No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you should all repent, give up the evil liquid as the devil's water ...join your local temperance society ..alcohol is a distructive force in society ,join a evangelical group, help save the corrupt and ungodly
    or did you know , In 1932, Franklin D. Roosevelt defeated the incumbent President Herbert Hoover, who once called Prohibition "the great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far reaching in purpose." Some say FDR celebrated the repeal of Prohibition by enjoying a dirty martini, his preferred drink.
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post
      image_61036.jpg

Got this for Father's Day. I know it's not bourbon, but it is an excellent rye!
      The guy who owns the distillery has been on Fox news against the riots talking about how he immigrated and grew his business out in rural land and more businesses could move out of the cities and flourish. Also try Sazerac Rye, great stuff, though as you know I am a traditionalist and only into Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

Volkosupply

Whisky has often been called the "devil's drink" through history because it makes for mean drunks and mean hangovers. There is actually scientific proof for the hangover part.

The congeners are the impurities that cause bad headaches and hangovers. Straight, uncut bourbon--the type I like--is chock full of them. Why? Because that's what makes the best tastes; the esthers, the tanins, the proteins, etc. but also aldehydes and acetone etc. Distillers don't cold filter these out, as they want the flavor profile but all that stuff is actually somewhat toxic. Also the better bourbons are higher proofs (100-150) and often consumed neat, so a double whammy.

I actually have tried drinking bourbon more like the adult I should be and no longer turn to it as a "drinking" choice, because the true uncut good stuff full of congeners kicks even my ass.
      Last edited by Destro; 06-24-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
        you should all repent, give up the evil liquid as the devil's water ...join your local temperance society ..alcohol is a distructive force in society ,join a evangelical group, help save the corrupt and ungodly
        or did you know , In 1932, Franklin D. Roosevelt defeated the incumbent President Herbert Hoover, who once called Prohibition "the great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far reaching in purpose." Some say FDR celebrated the repeal of Prohibition by enjoying a dirty martini, his preferred drink.
        I’ll drink to that!
        Steve

Comment

What do you guys think of Barrel Bomb. Got some for father's day and its really nice on the rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by LIBIGLOU View Post
            What do you guys think of Barrel Bomb. Got some for father's day and its really nice on the rocks.
            No too familiar with it. It is a California Whiskey (I specialize in Kentucky Straight Bourbon). From what I read it's like an Angel's Envy where they take the whiskey then age it in flavored casks of other stuff.

Fermented in stainless steel then aged for 12 months in combination of French & American Oak barrels. The wine was then aged for an additional 90 days in once used Kentucky Bourbon casks.
            So that's a bit gimmicky for the traditionalist, but Angel's Envy (which ages it's bourbon in port barrels IIRC) did it well, so who's to say? I'd have to try it.

PRICES RISING!

Now another interesting not is that since "the pandemic' prices have shot up on a lot of mainstay favorite premium bourbons! Kentucky was on lock down, the stuff ain't aging any faster, new production was halted and demand went high.

I was buying Blanton's for 50-some bucks and now it's impossible to find and shot up to 80-100 bucks in most stores and online.

I have some new limited ed. and cask strength Kentucky straights to review including a limited Four Roses coming up.

To review as in the beginning of this thread my current drinking favorites include;

- Blanton's
            - Four Roses Single Barrel
            - Booker's Cask Strength
            - Stagg Jr. Cask Strength
            - Baker's
            - Elijah Craig 12 yr

Comment

Just curious, since I’m a cretinous vodka drinker, but what’s the consensus on Mat Best’s Leadslingers? Pretty sure it’s made in OK.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                Just curious, since I’m a cretinous vodka drinker, but what’s the consensus on Mat Best’s Leadslingers? Pretty sure it’s made in OK.
                It's an 80 proof whiskey made in Oklahoma and a bit gimicky in that's it's the "Black rifle coffee" marketing version of a whisky. They have a brand and made whiskey, rye, etc. with a snazzy label to a certain demographic (us). It does use a more traditional recipe but is a blended and watered down to 80 proof whiskey. Tons of new "bourbons" have come up since premium whiskey took over the market a a decade or so ago. It was the largest growing market in spirits. Every hipster from Brooklyn started a distillery. However the boom also led to some great "craft" type bourbons from long time distillers in the south and really preimum single barrel and small batch offerings, which is where its at.

