Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will they do for $$$ when all cars go driverless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will they do for $$$ when all cars go driverless?

I saw a headline today that now even Uber is testing driverless cars. Add them to Apple, Google, Tesla, and just about every auto manufacturer on the planet. But what will the govt/LE do for revenue if/when this become the daily norm? No more red light camera tickets, no more cell phone tickets, no more DWI's, no more speeding tickets, no more stop signs, turn signals, etc. They will not be able to operate without the billions of dollars they tax out of us under the guise of safety. Fuck, we have entire court systems that deal strictly with traffic infractions. Will the government shed hundreds of thousands of jobs nationally without the revenue to pay them? Or will they just find amazing new ways to tax the shit out of us? $1000 registration? Mileage taxes? Road taxes? Smart phones and social media have already put our society on the verge of collapse, now we are going to add smart cars?

Just require driverless cars to have a medallion like NYC cabs.
    I think medallions are costing over a million dollars these days.
    That should cover lost revenue.

Comment

Since the "car" will need to constantly communicate with the road there will most likely be a fee based on use. The road, stop signs, etc will communicate with the car.

Comment

Never doubt the governments ability to extort money from its citizens

Comment

Taxes, permits and "government approved" insurance.
          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I'm not a fan of driverless cars but certainly will welcome it once they start using them for Manhattan cabs. To put those stinking, nasty Arabs out of work would make me smile as I'm flagging down a "Johnny cab".
            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Still a long way off. Matt Farah posted a One Take on YouTube with a Tesla that had it. Super dangerous. There will be numerous deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmup View Post

Medallions haven't sold for anywhere near that for a few years, thanks to Uber. Going rate is closer to 600K and sinking fast.
                Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

They used to be well over a million per medallion...not at anymore.they went to shit which is what the huge fight was about bw yellow cabs, uber and the city under bloomturd. They went down to about 6-700k I believe.
                  The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

When someone makes a phone that doesn't crash the app just as I'm about to toss an ultra ball at a Snorlax, I'll listen to driverless car ideas.

Till then, bite me.
                    The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Politicians will make a show of forcing the big multi-million dollar corporations to include the feature on new cars. Ka-ching! Votes! Then when people start dying in horrible accidents because of the asinine "safety feature", the politicians will make a big show of forcing the big multi-million dollar corporations to make it right with the families of the dead and the consumers. Ka-ching! Votes!

This sort of cycle happened with MTBE in gasoline.

Comment

Diesel1 and class3 ........... Didn't realize they dropped so much, but it's still not chump change.
                        My point was that one way or another, the government will figure out how to get a piece of the action.

Comment

Diesel1 and class3 ........... Didn't realize they dropped so much, but it's still not chump change.
                          My point was that one way or another, the government will figure out how to get a piece of the action.

Just looked, turns out it's now $500K

And the other thing most of the good/experienced hacks have moved to black car/Uber/Lyft. Uber and Lyft will basically give out cars with zero down and very manageable payments out of fares. Every yellow cab I have taken this year has had a real off-the-boat operator.
                          Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
                            I saw a headline today that now even Uber is testing driverless cars. Add them to Apple, Google, Tesla,

Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by class3 View Post

Medallions haven't sold for anywhere near that for a few years, thanks to Uber. Going rate is closer to 600K and sinking fast.
                              Very fast. Thank God for capitalism. Or what's left of it

Comment

Working...
                              X