No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just grabbed a bottle of that Woodinville last night.
    it was pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
      Just grabbed a bottle of that Woodinville last night.
      it was pretty nice.
      The same one? They made a few different ones from what I have heard.
      Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post

The same one? They made a few different ones from what I have heard.
        Exactly. I believe the other one is a rye
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

Exactly. I believe the other one is a rye
          20210124_162243.jpg

Its good and at 90 proof packs a nice punch. But its not as tasty as I had hoped for. Definitely a fan of the Woodford double Oaked.

20210123_153437.jpg
          Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

• mossy930spx
            mossy930spx commented
            Editing a comment
            woodinville is eeeeeh. Its a young whiskey and it has a heavy oak flavor to me. nice oil content but that's about it. I'll probably use it as a mixer to get the bottle killed

My buddy picked me up a new (to me) variation for next weekend; Makers Mark 101, looking forward to trying it... Anyone else try it yet?
          Life Member:
          American Suppressor Association
          Gun Owners of America
          Second Amendment Foundation
          National Rifle Association

Comment

Haven’t had the 101 but Makers Mark is my go to.... would like to know Destro’s take on standard Makers Mark... if he’s listening

Comment

• Destro
              Destro commented
              Editing a comment
              Good old regular Makers Mark is what introduced me — and many others—to bourbon. It was considered a fine whiskey to order even before the whole whisky trend hit in the 2000s and revolutionized the market. It is a blended, mass market 90 proof wheaten bourbon, but done very well. A less expensive alternative that mimics it well is regular Buffalo Trace. A few years ago, due to high bourbon demand, Makers announced they would be watering it down to 80 proof but kept it at 90 due to the backlash. I also have one of their cask strength bottles in my bar I’ve yet to try as small batch snd barrel strength is my interest, but Makers is an iconic brand in bourbon that is one of the most consistent, fine blended mass bourbons out there.

It's Friday night and I opened up a new bottle... Maker's Mark limited release 101 proof. Definitely not what I expected; very bland for a higher ABV, not much flavor, and it threw me off with the screw top😵

Not a recommended buy, I like the regular Maker's Mark much better. I did buy another bottle of Buffalo Trace, so this weeks purchase wasn't a total disappointment.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Life Member:
            Gun Owners of America

Comment

• ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO
              ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes bro you have to open it and let it breathe for awhile before consumption

Don't know if I posted this but I got a bottle of 1776 by James Pepper as a present. It's become my go-to bourbon especially for my new craze, Old Fashions.

Comment

Last night and tonight I've been drinking another makers selection...their cask strength. Honestly, not impressed with makers selections; I like the single barrel buffalo trace much better. Some may like this, but just not enough flavor for me. I'm gonna stick with the Jim beam and buffalo trace distilleries from now on; I've tried so many and those seem to be the ones I gravitate towards and enjoy the most!

... I'm pretty sure Maker's is a Beam distillery, but just not the same (for me)
              Last edited by Mrprovy; 02-06-2021, 10:12 PM.
              Life Member:
              Gun Owners of America

Comment

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                Makers is owned by Beam Suntory, the Japanese company that owns Jim beam, and a bunch of other liquor companies including Scotch, Vodka and Tequila. It is however distilled in its own place and operated separately from the Beam small batch brands which are excellent. I agree makers doesn’t compare.

Big fan of Col EH Taylor, was paying $50, same store now asking $70, Blantons money lol. Anyone seeing it for fair prices?

Comment

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                EH Taylor is selling now for 120 (I have an unopened bottle from a few years ago I must have paid 50 for). Blantons now about a 100. I bought the IW Harper I posted below 2 years before the pandemic for 90, now it selling for 199.99.and higher. It's essentially a somewhat limited edition product with greatly amped up demand lately. Some of my favorite small batch bourbons are still around or under 50 thankfully.

https://www.thewineguyli.com/product...-batch-bourbon

• Scottso
                Scottso commented
                Editing a comment
                Fuck me, guess I’d better grab another few Col.s lol

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                Stagg Jr. is now selling for 299.99 I have an unopened bottle in the bar pic below I bought maybe 3-4 years ago for $55 in Wine Guy Smithtown. I reviewed it in this thread many pages ago. Btw stuff like that was always very hard to find.

Bourbon update....

Rising prices and new looks....

Since I started this thread before this forum came to be (then migrated it) bourbon prices have soared. The pandemic has created a perfect supply and demand boost. KY was shut down by it's democratic gov (new barrels ain't gonna age themselves fasters) and lockdowns and anxiety have cause more people than ever to drink at home, thus increasing in store prices on many items.

Since I started the thread many favorites have gotten new looks in packaging, and some new formulations.

