Gift of Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift of Bourbon

I would like to buy for a decent bourbon for my business partner.
    Bourbon experts please chime in. Thanks!

Originally posted by Chase View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Chase View Post
      if money is no object

Comment

Blantons

Comment

Have you met Destro? You might have heard of him...
          https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...d-reviews-more
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stymie cosentino View Post
            Although good. It's not a true bourbon

Comment

Elmer T. Lee
              /thread.

Comment

Some of my personal favorites that are less than $70 per bottle:

Breckenridge
                Bookers
                Basil Hayden
                Widow Jane

I"m not a huge fan of angel's envy, bulleit is a bit harsh on the bourbon scale.

some people say the angel's envy port cask aged is good. That's an expensive bottle.

I found a new whisky company out of Illinois or Indiana called Koval. I need to try some of their stuff but they have a whiskey distilled with oatmeal that is killer.

But other than that, call Destro.
                High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                  Have you met Destro? You might have heard of him...
                  https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...d-reviews-more
                  If only there was a bourbon review thread on here with the best bourbons pictured and reviewed, including local availability etc...hmmm....

Can't go wrong with Four Roses Single Batch, Blanton's, and the Jim Beam premium single batches like Baker's and Booker's as well as Woodford Reserve. Keep it Kentucky Straight--single and small batch, I'd avoid the crafty trendy out of state "bourbons", I'm a purist like that. You want something nice to impress your partner that's different but not overpriced look for a bottle of Stagg Jr. ($55-60) or get one of the ltd. edition Barterhouse bottles ($80-90). Around here it's about really finding who has it as most stick to plain jane sellers. You want to go crazy spend a few grand on Pappy Van Winkle (any of the years), but that's become an overpriced status symbol though it is damn good.

And yeah, check out the thread for flavor profile reviews, a bit of bourbon history/tips, and local pricing, availability etc. I also go into explaining traditional bourbons, what makes the flavor recipes (do you like a wheated or ryed?) and some other background the help make that choice.

Currently have over 100 bottles of just Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky in the collection, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
                  bartop.jpg
                  Cheers!

fourroses.jpg
                  Last edited by Destro; 12-17-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post

Although good. It's not a true bourbon
                    how so?

Comment

how so?
                      Angel's Envy is finished in port wine casks, an innovative method but not traditional by Kentucky Straight standards.

It is a "twist" on bourbon (in fact this difference is it's marketing "hook"), but it is done well IMO, as opposed to some of the atrocious flavored whiskeys out there. Kentucky Straight Bourbon has to fit a certain mash bill and process and only whiskey from Kentucky using that method can truly be called bourbon (which is why Jack Daniels for instance is distinctly branded as a Tenessee Whiskey). Technicalities, sure, but it's a "champagne" and "sparkling wine" sort of thing.

Comment

how so?
                        What Destro said.

Like I originally said Angels Envy is still nice tasting.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

Angel's Envy is finished in port wine casks, an innovative method but not traditional by Kentucky Straight standards.

It is a "twist" on bourbon (in fact this difference is it's marketing "hook"), but it is done well IMO, as opposed to some of the atrocious flavored whiskeys out there. Kentucky Straight Bourbon has to fit a certain mash bill and process and only whiskey from Kentucky using that method can truly be called bourbon (which is why Jack Daniels for instance is distinctly branded as a Tenessee Whiskey). Technicalities, sure, but it's a "champagne" and "sparkling wine" sort of thing.
                          yeah - i really think it's splitting hairs thing here. if somebody were to give to as a gift, i'd gladly accept it.

Comment

yeah - i really think it's splitting hairs thing here. if somebody were to give to as a gift, i'd gladly accept it.
                            No it's really not. It's a whiskey that's not made like a bourbon. It's flavored with port wine, not finished in traditional charred American oak barrels, that gives bourbon it's distinct oaky flavor.

The port wine flavor is the whole marketing hook for Angel's Envy. It's whole thing is: "hey we did it differently, it's a port flavored "bourbon"." Now I like AE and I think they did a good job with it--I've bought it and gladly received it as a gift. It does even use a traditional bourbon mash bill -- 72% corn, 18% rye and 10% malted barley. But please understand with the trademark difference of finishing in port barrels it by no means is it an example of a traditional bourbon.

Splitting hairs would be calling a rye, with mash bill with a mere few percent more rye than corn, a bourbon. There are intricacies in spirits just as there are in wine and even guns.
                            Last edited by Destro; 12-17-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

No it's really not. It's a whiskey that's not made like a bourbon. It's flavored with port wine, not finished in traditional charred American oak barrels, that gives bourbon it's distinct oaky flavor.

The port wine flavor is the whole marketing hook for Angel's Envy. It's whole thing is: "hey we did it differently, it's a port flavored "bourbon"." Now I like AE and I think they did a good job with it--I've bought it and gladly received it as a gift-- but by no means is it an example of a traditional bourbon.

Splitting hairs would be calling a rye, with mash bill with a mere few percent more rye than corn, a bourbon. There are intricacies in spirits just as there are in wine and even guns.
                              yes but i believe the OP was just asking for someone to recommend a "decent bourbon", which i did.

Comment

Working...
                              X