No announcement yet.

Assange: Smug, Treasonous POS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Umm. How were we supposed to know about the blatant spying on American citizens? In your opinion what should have been the protocol to distribute that information

Comment

Originally posted by miner View Post
      Isn’t this a dupe, or the op thinks his point will be heard only with a new topic title?
      dups happen often, i do not believe this was the Op intentions. Having said that,and meeting the Op on several occasions, he seems more concerned about the harm that might’ve/probably befell people who are on the frontlines. I agree with some other members here about how else do we find out about leaks and government overreach. Its a fine line between treason and patriotism (not saying Assonge is either). Without whistle- blowers , investagative reporters and the like we will only hear what they want us to hear. And that is completely unacceptable to me and I’m sure all of us here.
      A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

I like transparency. I think Wikileaks is the perfect use of the internet.
        I like transparency too. Too much of what the government does is obfuscated under false claims of national security.

But some of what the government does is a matter of national security. Stealing national security secrets is treason. Knowingly making them public should also be. It gets people killed and makes the entire nation more vulnerable.

Journalists have 1st Amendment protections. Along with that comes the responsibility to know the difference. And it should be required by law. If they can't stomach it, GTFO of the business and go do something else.
        No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

I like transparency too. Too much of what the government does is obfuscated under false claims of national security.

But some of what the government does is a matter of national security. Stealing national security secrets is treason. Knowingly making them public should also be. It gets people killed and makes the entire nation more vulnerable.

Journalists have 1st Amendment protections. Along with that comes the responsibility to know the difference. And it should be required by law. If they can't stomach it, GTFO of the business and go do something else.
          I'd rather ere on the side of transparency. 130 million people were exterminated by their own government in the 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by miner View Post
            Isn’t this a dupe, or the op thinks his point will be heard only with a new topic title?
            If it’s a dupe, close and merge please.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
              I dont know what I hate more, treasonous assholes, or a corrupt out of control government..........
              Exactly you forgot the propaganda lying media..
              Maybe we need more people to show the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post

journalism was rarely honorable and often biased, , just look at Hamilton’s manipulation with the NY post, the election between Adams and Jefferson, the history of yellow journalism...but they all understood the freedom of the press to protect liberty.

The government is not above the law. When they infringe on rights or break laws they need to be held accountable too. Assange intentions are clear. He is a free market libertarian trying to protect liberty by exposing government overreach. He has sacrificed his life as well to defend our countrys liberty and he is not even a citizen.

Plus this isn’t even just a libertarian perspective, well known Conservatives and Neoconservatives defend Assange as heard in this foxnews clip. They make good points too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_hBRn6bfY

Manning intentions is a different story then Assange. But it doesn’t change the fact that a red flag was brought to Assange attention and he reported on it.
                It’s a fine line between whistle blowing and irresponsible theft and disclosure of government secrets. IMHO, that line was crossed. Sure, our government, every government, does some shady or shitty shit. That is not a justification to endanger people. The cynic in me would question who within a government to turn to with sensitive information, who to trust. I’d also hope to strike a balance and since we each have different values and opinions, who’s to say who is right or wrong.
                Once upon a time even the press had more respect for sensitive issues and matters of privacy.
                What Wiki, Manning and others did jeopardized, probably cost American and allied lives.
                Its never pleasant to know everything about how the sausage is made but this went too far and I hope he is held accountable. If nothing else he isn’t likely to get pardoned for a while if he is convicted.

Who is/was Assange to be the arbiter of what secrets should remain secret? Walk a mile in the boots of the guys whose asses were on the line and I’ll have more respect for him having the competency to do that.
                Finally, sometimes sources and methods (which they revealed) are more valuable than any individual. Sources and methods can remain viable for generations and can be impossible to replicate.

Comment

Originally posted by billybonds View Post
                  i dont know what i hate more, treasonous assholes, or a corrupt out of control government..........
                  ^^^ this right here

Comment

Interesting ..... https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aring-pentagon

"Counter-intelligence officer who investigated WikiLeaks impact undermines argument that Manning leak put lives at risk"
                    If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

Do you really believe all the media reports on this guy??? I'm with Billybonds it's all bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

It’s a fine line between whistle blowing and irresponsible theft and disclosure of government secrets. IMHO, that line was crossed. Sure, our government, every government, does some shady or shitty shit. That is not a justification to endanger people. The cynic in me would question who within a government to turn to with sensitive information, who to trust. I’d also hope to strike a balance and since we each have different values and opinions, who’s to say who is right or wrong.
                        Once upon a time even the press had more respect for sensitive issues and matters of privacy.
                        What Wiki, Manning and others did jeopardized, probably cost American and allied lives.
                        Its never pleasant to know everything about how the sausage is made but this went too far and I hope he is held accountable. If nothing else he isn’t likely to get pardoned for a while if he is convicted.

Who is/was Assange to be the arbiter of what secrets should remain secret? Walk a mile in the boots of the guys whose asses were on the line and I’ll have more respect for him having the competency to do that.
                        Finally, sometimes sources and methods (which they revealed) are more valuable than any individual. Sources and methods can remain viable for generations and can be impossible to replicate.
                        Change out "Assange" to "Newsday" or "Washington Post" or "NY Times" or etc.... Either they are all "guilty" or all "not guilty". We can't pick and choose which.
                        If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

You have to be a fool to think the Media is not controlled .. lucky if we can get some real news at all.. NEVER TRUST THE MEDIA

Comment

I tend to side with the people governments are trying to silence.
                            Steve
                            People are crazy and times are strange
                            I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
                            I used to care but........ things have changed

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
                              Without Assange, it’s very likely Clinton would be President today
                              Hillary19.jpg
                              I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                              I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

All Assange did, was report the truth. Ultimately it was the government that put our troops lives at risk.

If the government stayed true to its original purpose. Wikileaks would be irrelevant. There is a reason the founders valued freedom of speech and press. It wasn’t to talk about the weather. It was to protect very controversial and dangerous conversations that would fight against a tyrannical government. Just like the second amendment

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

Working...
                                X