No announcement yet.

My new hobby - YouTube cooking channel and blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you do brisket, do you separate the point from the flat before smoking? I haven't tried that yet, but I've seen a few vids of others doing it.
    If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

Originally posted by Tonto View Post

I have a Pitboss Austin XL. Love it.
      I have an older Pitboss 820D, it works well but before next summer I am going to upgrade the controller to the Rec Tec wireless controller. It is a true PID controller and should have more stable temperatures. Everything I read about the Austin XL is great. I think the Austin has their newest board which might be PID control.

I have 2 full briskets in the deep freezer right now, along with an assortment of other meats/cuts.

Kids love when I do wings on the smoker.

Next up for me is doing another smoked turkey breast, wrapped in bacon. Comes out so juicy! Wife wants me to do a few of them for Thanksgiving instead of traditional roast turkey.

Pastrami comes out nice too!

I will have to give the wings a try, one of the videos I want to post is of some wings done in the style of a Chinese restaurant in Rhode Island where I grew up, they are coated in a super sticky glaze that is unbelievable. I am not sure how I will cook the wings yet. I was debating oven, grill, griddle or air fryer.

I am not a turkey fan at all, and we don't host Thanksgiving any more so I don't really make turkey, we used to deep fry ours.

I am dying to do a pastrami from scratch, take a brisket, make corned beef with it and then smoke it.

That sounds interesting!
      You take a chuck roast, you could do it all on the smoker, but I sous vide it for 36-48 hours at 135 deg F, once it is done with sous vide cooking, you cool it off, cut it into chunks and cover the chunks with rub and put in the smoker on low temp to get some smoke into them, then you start brushing them with BBQ sauce that has been cooked down to thiand put them back in the smoker for the sauce to turn into a glaze.

When you do brisket, do you separate the point from the flat before smoking? I haven't tried that yet, but I've seen a few vids of others doing it.
      I don't separate the point from the flat, I use Aaron Franklin's trimming style and seasoning and cooking method with the brisket. I had tried one a different way when I first got my smoker adn it was awful. The next one I did using Aaron Franklin's videos as a guide and it was awesome so I have done the rest that way.
      Ben

Comment

Thank you all who have subscribed and watched the videos. Almost 12% of all of my traffic comes from links I posted here plus however many of you are now subscribed and just browse through YouTube. I hit a few milestones yesterday and over the past week with your help. I started the channel on August 23rd with my first two videos for a time reference.

20200910 Milestone Collage.jpg
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
          I will have to give the wings a try, one of the videos I want to post is of some wings done in the style of a Chinese restaurant in Rhode Island where I grew up, they are coated in a super sticky glaze that is unbelievable. I am not sure how I will cook the wings yet. I was debating oven, grill, griddle or air fryer.
          I'll be looking forward to seeing that!

I am not a turkey fan at all, and we don't host Thanksgiving any more so I don't really make turkey, we used to deep fry ours.
          You would be if you used this method. MY wife wasn't, but loves the bacon wrapped style. A frozen Butterball works well (defrosted of course).

I am dying to do a pastrami from scratch, take a brisket, make corned beef with it and then smoke it.
          I pick up corned beefs on sale & put them in the deep freezer. I'll take 1 or 2 out, defrost them & then soak them in water for at least 24 hours, changing the water every 6 hrs. It draws out the excess salt. Then pastrami rub & smoke it!

I don't separate the point from the flat, I use Aaron Franklin's trimming style and seasoning and cooking method with the brisket. I had tried one a different way when I first got my smoker adn it was awful. The next one I did using Aaron Franklin's videos as a guide and it was awesome so I have done the rest that way.
          I've been following Franklin for some time. Even have his book. I also follow Malcom Reed (@howtobbqright) and now Chef Tom (@allthingsbbq)
          I've never separated the brisket but might try it the next time.

Comment

I have an older Pitboss 820D, it works well but before next summer I am going to upgrade the controller to the Rec Tec wireless controller. It is a true PID controller and should have more stable temperatures. Everything I read about the Austin XL is great. I think the Austin has their newest board which might be PID control.

You take a chuck roast, you could do it all on the smoker, but I sous vide it for 36-48 hours at 135 deg F, once it is done with sous vide cooking, you cool it off, cut it into chunks and cover the chunks with rub and put in the smoker on low temp to get some smoke into them, then you start brushing them with BBQ sauce that has been cooked down to thiand put them back in the smoker for the sauce to turn into a glaze.

