Clear All

Originally posted by ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO View Post
    i agree with some above posters:
    1) Four Roses small batch
    2) Buffalo Trace
    3) Eagle Rare
    4) Mid Winter night dram
    5) Belle Meade cask strength IF you can find it locally
    One thing of note is that buffalo trace is a blended and watered down bourbon, great stuff and great distillery (pappy van etc) It’s like a less expensive makers market which got me into drinking bourbon years ago. makers actually got some flack years ago when the bourbon craze was in full swing and they announced they wanted to water it down to 80 from 90 proof.

anyway it is great -/especially at the old 20 something price point but it’s hard to compare to s small batch or single barrel. Your first on the list, four roses small batch is grest though I favor their single barrel, one of my all time faves, all reviewed in the earlier pages of this thread.

belle Meade is an Indiana “bourbon” sure it might be very good but I’ve expressed my position on Kentucky straights as a purist, the bourbon craze has popped up a ton of hipster whiskies. But excuse my elitism in the subject, it’s just a personal nit pick.

Now the great thing about the bourbon craze is the commercial viability of making the more “craft” bourbons, even the small batch offerings from big distillers like Jim beam (knob creek, boomers, basil hayden etc) now hss as be even more premium versions out... knob creek private select, four roses came out with a small batch select ( pictured above ) which I will review soon and I do like as well.

Then it comes form to you flavor preference. Kentucky straight is obviously very corn based but the you get into the wheated and ryed bourbons and what floats your boat.

so it’s a wonderfully complex journey with all of today’s glorious offerings of brown spirits!

Comment

Originally posted by H&K Happy View Post
      Just picked up Angel’s Envy. Very nice.
      As a purist I really like it so that says a lot as it is bourbon finished in port barrels but they really did it very well and it’s not just a gimmick.

Comment

Angels is top shelf I agree.

There is a micro distillery in Brooklyn
        Kings County Distillery. They have a tasting room one block north of flushing Ave on Navy. They distill in the navy yard. They have a great straight bourbon as well as small batch offerings at different times of the year. It’s been my go to since January.
        Last edited by Rrudo74901; 11-02-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

FILE - This Sept. 5, 2014 file photo shows Sidebar at Whiskey Row, a bar that offers more than 100 bourbons, in the heart of downtown Louisville, Ky. Restaurants along the city’s Urban Bourbon Trail are routinely stocked with 50 to 150 varieties of Kentucky’s signature spirit. (AP Photo/Bruce Schreiner, File)(Bruce Schreiner | AP)

Published: Oct. 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM EDTFRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) —

It’s a milestone that bourbon drinkers can toast to. Kentucky bourbon makers stockpiled a modern-era record amount of products aging in warehouses. The Kentucky Distillers' Association says a report shows more than 9.2 million barrels of bourbon are being stored in Kentucky.

The number of barrels with aging bourbon topped nine million for the first time since 1967, the same year KDA started keeping barrel inventory records.

The latest numbers are based on warehouse inventories reported as of Jan. 1, 2020. The report says Kentucky had 9.8 million barrels of bourbon and other distilled spirits aging in warehouses, setting another state record.
          The Kentucky Distillers' Association says a report shows more than 9.2 million barrels of bourbon are being stored in Kentucky.
          A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.

- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

FYI, Mara's Homemade restaurant(Cajun style food) in Syosset has a pretty deep whiskey list with flight tasting available.

Comment

BF44E20F-768E-4D54-B75B-842A5640FC6D.jpeg
              Happy Friday 🥃
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mrprovy
                Mrprovy commented
                Editing a comment
                Candy

Screenshot_20201127-175215.jpg Today's haul...

Comment

As many who have followed my thread for years know, I love barrel or cask strenght bourbons. That where the highest flavor profile is (sure, the highest alcohol too).

Here are a few ....

The Elijahj Craig Small Bath Barrel Proof is amazing. It blows my mind (in more ways than one) that it is over 130 proof cause it it so smooth with such a candied nose.

barrel_proof_1.jpg
                Will review the new Knob Creek select soon.

bourbon2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
                  As many who have followed my thread for years know, I love barrel or cask strenght bourbons. That where the highest flavor profile is (sure, the highest alcohol too).

Here are a few ....

The Elijahj Craig Small Bath Barrel Proof is amazing. It blows my mind (in more ways than one) that it is over 130 proof cause it it so smooth with such a candied nose.

barrel_proof_1.jpg

bourbon2.jpg
                  I have yet to try the Elijah Craig barrel proof. I have had the KC select, and you can taste the proof. Not to say it isn't good (it is), just not as smooth as some of the other barrel proofs I've had.
                  Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

I won a bottle of Old Grandad at a charity auction. I looked at it today. The tax stamp was from 1987!
                    This stuff is 41 years old, 100 proof and kicks like a mule!!

Comment

Tonight's menu. Yes, I bought a scotch today, but it's finished in bourbon casks. I did finally buy the Elijah Craig barrel proof, and you definitely know you're drinking barrel proof. It was good, and you taste the heat. Once par that, it has a very nice finish. Definitely worth the purchase.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

Here are a few ....

barrel_proof_1.jpg

bourbon2.jpg
                        I tend to favor barrel or cask strengths. Because you get the full, unadulterated flavor of the essence of corn mash bourbon. Usually, of course, you get 1. a ton of alcohol. 2. a ton of oak. So if not pulled off right, a cask strength can be disappointing.

The Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel proof IMO was one of the most balanced I've had. It was very candied, lots of toffee, caramel, maple, and had no overbearing oak. The heat was very palpable, so much so this one got me in trouble, it felt as drinking a 90 proof, and of course when you have a great balanced flavor profile it mask a lot of the high alcohol content. Look, to be fair, if you're drinking small batch Kentucky Straights, it's all 100 proof and over territory so heat comes with the territory, and if the flavor is there it often counters it, but yeah high proof bourbon has a finish that will bring heat. I've yet to try the Knob Creek 120 btw, and was surprised that their new, pricier, "privately selected" offering (pictured) is in the 90s (cause that means it was decently watered down, which is unusual on a small batch premium). The Four Roses Small Batch Select (another premium that came out in the last two years or so) is pretty good, though really comparable to the regular label single barrel/small batch with some tweaks in the flavor (not sure if it's a similar mash bill but will look into that). And btw there's a huge difference in the flavor notes being built up by the process of making/aging the whisky compared to "flavored" commercial whiskies, which most whisky aficionados cringe at. Just like foodies would cringe at a "smoke flavoring" compared to real smoked meat, or flavored fine wine--its just a fake, cheesy concept that goes against the "craft" of creating food and drink.

Anyway, the Elijah Craig Barrel Strength ---Highly recommend,

It comes in at 133.4 proof and each bottle is labeled with it's batch number. One of my new instant favorites, as I tend to favor "candied" flavor profiles (which is why I love Four Roses Single Barrel, or as I called it in the review pages ago "my breakfast bourbon" due to it's maple notes.)

This one got me in trouble. Like I said, the flavors were so tasty and balanced and it went down like an 80 proof. Also has an excellent nose, lots of very smooth candied notes, and some spice, tobacco. Based on one experience really puts this in one of my favorite new bourbons category, will have to revisit.
                        Last edited by Destro; 11-28-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X