TSA Security Theater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSA Security Theater

Anyone who travels should agree that TSA is largely a nuisance and largely ineffective agency. Long waits, minimal professionalism, questionable competencies and all at tremendous cost to American taxpayers. Every year we hear about the abysmal rates of detecting or identifying threats at our airports, thank God there have not been serious harm or loss of life through their ineptness.
    Todays stories are no surprise but I think they do continue to make a stoprong case to return airport security to the airlines, at least they are incentivized to run both effective and efficient operations. Airlines are accountable, TSA is not.

http://nypost.com/2017/11/09/tsa-pat...still-useless/

All those pat-downs and all that time in all those TSA lines, and it remains just “security theater”: Transportation Security Administration screeners are still basically worthless. TSA reportedly fails secret test of security measures

TSA reportedly fails secret test of security measures

News out of the House Committee on Homeland Security this week is that TSA agents missed 80 percent of undercover testers’ mock knives, guns and explosives.

Officials weren’t giving the exact number, but a similar audit two years back found a 95 percent failure rate — so maybe they’ve improved from utterly hopeless to mostly worthless.

The TSA announced it’s taking the findings “very seriously” and “implementing measures that will improve screening effectiveness.” Shooting for a 30 percent success rate, maybe?

Yes, even incompetents provide some deterrent value: It’s one more worry for a prospective terrorist. And screeners aren’t the only thing that the TSA’s $7.5 billion-a-year budget goes for.

But it’s still undeniable that the main achievement of the TSA’s most public activity is inflicting pointless delays and inconvenience on travelers.

Feels like the pat downs are just the 'agents' enjoying themselves at your expense. Same with the body scanners.

How the hell do you miss someone carrying guns, knives, or explosives if you're doing your job properly? 30% is not acceptable.
    Last edited by sheeple; 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM.
    “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well the way things are going, I think we may have found a solution for all the out of work perverts in Hollywood. TSA can hire them and they can continue to grope and grab 'till their black, soulless hearts are content.

Comment

Got through with a water bottle last week.

Comment

My wife, the baby, and I flew from JFK to PBI ( Palm Beach, FL) and back about a month ago. We went through JFK security super quick, left my laptop in the TSA approved pouch that folds out on my backpack, left my CPAP in the backpack etc. Gate checked the car seat which took just a few seconds to swab and test. Flying home through PBI was nightmare, forced us to take almost everything out of each bag we were carrying on including the diaper bag and swabbed almost everything.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
            My wife, the baby, and I flew from JFK to PBI ( Palm Beach, FL) and back about a month ago. We went through JFK security super quick, left my laptop in the TSA approved pouch that folds out on my backpack, left my CPAP in the backpack etc. Gate checked the car seat which took just a few seconds to swab and test. Flying home through PBI was nightmare, forced us to take almost everything out of each bag we were carrying on including the diaper bag and swabbed almost everything.
            That's part of my point, the inconsistencies across the system. Assuming the threat level and how and with what you present are the same, the experience should be fairly similar. A good plan is for them to not be too predictable in their application of inspections but I don't give them credit for having a too sophisticated strategy. They are too random and subjective.
            If they were making us safer, more power to them, but IMO, they don't. For the costs and impact on traveling citizens they have, I think airlines would do a better, more thorough, more efficient, more traveler friendly, more cost effective job.

On the other hand, you can look a little shifty 😁

Comment

I've had them miss a box of ammo in my jacket pocket (when I got on base to my quarters I looked because I was wondering why my jacket felt so heavy I almost crapped a pickle - the trouble I could have seen for that! Yikes!)

OTOH - just look at what they hire... I've seen them not even blink when alarms start going off... which had me hollering at a "supervisor"

It's a joke - which I why I started calling it "security theater" 20+ years ago.

Comment

For three years (2010 ish) I flew out of JFK multiple times a year, accidently with a three inch blacksmiths ye-old-world forged nail in my bag...... it was hand made by a guy down in VA. A nice keep-sake. I probably flew a dozen times with it.

Then some TSA yahoo finally discovers it and I have to toss it.

Find it the first time, and every time, or you’re not doing your job properly.

They never catch my screw drivers, tools and other junk either.... but they’ll find a 5oz bottle of shampoo and give me shit.
                NRA LIFE | SAF | NYSRPA | EFF | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

I live within the "TSA THEATER", and it is a scary, scary place to be. The square-badge brigade think waaaay too much of themselves. Have video of one bent over a back room desk, getting plowed from behind. And what a shock....cameras everywhere in a secured area. Who-da-thunk it? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                    I live within the "TSA THEATER", and it is a scary, scary place to be. The square-badge brigade think waaaay too much of themselves. Have video of one bent over a back room desk, getting plowed from behind. And what a shock....cameras everywhere in a secured area. Who-da-thunk it? Lol
                    Two questions - was it a SHE? and... Was she hot? If so, why haven't you posted it yet?

Comment

That may "out" the source. And yes, it was a "she" lol.

Comment

I’ve been in jfk at 430 in the morning and got to watch there morning meeting they do by the cafe. All I can say is by the looks of the tsa creatures and how well they listened to their (boss?) that I would feel safer if isis was incharge of the screenings.
                        III%

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

Working...
                          X