department that is not even inside the hospital i have gotten no closer to a resolution. Anyone have any advise how to fight this? I could barely afford the $1000 right now let alone 4k+. Do i have to pull a John Q to get this corrected (sarcastic just for the record) ?
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yea agree to send them $10 a month if they do not reduce it to the agreement. They are not going to get it if you never pay.

Comment

call "billing" at hospital they say need to send a letter to PO box in PA that then gets sent out from there to AZ for review.... Seems very Catholic to bill in a way that gets them paid more rather than whats best for the patient.
      "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Email complaint including copies of pre-procedure estimates to CHS and NYS Insurance Commissioner. CC sNews12 and anyone else you can think of.

Comment

What pisses me off is if they billed any insurance company they would get pennies on the dollar. But the jacked-up insane price they want you to pay in full. With that said, I hope your wife is doing well.
          Last edited by ajoe59; 01-24-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

It should be a crime. We had a similar situation with one less zero.

It's amazing that there's a whole field called medical billing, yet none of them can seem to get it right. (At least the ones I've dealt with.)

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

It's amazing that there's a whole field called medical billing, yet none of them can seem to get it right. (At least the ones I've dealt with.)
              they got it right.... right for them.... not for me. gotta be sure those medical execs get their bonuses

Comment

I hear ya. Took an ambulance ride December 30th. CT scan and mri on my brain. Waiting for the bills.

Paul

Comment

you should write a "letter of hardship" explaining the situation and that financially all you can afford is $$$ and you will pay $$ monthly until it is paid off. Then wait for them to respond.
                  Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Tell them you’re here illegally and to send the bill to Cuomo.
                    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

When I get medical bills, it's harder than hell to correlate the bill to the actual medical service provider with whom I thought I had a business and medical relationship.

The field of health care is no longer principally about providing medical services. It's all about billing and catering to whomever is paying. The payer is the decision maker. Under single payer, that ain't you.
                      No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Sounds like they used the wrong billing code. Get the correct codes from the insurance company and tell them to use those.

Comment

Under Obamacare the whole system changed. Additional regulations and mandatory reporting systems were added
                          It's why so many private practices sold out to big corporations. Because the computer work and billing became insane.
                          My friends that are doctors told me they have to input billing codes. They spend more time on the computer than with the patient now.
                          "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

When my younger was about a year old she was in the hospital with a major infection that ultimately required surgery to clear (she recovered quickly and was fine ever since).

Even though we have good insurance I knew we'd have to pay something for it so when I get a letter from this hospital I wasn't surprised.

But.....All the letter was to the effect "Your owe $XXXX.XX for services rendered."

That was it. No date range, no breakdown, certainly no list of services.

So I called and got the run around until I finally was connected with the billing department. I told them I need a an actual bill not just a 1-line letter.
                            Silence.
                            I told them I get bills all the time from doctors, labs etc that show what they charged, what insurance paid, and my amount owed.
                            They said they would send one. Never got it.

Long story short got 3 more letters like that and each time I called for a statement bill. Best I ever got was a couple of screen prints that was all hospital coding gobblety-goo nonsense.

I wasn't going to just blanket pay what they said without confirming it.

Next thing I know I get a letter from the hospital my overdue account was turned over for collections.
                            I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                            I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

That's why you document every kind of correspondence with name spoken to, date and time. Keep a calendar of everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X