Patchogue Man Illegally Sold AR-15 Rifle: DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

I was at work (you know where) and SCPD and ATF came to me house. Fortunately I briefed my wife on the situation, having heard they were doing this. ATF was leading the investigation. He left his card and I called him. He wanted a picture of the lower and a closeup of the serial number. He basically told me to make sure it was still a lower before I took the picture. I could have been a dick and told him to go scratch, but he told me what I needed to do so they would move along. It didn’t hurt that he knew our friend.
    I get it that you did not want to "be a dick" but....

At that point you purchased (I assume) a legal lower with (I assume) a valid serial number. Any evil attachments in the picture and you now have your own problems. Any misunderstood words and you have your own problems.

Could they get a warrant to demand you to show them the lower? On what basis? Yeah, I get it that sending pictures is better than a full search of your premises.

Truly a dilemma. I'm glad it worked out for you.
    ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
    Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Originally posted by incognito View Post

I get it that you did not want to "be a dick" but....

At that point you purchased (I assume) a legal lower with (I assume) a valid serial number. Any evil attachments in the picture and you now have your own problems. Any misunderstood words and you have your own problems.

Could they get a warrant to demand you to show them the lower? On what basis? Yeah, I get it that sending pictures is better than a full search of your premises.

Truly a dilemma. I'm glad it worked out for you.
      I was never under investigation. I had some inside info regarding what was happening so I never feared that my cooperation was going to negatively impact me. I work with Law Enforcement as part of my job and I viewed this as helping LE with their investigation, just as if an officer knocked on my door and asked me if I saw anything the night before related to a crime they were investigating.

Comment

"Chester Pergan, of St. James, was arrested and charged with 69 criminal counts of illegal possession and sale of weapons, according to Sini.
        As part of the investigation, Singh was found to also be involved, the DA said. "

Doesn't say how he was involved with Chester's. could be that he brought a/ some lowers from chesters and the authorities wanted to see them and Singh refused, so they came back with a search warrant... or something more. idk

Article states they recovered "seven illegal assault weapons, and three illegally-configured receivers and parts that were in the process of being assembled, the DA said."

I'm guessing his illegal possession charge is for possession of non-compliant AR15's, and finding banned 15rd mags in his resid.
        illegal sell? maybe didn't use a FFL / because he sold a non-complaint AR15 locally.
        Last edited by Mak45; 06-27-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HulkSmash22 View Post

Not that it’s any of my business, but what would you have done if it wasn’t just a lower anymore? Take it apart? Or what if it was fully assembled but compliant? You can’t tell compliance from a photo, particularly if it has features. Personally, if I was ever contacted, I too would answer their questions. Especially if I’ve done nothing wrong. No point in being a dick and getting a bullseye slapped on you. Now if the guy had something to hide, that’s a different story. He’d be between a rock and a hard place at that point, one would assume.
          I too would comply and do everything in my power not to be in violation of any of the states subjective and bullshit rules. That being said, you hear stories of people getting jammed up because they unknowingly violated one of Cuomo bullshit commandments.

Comment

It's possible that he bought some lowers from Chester's and then could not account for them when SCPD/ATF was conducting their investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

I was never under investigation. I had some inside info regarding what was happening so I never feared that my cooperation was going to negatively impact me. I work with Law Enforcement as part of my job and I viewed this as helping LE with their investigation, just as if an officer knocked on my door and asked me if I saw anything the night before related to a crime they were investigating.
              Im guessing if any little issue they deemed a violation even if a misunderstanding you would have ben plastered aĺl over Newsday everything you own would be spaced out on a table..You would HAVE to post bail .. pay thousands in legal fees probably losing all your guns.. ammo and parts.. On top of that 250 separate charges and become a dangerous Felon.. Crazy to be a law abiding legal citizen makes us all easy targets.. The real crazies dont have these problems..

Comment

Originally posted by Ransom View Post

Im guessing if any little issue they deemed a violation even if a misunderstanding you would have ben plastered aĺl over Newsday everything you own would be spaced out on a table..You would HAVE to post bail .. pay thousands in legal fees probably losing all your guns.. ammo and parts.. On top of that 250 separate charges and become a dangerous Felon.. Crazy to be a law abiding legal citizen makes us all easy targets.. The real crazies dont have these problems..
                Same thing can happen if a neighbor spots you carrying gun cases to your car for a range trip and calls the police saying he felt threatened. It’s a risk all of us take.

Comment

Working...
                X