No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That article you linked actually isn't correct about some requirements to be bourbon. It doesn't have a minimum age requirement to just be labeled "Bourbon". to be called straight bourbon it has to be two years or more. If it's younger than 4 years like it says in the article, the only requirement is to have it's age statement printed on the bottle. Realistically you can call something bourbon if it spent no more than a day or two in a new charred oak barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
      That article you linked actually isn't correct about some requirements to be bourbon. It doesn't have a minimum age requirement to just be labeled "Bourbon". to be called straight bourbon it has to be two years or more. If it's younger than 4 years like it says in the article, the only requirement is to have it's age statement printed on the bottle. Realistically you can call something bourbon if it spent no more than a day or two in a new charred oak barrel.
      I don’t make the news, only report it (fake news?).
      Maybe there are less technical industry standards that the makers adhere to for premiums? Honestly, I couldn’t tell you if they used tennis balls and soap to make it, not a drinker and not well versed. Seemed like an interesting article.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

I don’t make the news, only report it (fake news?).
        Maybe there are less technical industry standards that the makers adhere to for premiums? Honestly, I couldn’t tell you if they used tennis balls and soap to make it, not a drinker and not well versed. Seemed like an interesting article.
        definitely is. just pointing it out. it seems like every person or outlet has their different definition of what the stuff is but what i said is the official legal standings.

Comment

I had some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked last night at my friends house. Took a liking to it, and will pick up a bottle when I get a chance.

Comment

I shoot, I score - Blantons at swiftway wine & liquor. $79

Attached Files

Comment

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch over the weekend for my cigar locker. The stuff is crazy smooth and delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachP View Post
                Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch over the weekend for my cigar locker. The stuff is crazy smooth and delicious.
                its on my list to try along with Buffalo Trace. Still trying to find my favorite. But so far Four Roses Single Barrel is on top.

Comment

Four roses single barrel is my favorite bourbon so far. followed closely by the standard Buffalo Trace. If i am in the mood for a kick in the teeth i reach for the bookers though.

Comment

I find that bookers goes down much smoother than you'd expect a 129 proof whiskey to go down...love it! Gotta pick up 02 & 04 batches from 2018. Each one has a different nose and taste.

Comment

Wife and her friend killed most of this. Having at it now. It's ok. Easy drinking.

Im really trying to get a nose for the different aromas. Smelling some maple and brown sugar on this. At least what I can gather.

Not much of a finish. Probably a good mixing whiskey.

Overall.... bland but good for a cheap pinch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post
                        Wife and her friend killed most of this. Having at it now. It's ok. Easy drinking.

Im really trying to get a nose for the different aromas. Smelling some maple and brown sugar on this. At least what I can gather.

Not much of a finish. Probably a good mixing whiskey.

Overall.... bland but good for a cheap pinch.
                        Think vanilla. I always found it to be a vanilla bomb

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post

Think vanilla. I always found it to be a vanilla bomb
                          I smell the vanilla but I get more of a maple nose.

Comment

Scored. Lucky walk in at tag liquors in holbrook next to Joe's pizza. Got a decent selection.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Russell's wasn't as sweet as I was lead to believe but it does have a decent spice and flavor. Finish is quick and smooth.

Tag liquors in holbrook in the meat farms and Joe's pizza shopping center has a decent selection of high and low end bourbons and the only place I found to stock Russell's. Russell's was $41 and change out the door.

Compared to bulleit its way better. Has a better all around body of spice and maple/vanilla flavor.

edit: looks like I got the regular Russell's and not the single barrel. Probably why it was a bit of a let down compared to destro's review. Jury is still out on this one.

So far four roses single barrel is heads above the others I've tasted. What I like in the following order:

four roses single barrel
                              knob creek special reserve single barrel
                              Russell's reserve - regular
                              woodford reserve
                              bulleit

gonna try elija Craig next. I have blantons but probably not going to crack it till my birthday in December.
                              Last edited by mossy930spx; 03-17-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

My list of likes is similar to mossy's; I did not like the elija Craig at all. Might I suggest getting a bottle of Blackened to try first (I love it!); it's a little different being a blend, but delicious.
                                I too have an unopened bottle of Blanton's, but waiting for the right time to crack it open (whatever that actually means)

Comment

Working...
                                X