IW Harper 15 Year. ---currently $199.99 at Wine Guy, Smithtown (seen it as high as $267 online)

iwharper.jpg

Just an amazing smooth bourbon, which you would expect from a 15 year old. I was surprised, since I overlooked it at first taste, but went back to it one night and was blown away. Similar traditional corn recipe, as some of my favorties (Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel, Russel's Reserve). All the classic notes (toffee, maple, candy, tobacco, etc.) in a super balanced delivery. One note it it is watered down, only 86 proof!---I am so used to drinking "barrel proof" or "cask strength:" where all the flavor is packed in but also in the 130-150 proof range. Anyway an excellent bourbon.

This would make a great premium gift btw.
              • ORIGIN: I.W. Harper 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey was distilled at the current Bernheim Distillery in Louisville, Ky. and aged most recently at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville.
              • PRODUCTION: The mash bill for I.W. Harper 15-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is approximately 86% corn, 6% rye and 8% barley.

Bourbon bar is currently up to 100 KY bourbons. Lots of great stuff was made in the last 10 years due to the brown spirit craze and even more premium product is being put out, though post pandemic pricing is no joke.

bourbonbar1.jpg

Comment

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                Btw the IW Harper bottle I’m still drinking off was bought from the wine guy for 90 bucks like three years ago. The price increases are amazing.

As per the topic above of prices increasing and some distillers seemingly changing their product....another one of my favorites which underwent a recent change...

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Bourbon 750ml . $74.98 @ Wine Guy, Smithtown

ecraigBP_1.jpg

One of my newer favorites, this barrel proof has everything I look for in a barrel proof-- intense flavor, I prefer the traditional corn bourbon profile that has a nice mix of sweet; maple, toffee, caramel, and spice and tobacco notes--while not coming in too oaky or "alcohol-y", which is always a risk at an above 60%ABV barrel strength.

Now, one thing that happened recently is they changed the labeling of this product, and slightly, the formulation.

The new label shows a slightly lower ABV bringing it from 135 proof down to 125. The bottle also omits "small batch" though there is a rickhouse barrel labeling which should suggest it is sourced from a "small batch". The concern is that they adjusted due to the pandemic demand and watered the past recipe down a bit and may not be sticking to strictly small batch.
              The side labels also indicate both versions are aged 12 years.

ecraigBP_2.jpg

ecraigBP_3.jpg

It tastes damn near the same, so I wouldn't be able to know, and a watering down at that level wouldn't affect it, but it's more the principal. A few years ago Marker's Mark announced it would be watering down its bourbon from 90 to 80 proof to keep up with the demand and stopped when it received major backlash. So there is precedence to this notion.

The Elijah Craig 94 proof small batch is also great, and an excellent almost shocking value in today's pricing ($24.69 at Wine Guy). That's crazy for a real decent small batch. There's no age stated so it's probably considerably less mature than the other ECs but it's a fine tasting small batch at less than the price of some mainstream mixed bourbons. (Wouldn't be surprised if this price gets hiked up in the future).

https://www.thewineguyli.com/search/...lijah%20craig?

Comment

• Mrprovy
                Mrprovy commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, well worth keeping on hand

• ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO
                ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO commented
                Editing a comment
                The Elijah Craig small batch is so highly overlooked and is an amazing value for that flavor and mash bill.

I 'think' that there is only so much control over the final proof/alcohol content when the aging process is finished, and that's why the variance in proof. They verify the alcohol content prior to bottling and label appropriately. If you find different lots of the same bourbon, it may/will have different proofs.
              NRA Patron Life Member
              Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
              NRA RSO

Comment

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point, especially on the barrel proof level. I even remember certain parts of the rickhouse being hotter so they rotate barrels in Aging. However...with small batch the do mix barrels though so they have some control on the proof of the product. EVERY single bottle of small batch Elijah Craig for the last few years was at that very same proof. Not a coincidence.

Blended bourbons (90-80 proof) are all carefully watered down. Makers now makes a barrel proof too which is interesting.
                Last edited by Destro; 05-14-2021, 05:13 PM.

I think I posted the original Blackened a coupe years ago and love it! While, today while visiting The Wine Guy, I observed a new bottle of Blackened next to the original... Cask Strength

This bourbon is absolutely delicious! It is super smooth for a 115 proof whiskey; highly recommended (sorry my pallet isn't more descriptive).
              Life Member:
              Gun Owners of America

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                I think I posted the original Blackened a coupe years ago and love it! While, today while visiting The Wine Guy, I observed a new bottle of Blackened next to the original... Cask Strength

This bourbon is absolutely delicious! It is super smooth for a 115 proof whiskey; highly recommended (sorry my pallet isn't more descriptive).
                I haven’t tried the cask strength in Metallica’s bourbon. I guess maybe when i head over to pick up that charger from you 😆
                A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restraints evil interference, they deserve a place of honor with all that is good -
                George Washington

Comment

• Mrprovy
                  Mrprovy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely!
              Working...
              X