Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9/11 15th Anniversary TV Programming

911-dated_fs-horizontal-poster.jpg?w=300&h=169.jpeg
    As incredible as it may seem, this year marks the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that forever changed America and the world. The 9/11 15th anniversary will undoubtedly be marked in a number of ways, including with TV specials and documentaries that range from a look at the attacks on the Pentagon, to a chronicle of the triumphant rise of Freedom Tower on the site of the New York attack.

Each year there are always notable TV programs that remember that tragic day, but given that this is the 9/11 15th anniversary, there is a particular increase in documentaries and other programming. Here are some of the highlights airing in the days and weeks leading up to Sept. 11, 2016 (the list will be updated as we hear more).

9/11 15th Anniversary TV Programming (All Times Eastern) (Updated 9/2/16 10:15am CT)

Ground Zero Rising: Freedom vs. Fear — Sept. 1 at 10pm on CNBC. CNBC anchor Jim Cramer reports in this one-hour documentary that tells the story of the revitalization of the 16-acre site of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, which has emerged as a place reborn. Taking more than six years and nearly $4 billion to complete, One World Trade Center is the most expensive skyscraper in the world, and stands as proof of American tenacity and resilience.

15 Septembers Later — Sept. 5 at 9pm on History. This new special leads History’s week of 9/11 commemorative programming, which also includes two other original primetime documentaries and a series of digital shorts. This program examines 9/11 through the lens of stories and information uncovered over the last 15 years, offering a new perspective on the historic events of that day. The program features recently declassified materials and new interviews with a number of individuals who played key roles in the events of that day, some telling their stories for the first time. John Lehman, a former member of the 9/11 Commission, speaks to the 28 pages from the 9/11 report which were only declassified this summer that allege that some of the “hijackers were in contact with and received support or assistance from individuals connected with the Saudi government.” Major Heather Penney, the F-16 pilot who was assigned the impossible task of intercepting United Airlines Flight 93, recounts her story for the first time. We hear from Ben Sliney, who on his first day as the new FAA National Operations Manager made the decision to clear American airspace and led the effort to land every non-military plane over the U.S. Also interviewed is White House photographer Eric Draper whose recently declassified photos capturing the White House response to the attack are featured. 15 Septembers Later also includes a new, rare interview with President George W. Bush, as well as new interviews with former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Vice President Dick Cheney, Andrew Card, Leon Panetta, Senator Chuck Schumer, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Governor George Pataki, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, and other government officials, journalists and eyewitnesses.

9/11 Inside the Pentagon — Sept. 6 at 8pm on PBS (check local listings). This hourlong documentary reveals new, firsthand accounts of the attack that took place at the heart of the United States’ military headquarters, during which nearly 200 people from inside the building and onboard American Airlines Flight 77 perished.

9/11: As We Watched — Sept. 6 at 10pm on American Heroes Channel. Produced with ABC News, this special recounts Sept. 11, 2001, through the eyes of that news organization, as the late, legendary Peter Jennings, along with Diane Sawyer, George Stephanopoulos and dozens of journalists rushed to the scene of the chaos and embarked upon what would be 83 hours of live coverage.

Capturing Bin Laden — Sept. 7 at 10pm on American Heroes Channel. This documentary tracks the rise and fall of the man who spent the decade following the 9/11 attacks at the top of America’s Most Wanted list. Drawing on extensive archives from ABC News’ in-depth and award-winning reporting on the emergence of Osama bin Laden, this all-new special chronicles his rise—from a shadowy figure financing international terrorist attacks, to the intelligence that identified him as the 9/11 mastermind—and fall, culminating with SEAL Team Six’s heroic and harrowing confrontation with at a safe-house in Pakistan that ended the 10 year cat-and mouse game to capture the world’s most deadly terrorist.

FOX News Channel 9/11 15th Anniversary coverage — Sept. 11 beginning at 6am on FOX News Channel. FNC will present special live programming to commemorate the 15-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, beginning with FOX and Friends Sunday and continuing through primetime. Hosted by weekday co-hosts Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt and Brian Kilmeade, FOX and Friends Sunday (6-10am) will present the yearly “Flashback 9/11: As It Happened” package, as well as take the moment of silence at 8:46am, marking the time when the first plane hit. At 10am, anchor Jon Scott will present a two-hour special entitled 9/11: 15 Years Later to reflect on the changes and challenges Americans have faced since that tragic day over a decade ago. FNC’s Maria Bartiromo will anchor a live hour of Sunday Morning Futures at 12pm, followed by America’s Election Headquarters at 1pm, anchored by Shannon Bream & Leland Vittert. At 2pm, Chris Wallace will anchor FOX News Sunday, followed by another edition of America’s Election Headquarters anchored by Eric Shawn and Arthel Neville from 3-5pm and 6pm. At 5pm, FNC will present a special hour of MediaBuzz, hosted by Howard Kurtz, followed by FOX Report Sunday, anchored by Harris Faulkner, at 7pm. Additionally, chief political anchor Bret Baier will debut a special edition of Special Report at 8pm, which will run each Sunday in primetime through the election.

​​​​​CNN today announced the acquisition of the Peabody and Emmy® Award-winning documentary ‘9/11,’ ahead of the 15th anniversary of the attacks on America. The film is directed, filmed, and executive produced by Gédéon and Jules Naudet, French-born filmmakers and brothers, and by retired Manhattan firefighter James Hanlon. The acquisition means that CNN Films will work with the team to update the film for the 2016 edition, and will retain worldwide broadcast rights for the film franchise and its archival material in perpetuity.

