Thanksgiving food traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving food traditions

ok, for my house it is turnips. I make em and basically treat the chore like I’m making great mashed potatoes. Salt and pepper are better in the prep than at the table and I use 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 heavy cream for the liquid.

Oh, turnips vs parsnips? Don’t care.

Whatta ya got folks?

Is this strictly a tradition or is there some modicum of enjoyment to be had by consuming this "edible" item?
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
      Is this strictly a tradition or is there some modicum of enjoyment to be had by consuming this "edible" item?
      We enjoy them. I did grow up with these at the holiday table every year so that may be part of it. When I married into my wife’s Italian/Polish Family they had never had them before, now not a holiday passes without turnips on the table, to a person her family are fans of turnip.

Comment

Mrs. Barnslayer made them for my brother-in -law when everyone used to come to our house for Thanksgiving. I never had even the slightest urge to try them. Nobody ate them besides my BIL.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
          Mrs. Barnslayer made them for my brother-in -law when everyone used to come to our house for Thanksgiving. I never had even the slightest urge to try them. Nobody ate them besides my BIL.
          Some people find them bitter. Like I said, we like them, a lot actually. That said, if I were ever judged on some of the shit I’ve eaten I’d never be considered a good barometer of what’s good and what’s not.

Try making a smal boatch and treat them just just like potatoes, never know.

Comment

Turnips are a Finnish tradition in a casserole at Christmastime and other holidays. I've had them prepared that way and they are delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Llaara View Post
              Turnips are a Finnish tradition in a casserole at Christmastime and other holidays. I've had them prepared that way and they are delicious.
              How are they integrated into the casserole?

Comment

We eat like we have 5 assholes.
                antipasto to start with fresh Italian bread
                usual tgiving fare after then add in some lasagna or manicotti......
                the usual tradition though is stuffed artichokes and chestnuts after dinner.

Comment

My Thanksgiving tradition is usually working the evening. Growing up in a military/civil service (Irish Welfare) family, our holidays are usually a week or two after most people celebrate it - and oftentimes we just skipped it as it was impossible for everyone's works schedule to coincide.
                  Last edited by Dan 0351; 11-21-2018, 01:16 PM.
                  "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Sad but so true. A shame most folks don’t understand sacrificing holidays is another byproduct for many in civil service.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

How are they integrated into the casserole?
                      Crap, Tom, I'm usually never at a loss for words, but this is a tough question. I have eaten them, but I've never made them. I think there's some carrot added, maybe some sweet stuff, etc. etc. and Voila! Tasty dish!

Comment

Cranberry from a can.
                        “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
                          We eat like we have 5 assholes.
                          antipasto to start with fresh Italian bread
                          usual tgiving fare after then add in some lasagna or manicotti......
                          the usual tradition though is stuffed artichokes and chestnuts after dinner.
                          I married into an Italian Family with seafood and shellfish allergies. Talk about short straw.
                          Even minus the fish and some other goodies it’s a wonder our stomachs or hearts don’t explode. The second most important part of Thanksgiving (and Easter and Christmas) dinner is staking our your nap spot for after dinner. It looks like we were gassed after dinner, people laying everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                            Sad but so true. A shame most folks don’t understand sacrificing holidays is another byproduct for many in civil service.
                            Take the good with the bad.
                            "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

My girlfriend's dad mashes them up and makes it sweet, almost like a fig spread. I tried it for the first time last summer and really enjoyed it
                              It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
                              This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
                              We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
                              Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

Working...
                              X