Officer among 12 killed in mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
    But don't worry, I respect your 2nd amendment rights. Pssshh.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
      Again, I don't get why it doesn't sink in. If I want to harm or kill people, I don't need a gun. I don't need a knife. I can use things that are commonly available and can never be outlawed. I'm not throwing ideas out there, but without getting crazy or all McGyver, I can think of plenty of ways to do more harm without ever touching a "weapon" of any sort.

What about in the 80's when they tainted the Tylenol? Something very similar could be done today affecting our food or water supply and kill tens of thousands in no time.

Why is it never stated that the destructive component in all these cases is idiot behind the trigger.....not the tool used.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

Again, I don't get why it doesn't sink in. If I want to harm or kill people, I don't need a gun. I don't need a knife. I can use things that are commonly available and can never be outlawed. I'm not throwing ideas out there, but without getting crazy or all McGyver, I can think of plenty of ways to do more harm without ever touching a "weapon" of any sort.

What about in the 80's when they tainted the Tylenol? Something very similar could be done today affecting our food or water supply and kill tens of thousands in no time.

Why is it never stated that the destructive component in all these cases is idiot behind the trigger.....not the tool used.
        Biggest mass murder in new York state history was caused by a POS with an old bottle and $1 of gasoline.
        The Happy land fire.
        Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Because it’s not about safety for them. It’s about control and trying to appease their fan base that they saved lives by passing strict gun laws. Meanwhile damn near ever day I turn on the news in the morning, someone was shot in NYC and goes completely ignored by them. The only time they want to do something is when they can ride the coat tails of a national headline to get publicity and votes.

Comment

With a dance club that packed, he could have done much much worse by driving a loaded semi into the building. Nobody would be crying to ban semi's. It's not in the liberal agenda.

Comment

It is clear that they don't want to get it. They want to disarm us. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

No doubt the USA lib politics compels the meme of warfighters as broken. My belief is some people with personality issues at discharge had them at induction. Being back in the world without the discipline and routine facilitates the issues coming to a point of conflict.
                I'm actually going through that exact thing with a new friend. He has PTSD from early in Iraq, during the push. Infantry. Came home, got out, got into things he shouldn't have...now he's trying to put the pieces back together. But I'm slowly learning that not all of the pieces were together well before he joined the military.....what is diagnosed as PTSD may have started without any trauma, any stress and any war he was in....

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Gun control is a dog and pony show just like the TSA.
                  Look we did something, your safe now, till the next time.
                  Root cause analysis, you want to really solve a problem, that is step one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

Biggest mass murder in new York state history was caused by a POS with an old bottle and $1 of gasoline.
                    The Happy land fire.
                    Nope. It hasn’t happened yet. The biggest mass murder will take place when everyone who has been living in neighborhoods with contaminated water die from diseases caused by the toxins.

But no worries Andy. Worry about law abiding citizens buying guns.
                    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

They don't actually want it to stop. They want us to stop.

Comment

PTSD is very real. It is very serious and it can range from barely an issue to debilitating. There are mountains of research that support military veterans who suffer from PTSD may have experienced any number of traumatic events during and prior to service. PTSD is also often a knee jerk diagnosis (think ADD in the 80’s and 90’s) that lazy clinicians default to when dealing with veterans.
                        VA is better than non VA in this regard. Cultural competencies among clinicians treating military veterans outside of VA can be minimal. Veterans not understanding how to self advocate and veterans receiving bad advice can fall back on such diagnosis for other reasons too.

At the bottom of the pile for understanding and responsible dialogue are the media. It’s become too easy and too acceptable for them to tag every veteran and often other first responders with this label.
                        Flip side, I’ve never heard a reporter talk about the veteran, cop, firefighter or paramedic with PTSD who did something good, noble, brave or heroic. Nope, fits better into the narrative of how fucked up we are when in fact they are less than clueless.

I dont know anything about the shooter in CA, he may or may not have been suffering from PTSD. He may have who knows what, doesn’t matter.

Prayers to the victims, survivors, their families and the responders who had to be exposed to this terrible thing.

PS: We owe every vet better than generically assuming we are all broken mentally. I know plenty of folks w PTSD and not a one of them is out there doing bad things to others.

Comment

6 off duty LEs were among the patrons at the time of the shooting according to some news sites, not sure if it’s fake news or if they were not armed, I know they are not obliged to act, still a little bit surprised that an on duty officer was the first one to confront the shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by miner View Post
                            6 off duty LEs were among the patrons at the time of the shooting according to some news sites, not sure if it’s fake news or if they were not armed, I know they are not obliged to act, still a little bit surprised that an on duty officer was the first one to confront the shooter.
                            If off duty, at a bar, I would bet they were not carrying. If the report is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by oshwan View Post

If off duty, at a bar, I would bet they were not carrying. If the report is accurate.
                              They should still be carrying at least a pocket gun unless they were planning to get drunk.

The only good NYPD policy I ever heard was the one that required officers to carry off duty.

My mother used to carry her boyfriend's revolver in her purse when they went out together.

Comment

Working...
                              X