Tazing Gone Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tazing Gone Wrong

I'm no expert, I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. But it looks to me like this use of a tazer had some unexpected consequences.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...g3_pmAtBgk.mp4
    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

PS - I don't know why it didn't embed. I used the same icon as I have in the past.
    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Looks like the suspect refused to comply, went for the gun, got tazed as he was holding the gun, convulsively pulled the trigger but still pointed at the police, the cop in the middle fired at least 6-7 rounds, and the suspect went down but is for the moment still alive and conscious.
      I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
      I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
        Looks like the suspect refused to comply, went for the gun, got tazed as he was holding the gun, convulsively pulled the trigger but still pointed at the police, the cop in the middle fired at least 6-7 rounds, and the suspect went down but is for the moment still alive and conscious.
        That's what it looks like to me.
        Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Not a new video. I know a guy who used this video, and a few others, to show the need for ballistic shields and longer-range, less-lethal weapons for patrol officers.
          No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

The TASER causes contraction of the muscles between wherever the probes hit. More likely he pulled the trigger electively and not involuntarily. He just wasn’t fast enough in getting the gun out and aimed where he wanted it.

Another problem is that the most recent generation of police recruits have been sold a bill of goods with regards to use of force training, escalation and deescalation.

Not my intent to Monday morning QB this guy but a TASER with lethal overwatch(which he had) ain’t right when you’re facing a man with a gun. And he needed to get close to make it work. Lots of clothes on that guy which make that less likely. I dunno, moving up on a guy with a gun with no cover seems dim. Patrol rifles and cover is where it’s at.
            When they kick out your front door
            How you gonna come?
            With your hands on your head
            Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
              Not a new video. I know a guy who used this video, and a few others, to show the need for ballistic shields and longer-range, less-lethal weapons for patrol officers.
              There was IMHO no need for less lethal in this scenario. Idiot had gun, refused lawful order to get down, instead quartered away and reached for handgun and got wasted. Am I missing something?
              Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

I don't know the backstory on the situation. Did it come in as a Man with a gun call? I couldn't see a gun until he reached for it and pulled it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

There was IMHO no need for less lethal in this scenario. Idiot had gun, refused lawful order to get down, instead quartered away and reached for handgun and got wasted. Am I missing something?
                  What are you missing? Decades, perhaps, of media immediate, uneducated critiques of police shootings. This has lead to police brass changing police training and policies.
                  While I agree with you in spirit, 2019 New York police officers are expected to do SO much more than to leave cover, close the distance on an armed person who's refusing orders, and force the issue.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I am working under the assumption that the perp firing his gun was an involuntary action resulting from the electricity hitting him. I may be wrong about that. I have no opinion about anything else.
                    Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Why?
                      the handguns seemed to have worked just fine
                      "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

Why?
                        the handguns seemed to have worked just fine
                        See post # 9.

- U.S. Marines

Comment

See post # 9.
                          SMH.
                          when I’m emperor I’ll fix that
                          "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

What are you missing? Decades, perhaps, of media immediate, uneducated critiques of police shootings. This has lead to police brass changing police training and policies.
                            While I agree with you in spirit, 2019 New York police officers are expected to do SO much more than to leave cover, close the distance on an armed person who's refusing orders, and force the issue.
                            It's that way here in Idaho. At least in my little corner of Idaho. If the man isn't an immediate threat (blowing off rounds, charging me with the weapon things like that) we are told to set up a perimeter, contain and bring in more troops. We are always expected to go with talking them down first.

Now I can think of situations , in the past, in which I was on the Taser and another officer was on his firearm. A taser isn't a magic bullet. Sometimes they fail and deadly force might be necessary. You never know and all the training in the world can't prepare you for the goofy stuff that can happen in the world. It's good to have flexibility even if it isn't perfect, but then very little in this world ever is perfect. Personally I don't have any trouble with that part of the video. My only critique is that they could have moved back and boxed him in. However the video isn't enough. I don't know any of the background of the call. So that critique is really not all that valid. The officers might have been acting on information that I have no knowledge of.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkman View Post

It's that way here in Idaho. At least in my little corner of Idaho. If the man isn't an immediate threat (blowing off rounds, charging me with the weapon things like that) we are told to set up a perimeter, contain and bring in more troops. We are always expected to go with talking them down first.

Now I can think of situations , in the past, in which I was on the Taser and another officer was on his firearm. A taser isn't a magic bullet. Sometimes they fail and deadly force might be necessary. You never know and all the training in the world can't prepare you for the goofy stuff that can happen in the world. It's good to have flexibility even if it isn't perfect, but then very little in this world ever is perfect. Personally I don't have any trouble with that part of the video. My only critique is that they could have moved back and boxed him in. However the video isn't enough. I don't know any of the background of the call. So that critique is really not all that valid. The officers might have been acting on information that I have no knowledge of.
                              What just a second there , are you trying to tell me that there is crime and bad people In Idaho? I thought that was saved for Chicago ,NY ,Memphis, South La.
                              Idaho really, .

Comment

Working...
                              X