I think that I just gained a couple of pounds just reading your chuck roast description, lol. Aaaand, now I'm hungry again.

Comment

Good morning everyone! My newest video and recipe are up. This one from the kitchen. Chicken Pot Pie! This recipe uses some cheats which makes it easy to turn out a pot pie with a flavorful creamy filling, tender chicken, perfectly cooked vegetables, and a flaky crust in just about an hour which makes it a great weeknight meal.

I hope you enjoy it! If you do please like the video and subscribe to my channel. I will be posting new videos every Tuesday and Thursday morning with others thrown in here and there.

This is a sneak peek at the next 2 videos which will be going up. I just have not decided in what order.

ABTs - Atomic Buffalo Turds - Jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and sharp cheddar mixed with BBQ rub, a little smoky sausage, all wrapped in bacon, coated with more rub, and then smoked for an hour and a half.

New England Clam Chowder and Clam Cakes - Creamy New England clam chowder with bacon, potatoes, onion, and lots of clams with some clam cakes, Rhode Island style fritters stuffed with clams perfect for dipping into the clam chowder.

Chicken Pot Pie YouTube Thumbnail.png
              Ben

Comment

Tonto my first smoker recipe and video are up. ABTs - Atomic Buffalo Turds. These are not your normal jalapeno poppers, they are a step above a popper like you will find in most restaurants. Spicy, sweet, salty, smokey, and creamy they hit all of the taste buds. They are stuffed with a cream cheese mixture with sharp cheddar and BBQ rub, topped with a Hillshire Farms Lil' Smokie sausage, wrapped in bacon, coated in more rub, and then smoked.

Click the image to view the video on Youtube.

ABTs Youtube Thumbnail REV2.png
                Ben

Comment

Watching the video right now.
                  One of my son's & I grow our own jalapenos. Have a bunch of nice red ones to pick.

Comment

I'm definitely going to have to try this! I've made similar, but never with a Lil' Smokie in them.

The bacon looked longr 9to me) than the usual brands I buy. What brand was it?

Comment

I'm definitely going to have to try this! I've made similar, but never with a Lil' Smokie in them.

The bacon looked longr 9to me) than the usual brands I buy. What brand was it?
                      I replied on YT, but it was some commercial brand I bought in a 10lb box when covid got started. I got it from these guys https://www.facebook.com/themeatguys. Its okay, just sliced super thin. My favorite prepackaged bacon that I use for most things is Stew Leonards brand thick cut. They have sales for $3.50/lb and I buy 10lbs at a time and put it in the freezer, good flavor and it is lower sodium which I actually prefer.
                      Ben

Comment

Newest recipes and video are up, New England Clam Chowder and Rhode Island Clam Cakes. Click on the image for the YouTube video. Please subscribe to your channel if you are interested in my recipes.

Thank you,
                        Ben

Chowder and Clam Cakes Thumbnail.png
                        Ben

Comment

Newest recipes and video are up, New England Clam Chowder and Rhode Island Clam Cakes. Click on the image for the YouTube video. Please subscribe to your channel if you are interested in my recipes.

Thank you,
                          Ben

Chowder and Clam Cakes Thumbnail.png
                          Okay, unless you start paying me rent, get off my mind!!!

In the Bahamas, they make a dipping sauce fit the conch fritters and cracked conch.....i was much younger than and don't remember what they could have used, but what would you make to go with the clam fritters? You have my brain turning now.....crab fritters, lobster fritters, shellfish medley fritters (Crab, lobster, shrimp, clam all combined) .
                          Everything looking good Ben.... I'm available for taste testing as well, just don't put me on camera if you want anyone to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

Okay, unless you start paying me rent, get off my mind!!!

In the Bahamas, they make a dipping sauce fit the conch fritters and cracked conch.....i was much younger than and don't remember what they could have used, but what would you make to go with the clam fritters? You have my brain turning now.....crab fritters, lobster fritters, shellfish medley fritters (Crab, lobster, shrimp, clam all combined) .
                            Everything looking good Ben.... I'm available for taste testing as well, just don't put me on camera if you want anyone to watch.
                            I just dunk the clam cakes into the chowder, that is part of why I like the chowder so thick so it clings to the clam cakes.
                            Ben

Comment

Today's video is my paternal grandmother's recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs. These are a quick recipe that is great to have at a party. Click the image for the video.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs Youtube Thumbnail.png
                              Ben

Comment

Good morning Ben - I've watched a few of the videos, food looks great. Subscribed the other day, cant wait to watch the Chicken Pot Pie......mmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X