No announcement yet.

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just grabbed a bottle of that Woodinville last night.
    it was pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
      Just grabbed a bottle of that Woodinville last night.
      it was pretty nice.
      The same one? They made a few different ones from what I have heard.
      Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post

The same one? They made a few different ones from what I have heard.
        Exactly. I believe the other one is a rye
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

Exactly. I believe the other one is a rye
          20210124_162243.jpg

Its good and at 90 proof packs a nice punch. But its not as tasty as I had hoped for. Definitely a fan of the Woodford double Oaked.

20210123_153437.jpg
          Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

• mossy930spx
            mossy930spx commented
            Editing a comment
            woodinville is eeeeeh. Its a young whiskey and it has a heavy oak flavor to me. nice oil content but that's about it. I'll probably use it as a mixer to get the bottle killed

My buddy picked me up a new (to me) variation for next weekend; Makers Mark 101, looking forward to trying it... Anyone else try it yet?
          Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Haven’t had the 101 but Makers Mark is my go to.... would like to know Destro’s take on standard Makers Mark... if he’s listening

Comment

• Destro
              Destro commented
              Editing a comment
              Good old regular Makers Mark is what introduced me — and many others—to bourbon. It was considered a fine whiskey to order even before the whole whisky trend hit in the 2000s and revolutionized the market. It is a blended, mass market 90 proof wheaten bourbon, but done very well. A less expensive alternative that mimics it well is regular Buffalo Trace. A few years ago, due to high bourbon demand, Makers announced they would be watering it down to 80 proof but kept it at 90 due to the backlash. I also have one of their cask strength bottles in my bar I’ve yet to try as small batch snd barrel strength is my interest, but Makers is an iconic brand in bourbon that is one of the most consistent, fine blended mass bourbons out there.

It's Friday night and I opened up a new bottle... Maker's Mark limited release 101 proof. Definitely not what I expected; very bland for a higher ABV, not much flavor, and it threw me off with the screw top😵

Not a recommended buy, I like the regular Maker's Mark much better. I did buy another bottle of Buffalo Trace, so this weeks purchase wasn't a total disappointment.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Don't know if I posted this but I got a bottle of 1776 by James Pepper as a present. It's become my go-to bourbon especially for my new craze, Old Fashions.

Comment

Last night and tonight I've been drinking another makers selection...their cask strength. Honestly, not impressed with makers selections; I like the single barrel buffalo trace much better. Some may like this, but just not enough flavor for me. I'm gonna stick with the Jim beam and buffalo trace distilleries from now on; I've tried so many and those seem to be the ones I gravitate towards and enjoy the most!

... I'm pretty sure Maker's is a Beam distillery, but just not the same (for me)
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by Mrprovy; 02-06-2021, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Destro
                  Destro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Makers is owned by Beam Suntory, the Japanese company that owns Jim beam, and a bunch of other liquor companies including Scotch, Vodka and Tequila. It is however distilled in its own place and operated separately from the Beam small batch brands which are excellent. I agree makers doesn’t compare.

Big fan of Col EH Taylor, was paying $50, same store now asking $70, Blantons money lol. Anyone seeing it for fair prices?

Comment

• Destro
                  Destro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The problem was Ky was shut down by its dem governor. It ain’t aging itself any faster, and the demand actually went up as well. So it might take a while for price adjustments...I was getting Blantons for 55 pre pandemic now if you can find it it’s about 90. I have a bottle of col, Taylor, have yet to try it.

• bberetta1
                  bberetta1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My local guy had Blantons for $120.

• Destro
                  Destro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe it. There were many markets effected by the pandemic supply chain/production issues. Its amazing how lumber, booze, ammo etc. has gone up in this clown world of the last 2 years. Some really interesting articles on each situation. But the premium and perceived premium bourbon products also hiked their prices with the increased recent demand (and yes, home sales drinking has gone up during the scamdemic).
              Working...
              X