Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Criminal sues NYPD for catching him too many times. Clearly police harassment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal sues NYPD for catching him too many times. Clearly police harassment.

Well, NYC is a catch a release city I think.
    The cops really should tag them like biologists do bears.
    23 years old and arrested 26 times with 10 sealed cases. Although his attorney says it's less than 26.
    Seems like a nice boy.

Man who recorded Eric Garner's death files $10M harassment suit against NYC

Published July 28, 2016
    Fox News Latino

• Ramsey Orta shot the video of Eric Garner, the NYC man choked to death by police. (2013/DAILY NEWS L.P. (NEW YORK))

• Rev. Al Sharpton introduces Ramsey Orta at the funeral of Eric Garner on July 23, 2014. (AP)

Next SlidePrevious Slide
    Ramsey Orta recorded Eric Garner’s gruesome choking death at the hands of a New York Police Department officer in Staten Island two years ago and made it public to the press and online.

Ever since, he claims, he’s been targeted by the cops, so now Orta has filed a $10 million harassment suit against New York City.

Orta, 23, pleaded guilty to charges of selling heroin in July 2015 and to hiding a handgun in a woman’s pants the year before. He’ll likely he'll be sentenced to four years for the two crimes.

“Despite the murder of Eric Garner by the NYPD, Ramsey Orta, who filmed the incident, is the only person present at the incident who is going to prison because the NYPD engaged in smear tactics, in cooperation with the news media and prepared a tactical plan to set him up for retaliatory arrests,” his Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit reads.

According to Time, an unnamed police source told the Staten Island Advance that Orta had been arrested 26 times in his life, with at least 10 of those cases having been sealed by the courts. His lawyers claim the number of times he's been arrested is far fewer.

Orta, a slight man at 5’6” and weighing 115 pounds, told Time that, in many ways, he wishes he hadn't recorded Garner’s death and getting involved in the way he did. He says if he had to do it again, he’d circulate the video anonymously.

“Sometimes I regret just not minding my business,” Orta tells Time. “Because it just put me in a messed-up predicament.”

On Friday Aug. 1, 2014, the city medical examiner's office ruled that Garner's death a homicide, caused by "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police."The next day, Orta was arrested.

Orta has moved from his home in Staten Island and now lives with his mother and brother.

The New York Daily News was the first outlet that Orta gave his Garner video to, the day after the incident.

“He walks around with fear,” his aunt, Lisa Mercado, told Time. “He was always an outspoken person. He’s not anymore. He talks about, ‘Maybe I should just kill myself. I’m just hurting my entire family.’ He said he knew he was doing the right thing, but it turned out to be hell. It messed us all up.”
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arrested 26 times. All victimless crimes no doubt.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

He didn't use a black gun, did he? No?

Then yeah, it's probably harassment. 🙄
      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
      NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

You lost me at the first sentence of the article:

"Ramsey Orta recorded Eric Garner’s gruesome choking death at the hands of a New York Police Department officer..."

Comment

"Eric Garner, the NYC man choked to death by police."

Excuse me? He wasn't choked to death. Not by a mile. He had a range of health issues that were aggravated when he resisted arrest. He killed himself.

"On Friday Aug. 1, 2014, the city medical examiner's office ruled that Garner's death a homicide, caused by "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police."The next day, Orta was arrested. "

What a joke. He was complaining before the officer even touched him. Had he not resisted arrest he may have been able to get medical attention.
          Last edited by sheeple; 07-31-2016, 03:00 PM.
          “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sheeple View Post
            "Eric Garner, the NYC man choked to death by police."

Excuse me? He wasn't choked to death. Not by a mile. He had a range of health issues that were aggravated when he resisted arrest. He killed himself.

"On Friday Aug. 1, 2014, the city medical examiner's office ruled that Garner's death a homicide, caused by "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police."The next day, Orta was arrested. "

What a joke. He was complaining before the officer even touched him. Had he not resisted arrest he may have been able to get medical attention.
            My Mom loves the TV show "Cops". we all know th e music;"Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do when they come for you...."
            At least 80% of the time that a guy resists and the cop takes him down or tackles him the "suspect" says " I can't breath"

It's amazing. There must be a direct link between crime and asthma.
            "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

My Mom loves the TV show "Cops". we all know th e music;"Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do when they come for you...."
              At least 80% of the time that a guy resists and the cop takes him down or tackles him the "suspect" says " I can't breath"

It's amazing. There must be a direct link between crime and asthma.
              Must be. I had asthma as a kid though and I was into track, soccer, etc. As an 'adult' I completed a Physical Fitness Assessment that lasted 150 minutes, jog, I've been pinned to the ground by a 200+ lb guy in my martial arts class, I've been put in the same holds as these guys, etc. and I've never had a problem (no treatment, but I may have grown out of it). So wtf is wrong with all these guys that "can't breathe"?

Also, criminals aren't exactly trustworthy...you let the guy up and he's liable to pull out a weapon.
              Last edited by sheeple; 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM.
              “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It's true. It's because he video recorded the Garner incident that he's been in trouble.

Somehow, it just makes him continue to break the law, like he did prior to recording the Garner incident. BUT...in this day and age, I can see him winning his lawsuit because of his notoriety, he doesn't have the same opportunity to get away with crimes as the next criminal.
                “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                  It's true. It's because he video recorded the Garner incident that he's been in trouble.

Somehow, it just makes him continue to break the law, like he did prior to recording the Garner incident. BUT...in this day and age, I can see him winning his lawsuit because of his notoriety, he doesn't have the same opportunity to get away with crimes as the next criminal.
                  My guess is he won;t win the law suit.
                  Deblassio will tell the lawyers to settle.
                  After all, a heroin dealer is someone dear to his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

My guess is he won;t win the law suit.
                    Deblassio will tell the lawyers to settle.
                    After all, a heroin dealer is someone dear to his heart.
                    I really wasn't serious. I don't know the facts of his lawsuit. It sounds absurd, but if he has video/witnesses, etc. of cops following him and harassing him - he can certainly win.

But of course, the City will settle. A family member was involved in an incident in the City. The guy had a meat cleaver. The City settled and the Mayor put a medal around my family member's neck in front of the press/photographers. The guy didn't get too long to spend his windfall, he was shot and killed by LAPD a short time later.
                    “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                    Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I really wasn't serious. I don't know the facts of his lawsuit. It sounds absurd, but if he has video/witnesses, etc. of cops following him and harassing him - he can certainly win.

But of course, the City will settle. A family member was involved in an incident in the City. The guy had a meat cleaver. The City settled and the Mayor put a medal around my family member's neck in front of the press/photographers. The guy didn't get too long to spend his windfall, he was shot and killed by LAPD a short time later.
                      LAPD +1

Comment

4 years ??????????????????????????? selling heroin, hiding a handgun in a womans pants was his safe in there? oh I am sure he was just carrying out of class it was a registered hand gun right, so a gun toting drug dealer might do 4 yrs,,,,ok and the problem is gun show/internet loopholes not enough background check scary looking parts on rifles how about 25 yrs no parole and why if he was arrested 26 x is he out on the streets what ever happen to 3 strikes and your done bye bye off to the pokey watch you dont get poked while in the pokey, effing joke but to top it off file a lawsuit ?????? guy has a set of balls no doubt about it.

Comment

LOL yo dog ..Ya wanna hear something else really messed up.... Al Sharpton is gonna take any money you get . AND you still gonna be in a messed up predicament

Comment

I bet the cops were wearing Ballistic helmets, driving humvees and slinging 50 cals when they harassed him.

Comment

As a hard working taxpayer I hope he offs himself soon .

Comment

Working...
                              X