Comment

Destro

Thanks for the education. I just started enjoying the bourbons. Mostly Jim Beam black and Believe it or not I like the apple flavored one too. During the height of the pandemic it was my sunday night ritual . It calmed me down and went well with reading a book. How do you like yours? I just put a few cubes of ice. Anything I can do to heighten the experience?
                  Thanks and welcome back. I remember you from the old days. I recently came back as well.

Comment

No Offense to those who love Blantons. I just thought this was funny. Personally I think Blantons is okay but a bit overpriced.
                    Attached Files
                    Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post
                      Coronavirus detox
                      I am a fan of the Elijah Craig Small Batch. Another reasonably priced pour is the Four Roses Small Batch. Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are decent. When I'm feeling spendy the Widow Jane lands in the cart at times.
                      panem et circenses

Comment

Originally posted by LIBIGLOU View Post
                        Destro

Thanks for the education. I just started enjoying the bourbons. Mostly Jim Beam black and Believe it or not I like the apple flavored one too. During the height of the pandemic it was my sunday night ritual . It calmed me down and went well with reading a book. How do you like yours? I just put a few cubes of ice. Anything I can do to heighten the experience?
                        Thanks and welcome back. I remember you from the old days. I recently came back as well.
                        I’m a traditionalist and like my bourbon neat at room temp. I also focus mainly on Kentucky Straight Bourbon. If you started on a mass market blended bourbon like a Jim Beam or Makers Mark I implore you to try some of the finer small batch or single barrel offerings out there. .With the popularity of bourbon came big bucks and that allowed many big distilleries to make fine bourbon lines — think “craft bourbon”. Jim Beam For instance has a fine premium line- up of Knob Creek, Basil Hayden’s, Bookers, Bakers.

The small batch bourbons only come from a few selected barrels unlike a mass marketed bourbon that comes from hundreds of mixed barrels and then is watered down to proof.

My favorite are cask strength bourbons, where you are getting the fullest flavors (they are not watered diwnnand often 120-130 proof, though surprisingly smooth at that proof)

With the higher proof small batch stuff you can splash it to help the experience... this means a splash of water and let it sit in the glass as the flavors and aromas open up.

My other advice would be to test out and read up and figure it the flavor profile you like. Like with wine, there are many notes in bourbon; fruit, spice, tobacco, candy and of course oak as bourbon is finished in oak char barrels. Sometimes too oaky is a bad thing, you want to find that balance that you like. I favor more candied bourbons; Blantons and Four Roses Single Barrel— two of my go-tos — have strong maple syrup and caramel notes in such a great way.

btw, all the premium bourbons I drink and love fall into a reasonable sub $60 range ( though as I mentioned Blantons shot up to like 80-90 bucks during the pandemic)

I will have some more reviews of some new stuff coming up as well.

Last edited by Destro; 07-13-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I picked these 3 up yesterday, the Baker's being a new flavor for me. I really enjoy the Buffalo Trace when I want a really smooth easy drinker. The Knob Creek single barrel is extremely smooth and very flavorful; I've enjoyed a few bottles of this in the past year, and each one was delicious.

I found the Baker's to be just OK for me. It has a lot more spice than the other two and you know it's a high ABV%. Not one of my favorites, but worth a try.
                          Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Sorry if I’m crossing the streams here but I need a recommendation for a good Scotch for a gift. Up to around $200-$250 is ok. I don’t know from these things so I’m throwing it out to the old reliables of LIGC for help.

Comment

Glenlivet 18 year! Runs about $125

If the 21 year fits within your budget (not sure how much it hours for), definitely. I suspect it may be north of $250 though
                              Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

I have heard booze prices have skyrocketed like ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X