No announcement yet.

Negligent Discharge, One Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just shows the need for teaching firearm use and safety in schools. People never exposed to real firearm education and use tend to do stupid things; treating guns like the toys they think they are... with tragic results.
    GOA * NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER * APPLESEED RIFLEMAN * NYSRPA * NAGR * JPFO

Comment

Originally posted by STARMAN View Post
      Just shows the need for teaching firearm use and safety in schools. People never exposed to real firearm education and use tend to do stupid things; treating guns like the toys they think they are... with tragic results.
      I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Spider. I know that must hit close to the heart but there's no way to anticipate that level of stupid. Maybe just having that story get out there will save someone else's life in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
          Sorry to hear this, Spider. I know that must hit close to the heart but there's no way to anticipate that level of stupid. Maybe just having that story get out there will save someone else's life in a similar situation.
          That's what I want to do, turn a negative into a positive. Post Traumatic Healing Order. Maybe this discussion saves 1000 lives down the line, then this kids death isn't a waste.

Comment

My condolences, Spider. That really sucks. I've walked out of a gun store because some yahoo friend of the owner stepped in behind the counter and was "helping" by showing me hand guns. When I asked him to stop pointing them at me he gave the old "it's not loaded" BS" and I don't think I've been back there.

More importantly, thanks for sharing the story. Stories like this tend to have more influence when they come from someone who was there rather than just from a newspaper or broadcast. Your telling it reminds me of the story linked below. It comes from a retired fighter pilot/writer who witnessed a mishap. When he told the story to other pilots later you can be sure they listened. So as painful as it may be, keep telling this story, especially to new shooters you meet.

https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/20...orst-day-ever/
            "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
            Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
            Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
              My condolences, Spider. That really sucks. I've walked out of a gun store because some yahoo friend of the owner stepped in behind the counter and was "helping" by showing me hand guns. When I asked him to stop pointing them at me he gave the old "it's not loaded" BS" and I don't think I've been back there.

More importantly, thanks for sharing the story. Stories like this tend to have more influence when they come from someone who was there rather than just from a newspaper or broadcast. Your telling it reminds me of the story linked below. It comes from a retired fighter pilot/writer who witnessed a mishap. When he told the story to other pilots later you can be sure they listened. So as painful as it may be, keep telling this story, especially to new shooters you meet.

https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/20...orst-day-ever/
              Love it! Problem is I have too many of these stories to tell and too many dead 20 year olds. I've already lost two this year and it's only May. I feel like I'm not getting through to them.

Comment

Originally posted by gripper 2.0 View Post
                So sorry you had to experience this first hand, because of the way it happend safe to say the shooter was not well versed in firearm safety,,, this I blame on not teaching EVERY CHILD proper firearm safety,,we give them driving lessons ,teach them about vd, the list is long but they are indoctrinated at school that guns are taboo and nobody needs a gun, case in point we had a post recently about some dolt of a pol wanting to pass a law banning school gun clubs. you want to graduate high school pass this firearm safety test with a 100 nothing less
                Yup. Stop, drop and roll, ABC extinguishers, seatbelts, look both ways, don't talk to strangers, cover your mouth, wash your hands, etc. You'd think, don't play with guns would be in there somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                  The stupid is strong here. I was fifty feet away when it happened. I know all the people involved. I just can't believe how dumb this was. On Mother's Day a woman lost her kid.
                  Wow, sucks you were there.
                  This happened in the house you were in at the time? Wow...
                  No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

The house is diagonal to mine. I was out walking the dogs, maybe 50' away, probably less. I never heard the round go off, but all of a sudden I had five police cruisers on my toes and I was directing officers into the building as they arrived. Everybody had their guns out. The fire station is around the corner. It took the EMT's an extra 30 seconds to get there. It just comes up from your feet like a tornado or a whirlwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

We figured it was an OD. The weekend before there were twelve OD's from a bad batch of smack cut with Fentanyl.

Comment

How do you "teach" safety without checking to see if the gun is loaded? Isn't that the first lesson?
                        Yes it is
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

The hardest part for me is that I couldn't stop it from happening.
                          Yeah, that "Ohnosecond", where you know what's coming but can't stop it. Know the feeling.
                          Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

The house is diagonal to mine. I was out walking the dogs, maybe 50' away, probably less. I never heard the round go off, but all of a sudden I had five police cruisers on my toes and I was directing officers into the building as they arrived. Everybody had their guns out. The fire station is around the corner. It took the EMT's an extra 30 seconds to get there. It just comes up from your feet like a tornado or a whirlwind.
                            Damn...
                            No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Sorry you had to experience this Spider. My condolences.

I know what I am talking to my kids about tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Yeah, that "Ohnosecond", where you know what's coming but can't stop it. Know the feeling.
                                Love you, Brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X