No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried Bullet Bourbon? I picked some up in NH and am now sad that I drank it all.

Comment

Just finished a bottle of Elijah Craig.. it was good. But the Buffalo Trace that followed seemed a little smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        Sorry if I’m crossing the streams here but I need a recommendation for a good Scotch for a gift. Up to around $200-$250 is ok. I don’t know from these things so I’m throwing it out to the old reliables of LIGC for help.
        McCalla n 15 year is my go-to

Comment

Ok no more scotch talk in a bourbon thread lol
          its like talking about AKs in an AR thread!!!

anyway I’ll start posting some more of my Kentucky straight bourbon reviews, picked up some new small batch and limited new stuff this year.... knob creek now has 12 and 15 yr editions, wild turkey rare breed is a barrel proof, other new small batch stuff that came out in my absence plus online bourbon delivery is now a thing (both wine case shipping style and 1 hour delivery style, since drizzly)

Comment

4 Roses Small Batch, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and my favorite so far, 1792 Single Barrel. I see online 1792 Port Finish, need to find and try.

Comment

Redwood Empire by Pipe Dream. It is a phenomenal bourbon, and you can't beat the price.

Comment

Originally posted by H&K Happy View Post
                4 Roses Small Batch, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and my favorite so far, 1792 Single Barrel. I see online 1792 Port Finish, need to find and try.
                You have great taste. 4 Roses Small batch is one of may all time favorites, I reviewed it here years ago and gave it the monicker "my breakfast bourbon, due to it's maple notes). Ruseell's Reserve Single Barrel is one of my other all time favorites--a great classic corn mash recipe. Traditional Kentucky Straight done so well.

Incidentally many labels released "select" editions of those bourbons, including Four Roses. Basically it is a more hand-picked premium version, from particular barrels or areas of the rickhouse. Some are aged more. Knob Creek recenlty also did this, and I will try to review this new batch of "select" offerings soon.

Four Roses Small Batch Select
                Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel -made by Eddie Russell who is responsible for Russell's Reserve
                Woodford Reserve Propriety Batch
                Knob Creek Privately Selected

select_bourbons.jpg

Jdsmith96 I've heard good things about Redwood Empire, but being a traditionalist snob I stick to Kentucky Straight bourbon. Redwood is from Cali, and if they have to call their "champagne" in Sonoma "sparkling wine", then they should have to call their whiskey recipe California whiskey. Hell, even Jack Daniels can't use the bourbon name (TN whiskey) but I get it. I just raise an eyebrow to some of the "bourbons" being made by hipsters everywhere when the brown spirit craze kicked in the early 2000s. Ultimately, drink what's good.
                Last edited by Destro; 10-08-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

recently picked up a bottle of redemption wheated bourbon. Really like it. It has a lot of flavor without being too sweet. Also tried some Evan Williams black label.... Not a fan. Not much flavor, something to drink if you just want to get drunk on the cheap.

Comment

Destro Now that you mentioned JD not being able to call themselves bourbon it brought up some old memories and I had to do some digging.

The Redwood Empire is mixed from a True Bourbon and their house blend California Rye Whiskey. I guess they're not lying because they don't call it a Kentucky Straight. They don't call which Bourbon they use, but that I would love to find out.

New Riff Kentucky Straight bourbon whiskey (which is a newer Distillery) is another solid Hitter in that $30-$40 price point.

I'm thinking of Starting an Infinity bottle of Bourbons and Rye once I crack open a Midnight Winters Dram this Christmas....

Comment

Originally posted by tidriver View Post
                      recently picked up a bottle of redemption wheated bourbon. Really like it. It has a lot of flavor without being too sweet. Also tried some Evan Williams black label.... Not a fan. Not much flavor, something to drink if you just want to get drunk on the cheap.
                      This brings up another issue. Drinking bourbon can hurt you. I'm a drinker, and I also like to savor fine bourbon, but I tend to go for the full flavor of cask strength all which run over 100 proof. I drink it neat with a sip of water as a chaser. If you do the math that can get you in trouble on a night you're snowed it and yet get things going. LOL

Mixed drinks on the other hand are made with usually 80 proof, you have water to hydrate you, and sugar to help your liver process the stuff. Putting back a few cask strength bourbons neat, is like having 10 gin and tonics, but of course once you get going it tastes so smooth and you get yourself into a hole. It is a shame if/when I do get a hard buzz on and start throwing back the fine stuff though, but it is what it is.

On top of that, the reason brown spirits are brown is all the stuff that gives it flavor; the esters, tanins, aldehydes, proteins etc. (which is why fine bourbon is never filtered). Those happen to be all congeners...the toxins that give you a real bad hangover headache. So cask strength bourbon is high in alcohol and congeners...the two things that kick your ass hangover-wise. So in a nutshell; the better the bourbon tastes, the more it can hurt you. It's the curse of drinking fine bourbon whiskey.

Comment

20201008_170906.jpg 20201008_171303.jpg

CHEERS. 4 Roses and Raven
                        Last edited by ChiefSailer; 10-08-2020, 04:14 PM.
                        Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

bourbon celery.jpg
                          Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Haven’t seen this one in a while, but it’s back.
                            Nice flavor. Pretty balanced.

still mostly scotch but this is the current bottle
                            Last edited by E; 10-14-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X