See less

Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/multiple-p...opstories.html

At least 12 people were killed and perhaps a dozen others injured late Wednesday at a packed Southern California bar when a gunman dressed in black burst in, tossed smoke grenades and fired off dozens of rounds, witnesses and authorities said.

The suspect was found dead inside the bar, police said. Authorities are working to determine who he is and what his motive may have been.

Sgt. Ron Helus was among the dozen killed, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.

Helus was one of the first on the scene and was fired on multiple times.
    Police said they responded to the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, about 40 miles west of Los Angeles, just before midnight local time.

Hundreds were inside the bar at the time.

"The gunman was throwing smoke grenades all over the place," one witness told ABC Los Angeles station KABC. "I saw him point to the back of the cash register and he just kept firing. I ran out the front door. I hear chairs being thrown out the window. People were trying to get out of the window."
    The gunman used a semi-automatic weapon, according to The Ventura County Star.

Initial reports from officers said about 30 shots were fired.
    The Borderline Bar and Grill is a country-themed bar known for its large dance floor and live music events, according to its website.

"With over 2,500 square feet of wide open dance floor, Borderline has provided a haven for country line dancing folks of all ages equipped with pool tables," the website said. "Over the years, Borderline has hosted many legendary performances such as The Beach Boys, John Rich, Collin Raye, Mark Chesnutt, Lee Brice, Adam Carolla & Tyler Farr to name a few."
    Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

The witness knew enough to say a semi-automatic weapon was used but left out whether it was a pistol or something else.

Was the LEO killed responding to a call or already there?

RIP to the victims.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post
      https://www.yahoo.com/gma/multiple-p...opstories.html...

Sgt. Ron Helus was among the dozen killed, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department.

Helus was one of the first on the scene and was fired on multiple times.
      Obviously not trained at the Sheriff Scott Israel school of mass shooting response. Probably went right in alone. RIP to him and all.
      No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
      Chris

Comment

A witness on Fox said it was a handgun.

Comment

That Sargeant is a hero. RIP and condolences to all the families except the shooter’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
            The witness knew enough to say a semi-automatic weapon was used but left out whether it was a pistol or something else.

Was the LEO killed responding to a call or already there?

RIP to the victims.
            One witness said: "I saw one person shot. It was a hand gun but the guy was throwing smoke grenades."

Another witness inside said: "The gunman walked in and had like a sub machine gun with a big ass magazine.

Comment

RIP Sergeant. Witnesses say it was a handgun

Comment

I read at WZ the initial report was the shooter was a middle eastern man with a beard. That’s now been changed to a light skinned man with dark hair. Thanks FBI for the clarification.
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Get ready, Safe act II will be passed tonight at midnight.

Comment

What happened to all the Cali anti gun laws... I see the work so great.

Comment

How is this possible? California has the strictest gun laws!
                      RIP Sergeant!

Comment

Someone shot up a country bar filled with a few hundred college kids. Perp is either a Muslim or Liberal Extremist.

Comment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ornia-bar.html

If you can believe the brits.....

Officer was highway patrol. he and his partner were first to the scened....got there in three minutes and he went in. hero.

they are reporting bad guy shot himself before swat got there.

no description of shooter other than he wore a mask and glasses.
                          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

R.I.P. Sgt. Helus, and to all the other victims, and prayers to their families.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
                              Get ready, Safe act II will be passed tonight at midnight.
                              I was thinking more like 11PM. Semi automatics are the new assault weapon of mass destruction.

Comment

Working...
                              X