No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weeks trip to The Wine Guy yielded some really good flavors. I grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace because, why not? I didn't realize till I got home that it is a Single Barrel Select by TWG, probably the smoothest bottle of BT that I've had so far; if you're in Smithtown, I highly recommend picking it up.
    While checking out, I decided to grab a small (but not cheap) bottle of Jim Beam Signature Craft. Another delicious bourbon, now I have to find a bigger bottle.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Life Member:
    American Suppressor Association
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    National Rifle Association

Comment

• Exonautic
      Exonautic commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think I've ever seen bt at twg before.

• mossy930spx
      mossy930spx commented
      Editing a comment
      What notes you getting from the store pick from BT? I grabbed a couple of bottles but I'm on the Daniel fast which ends tomorrow. I plan on popping it open Saturday night. Cheers!

• mossy930spx
      mossy930spx commented
      Editing a comment
      Bit of a rye bite with this single barrel pick. Vanilla and maple brown sugar nose. Vanilla palate with a hint of maple with a rye bite up front. Quick finish. Very good though!

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
    This weeks trip to The Wine Guy yielded some really good flavors. I grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace because, why not? I didn't realize till I got home that it is a Single Barrel Select by TWG, probably the smoothest bottle of BT that I've had so far; if you're in Smithtown, I highly recommend picking it up.
    While checking out, I decided to grab a small (but not cheap) bottle of Jim Beam Signature Craft. Another delicious bourbon, now I have to find a bigger bottle.
    How could you tell the BT was a store pick?
    thanks

Comment

• Mrprovy
      Mrprovy commented
      Editing a comment
      There was a custom hang tag on the neck of the bottle from BT indicating the bottle/barrel was hand selected by TWG

Thanks.!
    Hope you are well!

Comment

For anyone who ventures out to Nassau you need to check out the selection at Total Wine in Westbury - it's in the shopping center between WalMart and Costco. They took over the old Sports Authority space.

Here's a link to their small batch bourbon selection.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bo...urbon/c/000866
      panem et circenses

Comment

• Destro
        Destro commented
        Editing a comment
        They carry Four Roses and Russel's Reserve...two on the Destro favorite list. If their in-store inventory reflects their online list it's a very nice selection, thanks!

• Win1300
        Win1300 commented
        Editing a comment
        Four Roses Small Batch is one of my favorites. I actually prefer it over their Single Barrel.

The website should indicate if it is available for pick up in store and if I did the link right that will be for the Westbury NY store. Fun fact. They have an adjoining space with it's own entrance for beer. They also have a fantastic selection of beer.

• bigbore44
        bigbore44 commented
        Editing a comment
        Total Wine & Spirits in Westbury is like a candy store for drinkers, and is surely a sight to behold. There is also a dedicated section for artisanal products of NY State. They also have training classes to help you develop into a proper wine snob(lol).

C64D455D-FCF5-4592-9900-CC0339A8959B.jpeg After a hard day of work a stiff bourbon is in order!
      Thanks to a follow deplorable compadre BT single barrel is going down nicely. Tks bro
      A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Destro do you know if TWG usually carries that JB signature craft in stock?
        A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO View Post
          Destro do you know if TWG usually carries that JB signature craft in stock?
          I do not offhand. I do know they carry all the Jim Beam distillery premium small-batch line (Bakers, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, Bookers etc.) so they very well may.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Grabbed 2 bottles and I'm pretty happy.
            I'm a bit disappointed in the 1792 small batch that I opened last night. Seemed to lack flavor. I'll let it sit for a bit and try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

I'm a bit disappointed in the 1792 small batch that I opened last night. Seemed to lack flavor. I'll let it sit for a bit and try it again.
              👍

I felt the same about the 1792 😒
              Life Member:
              American Suppressor Association
              Gun Owners of America
              Second Amendment Foundation
              National Rifle Association

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

1792 small batch mash bill is mostly rye (believed to be 25% rye) If you like a more traditional corn bourbon --which is my thing--(bourbon has to be 51 percent corn to be called "bourbon") or a more wheated bourbon (like a maker's mark, larceny) then maybe that's part of the issue. I've tried 1792 but nothing outstanding, not in my toolbox.

1792 does make a wheated bourbon called "1792 Sweet Wheat" btw. This whole thing is trial and error and personal preference, but there are some universal flavors/notes based on the mash bills that can help steer you.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

1792 small batch mash bill is mostly rye (believed to be 25% rye) If you like a more traditional corn bourbon --which is my thing--(bourbon has to be 51 percent corn to be called "bourbon") or a more wheated bourbon (like a maker's mark, larceny) then maybe that's part of the issue. I've tried 1792 but nothing outstanding, not in my toolbox.

1792 does make a wheated bourbon called "1792 Sweet Wheat" btw. This whole thing is trial and error and personal preference, but there are some universal flavors/notes based on the mash bills that can help steer you.
                  My sister has a bottle of that sweet wheat waiting for me when I see her.

Thanks

Comment

👍

I felt the same about the 1792 😒
                    Hahaha.. and I love Woodford reserve!

Comment

• Destro
                      Destro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Woodford Reserve mash bill% : 72 corn 18 rye 10 wheat with a #4 char on the barrel. It is a more traditional bourbon and a great one at that.

Destro you should try getting a bottle of Bourbon from ST Augustine Bourbon.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoodbar View Post
                      Destro you should try getting a bottle of Bourbon from ST Augustine Bourbon.
                      I''ve mentioned this before but I am a purist and only collect Kentucky Straight bourbon in my bar. When the brown spirit revolution happened in the 2000s a ton of hipster distilleries sprouted up, including in Red Hook, Brooklyn, that made "bourbon". Technically, Bourbon is from KY (which is why Jack Daniels labels itself as a "Tennessee Whiskey"). I'd be open to trying something with a very traditional mash bill--something that's barrel strength but there are too many bourbons out there to venture out of Kentucky Straight--which also has tradition and history (and they say the ph of the local water contributes as well)

As for St.Augustine I see that...."Our Florida Straight bourbon is made from a mash bill of 60% Florida corn, 22% barley, and 18% Florida wheat, and aged a minimum of three years." Three years is a little on the young side for me. I like that it's barrel proof, I don't like that it's mixed and not small batch or single barrel.

Comment

So the wife was feeling generous when she went out for wine today and brought me back these two. Never tried them before so I'm Looking forward to giving them a taste this weekend.

IMG_5911.jpg
                        Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

• Destro
                          Destro commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The double oaked is a solid offering by woodford. Good stuff. Let us know how the other one goes.
                      Working...
                      X