Award-winning actor, producer, and founder of The Leary Firefighters Foundation Denis Leary will introduce the new anniversary edition of the film, reflecting upon the heroism of the firefighters who responded that day. From the site of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York City that commemorates the fallen, including 343 members of the New York City Fire Department, Leary will recall the bravery and emotions of the events in New York City on Sept. 11, 2001, and beyond.

The CNN Films Presents premiere of the two-hour film‘9/11 Fifteen Years Later’ will debut with limited commercial interruption, in back-to-back broadcasts, on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016, at 8:00pm and 11:00pm on CNN/U.S.. On CNN International, ‘CNN Films Presents 9/11 Fifteen Years Later’ will premiere Sunday, Sept. 11 at 6:00am, with encore broadcasts at 3:00pm and 8:00pm. CNN en Español will broadcast the film on Sunday, Sept. 11 at 8:00pm. All times Eastern.

D695-2.jpg?1459923463.jpeg

I don’t watch this type of programming.

I remember it as it occurred, and it will forever be seared in my DNA.

Programs like this make me mad because they are another reminder that little has changed since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post
      I don’t watch this type of programming.

I remember it as it occurred, and it will forever be seared in my DNA.

Programs like this make me mad because they are another reminder that little has changed since 2001.
      oh I disagree...................we have slip backwards way back. We have a race war on our hands ,led by a elected president, we have a war on law enforcement ,thanks to face book you tube and every other streaming media that shows one side of the action. we have more entitlement because what happened 100 years ago with slavery was wrong ,and those people are all long gone but some how we are responsible. you dont count if you lost family or ancestors to Hitler, the Russians and that crew. Lets pick and choose who we feel sorry for.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post

oh I disagree...................we have slip backwards way back.
        Things have been bad in the U.S. for a long time, way before 2001.

I was a student when I saw many of my fellow “Black” students glued to a television.

To me, it was just another day of the week.

To these students, it was much, much, more.

It was the day that the O.J. Simpson verdict was announced.

I was not following the trial very close because the evidence of guilt seemed overwhelming to me.

Either way, I was shocked when I saw these students cheer loudly when the jury foreperson announced that O.J. was found not guilty.

At that point it became even more evident to me that many perceive there to be a “Tale of Two Cities”.

Comment

I was working at CNN in midtown that day. It went from the most beautiful, tranquil Tuesday morning to the worst, most chaotic day in a matter of minutes. 2 people I knew were murdered when the buildings came down.

Comment

I'll be in Shanksville, PA on 9-11; the site of the Flight 93 crash, to honor those who gave all they had.
            I'm humbled to have been asked to attend.
            Never forget.

Comment

Every year i become more bitter at all of the "patriots for a day".

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post
                Every year i become more bitter at all of the "patriots for a day".
                Try to focus on the 24x7x365 patriots.

I thank God there are more than a few of them and I wish I could express my gratitude to each and every one of them.

Comment

This years' HS freshmen class will be the first to have 9/11 taught in a history book since most weren't alive at the time.

Think about it.
                  I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                  I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Watch United 93 every year on 9/11 and review calls/footage from that day. I was only in elementary school...was out for a checkup at the doctors office when the first plane hit. Remember coming home and seeing the second one hit. Sat there watching the names, ages, and faces of the people murdered. Saw the smoke from the towers, and my ceilings were black for a few days.

Will never forget who did it and why.
                    Last edited by sheeple; 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM.
                    “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
                      This years' HS freshmen class will be the first to have 9/11 taught in a history book since most weren't alive at the time.

Think about it.
                      Seems a lot of people need reminding that Islamic Extrmism declared war on the United States of America on that day in September, give our military the independent authorization to perform surgical strikes in all areas known to sympathize with any Islamic Extremist group until the threat is neutralized once and for all.

Comment

We have a ceremony at my sons eagle project in Holbrook every year. Fewer and fewer attend, last year we had 4, history ignored is history repeated.

Comment

People continue to die from illnesses from the exposure and no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Beach Tony View Post

Seems a lot of people need reminding that Islamic Extrmism declared war on the United States of America on that day in September, give our military the independent authorization to perform surgical strikes in all areas known to sympathize with any Islamic Extremist group until the threat is neutralized once and for all.
                            Tony that war was declared with the first trade center bombing in '93. Bush 1 put the wheels of retaliation in motion just after that attack. He didn't have enough time left in office to accomplish
                            much and was replaced with the useless clown slick willie who put it on the back shelf. Clinton was more interested in putting American lives at risk to save muslims in Bosnia. It was mere months
                            after his watch ended that we were hit and so many liberals were so quick to blame it on Bush 2 when in fact the terrorists plans were in motion years before he was elected.
                            The libs are soooo quick to point out how 'bama got bin laden when in fact it was Bush 2 who had that working years before he got into office, all he did was say go to a plan enacted by Bush in 2002!
                            It's amazing that is one of the very few things that happened under his administration that he didn't blame on Bush and was willing to take full credit for.
                            Imagine if he actually gave a stand down order instead of a go order? It would have leaked and he would have been thrown out of office, shame that didn't happen.

Fast forward to today, we are weaker on the world stage than we were prior to WWII and have a muslim in chief who refuses to go after his brotha's. If the incentive was there we could wipe these
                            islamo nazi's off the face of the earth within 6 weeks. Give our boys the will, they have the way to get it done

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post

Think about it.
                              Im afraid that 15 years from now, it will be removed from the history books........liberals and their muslim scum buddies will claim it never happened
                              "The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X