Smoking a brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a brisket

Today makes for a perfect today to smoke a nice 4lb brisket for dinner.

Started off cutting down the fat cap a bit and rubbing this thing down with mustard to keep the dry rub on.

Went from the red cap to this blue cap rub because it has 50% less salt. The other one was a bit much.

Started it around 7:00 am and this is around 4 hours in. Checked the probe temp and refilled the apple juice container. Cooked with the fat cap up this time to see if it makes a difference in meat tenderizing.

It will be cooked until it hits an internal temp of around 205, then pulled and foiled and gets to rest in a cooler for a couple of hours. Should be tasty.

I'll post pics of the results.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Looks good. Care to share your recipe?

Comment

Nice, I have a cryovacced choice full packer in the freezer waiting for Memorial Day. I like to do them Texas style with just coarse salt and pepper.
      Ben

Comment

I've been wanting to get into smoking for a while now.

What kind of smoker do you have?

We need more pics! More details!!
        If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

Mine is a Camp Chef pellet smoker private labeled by Browning. I figured it was a good way to start smoking and plan to move up to to a Traeger someday. Got it before Thanksgiving when Woot had a good deal on it. This was my first brisket. Hopefully they keep getting better.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice smoke ring, where's the resident smoker? Gonna have to try this one day
            The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post
              Mine is a Camp Chef pellet smoker private labeled by Browning. I figured it was a good way to start smoking and plan to move up to to a Traeger someday. Got it before Thanksgiving when Woot had a good deal on it. This was my first brisket. Hopefully they keep getting better.
              Damn, that smoker looks nice!

Is that wire a temp probe for the meat?

ETA: that brisket looks great

Comment

Now I'm in the mood for some pastrami

Comment

I made my own UDS, Ugly Drum Smoker, using a 55 gallon drum from Trade Fair Hardware in Amityville, some plumbing parts, expanded steel, and some stainless zip ties from HD and Lowes and a 22" and an 18" Weber kettle grill grates from an old kettle I had and an additional 22" grate I bought, and a pizza pan.

The drum

The charcoal basket

Some of the food I have made on it.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Tonto View Post

Damn, that smoker looks nice!

Is that wire a temp probe for the meat?

ETA: that brisket looks great
                    Yes. There's a push button on the control panel that allows you to show the smoker temp or the probe temp.

Comment

Originally posted by chiburger View Post
                      Looks good. Care to share your recipe?
                      Take the brisket and rinse it off. I then dry it and cover it with mustard. Cover the whole thing with rub and let it rip. I switch up the wood species I use and this one is being done with 25% pecan, cherry, applewood and hickory.

Comment

Hit 205 degrees in about 8 hours. Has a nice bark on it. Now it sits and rests for some time and then it will die a glorious death.

Comment

If I get my house straightened out this summer hopefully I can start smoking at the end of summer fall

Comment

Looks good!!! Now I need to wait for a Woot deal on a smoker. LOL

Originally posted by Paté View Post

Comment

LIG = Long Island Gourmet?

Comment

Working...
                              X