X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel more like a man every time I read a destro thread lol

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

Yeah the brown liquor craze (the whisky boom in the industry since the 90s) really brought up prices.

Some limited stuff like the Tennessee Whisky you mention (not sure what limited Jack goes for that much, but I guess some do), and look at Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. Sells for over $2,000 a bottle on craiglist or auctions. And still some of the best drinking bourbons I've had are all in that 40-50 range. It's a good time for brown spirits, so much new and innovative product and great offerings of traditional recipes that would never make it to the market before this current "bourbon craze".

Harmonic

Bourbon, by definition, is mainly a corn mash. The traditional recipes run a bit sweet (in a balanced way, not that fake flavored whisky stuff out there). Traditional notes include; oak (obviously, they are finished in charred oak barrels, which in many cases are then shipped to Scotland for use in their whiskeys), spices, and sweets. Maple, caramel, honey, toffee are commonly referenced bourbon notes. The best finds IMO are when these notes are subtle and balanced and smooth despite the high proof that comes with small batch.
      I just tried one that we got as a gift and it's not too sweet but has a nice pecan taste! LOL
      Reven Stoke Roasted Pecan Whiskey

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderheart View Post

I just tried one that we got as a gift and it's not too sweet but has a nice pecan taste! LOL
        Reven Stoke Roasted Pecan Whiskey
        Yeah, that's a whisky not a bourbon. A Canadian whisky :P

Bourbon has it's own history, and requirements (must be 51% corn). Kentucky Straight must be from KY. It actually was voted by Congress as "America's own spirit" in 1964.

All the whiskeys have experienced new appreciation in the recent boom, but bourbon by far, due to it's tradition and smokey oakey down south taste (I call it the BBQ of spirits) has had the most attention (In fact an expert from the UK controversially has recently said Buffalo Trace in KY is the best distillery in the world now, better than the Scotch distilleries).

The bourbon craze did to whisky what the craft beer thing did to beer. So check out the small batch and single barrel offerings and avoid the gimicky "flavored" whiskeys aimed at college kids. Cheers.

Comment

Yeah, that's a whisky not a bourbon. A Canadian whisky :P

Bourbon has it's own history, and requirements (must be 51% corn). Kentucky Straight must be from KY. It actually was voted by Congress as "America's own spirit" in 1964.

All the whiskeys have experienced new appreciation in the recent boom, but bourbon by far, due to it's tradition and smokey oakey down south taste (I call it the BBQ of spirits) has had the most attention (In fact an expert from the UK controversially has recently said Buffalo Trace in KY is the best distillery in the world now, better than the Scotch distilleries).

The bourbon craze did to whisky what the craft beer thing did to beer. So check out the small batch and single barrel offerings and avoid the gimicky "flavored" whiskeys aimed at college kids. Cheers.
          Thanks for the lesson, very good info. My husband loves his scotch but I really like the bourbons and whiskeys. I don't mind some of the good scotch's but they're a bit much for me. I also really like my Crown Royal though, not the new flavored crap though, the original. Oh who the hell am I kidding, I love tequila too! Anything but vodka or really sweet shit. LOL
          Serioysly though, I'm going to you from now on for advice on spirits.

Comment

I found something interesting the other day at Stew Leonards Farmingdale.
            Charles Goodnight. Its labelled as straight Kentucky Bourbon.
            Small batch 100 proof. Under $40 a bottle and pretty f'ing good for the price.
            Very smooth. I have to do some research on it but it might be a new favorite cheap everyday or mixed drink bourbon.
            You know what kind of people I really don't like?
            Other people.

Comment

Ok, so strange heritage here. Its labelled as SKB but its named after a Texan and bottled in California. But the recipe and the distilling is done by Wild Turkey.
              Not sure what the hell to make of all this other than its a nice bourbon for under $40 and I would but it again.
              You know what kind of people I really don't like?
              Other people.

Comment

Love my office staff. 3 of my admins just presented me with a small desk top size whiskey barrel. Nicely monogramed with my name and MBM Distillery. After I curing it for a few days I will fill with bourbon. Suggestions as to what to use first are welcome.

Love that they noticed I have been drinking bourbon lately since last year they got me 18 y/o MaCallen scotch [my usual go to drink]

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                  Love my office staff. 3 of my admins just presented me with a small desk top size whiskey barrel. Nicely monogramed with my name and MBM Distillery. After I curing it for a few days I will fill with bourbon. Suggestions as to what to use first are welcome.

Love that they noticed I have been drinking bourbon lately since last year they got me 18 y/o MaCallen scotch [my usual go to drink]
                  A very cool gift indeed. For a long time I wanted an original charred barrel from the Kentucky distilleries--many are now sent to Scotland to finish off the Scotch there. I found a few decently priced online but the cost of freight shipping made in prohibitive.

The desktop ones are a nice touch, especially with the monogramming, I'd fill it with whatever your normal go-to is (don't know how much volume they hold). My regular go-tos haven't changed much since I started the thread; Blanton's, Bookers, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Russel's Reserve (which recently re-branded it's label).

Now I've also been gifted some bourbon and though it's a nice gesture, I've been getting many non-Kentucky bottles, some real high-end and neat stuff, but just not my specialty (kind of a shame, like giving a milsurp guy some fancy tactical guns) and maybe I'll start listing them on here so we can get a bourbon trade going. I'll try to get some more reviews up soon.

Cheers all!
                  Last edited by Destro; 02-24-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

holds a fifth. I have a new bottle of Knob creek small batch and a new bottle of four roses single barrel so I will probably use one of those.

Comment

I'm not a drinker but I know some of you lads enjoy the occasional taste. Hope this is interesting to someone.
                      http://hiconsumption.com/2017/03/wha...lended-whisky/

Comment

I have to say that of all the bourbons I've ever had, this is by far the best, hands down. Had to share it here.

Rhetoric 22 from Orphan Barrel.

Orphan Barrel is one of the labels from Diageo where "forgotten"/ abandoned /forfeited whiskies are recovered after long maturation periods in the Stitzel-Weller rickhouses. This latest release originally came from the Bernheim Distillery. Given the age it predates Heaven Hill's ownership and was distilled by United (I.W. Harper), which later became Diageo.

​​​​​​Rhetoric has previous releases as it's an ongoing experiment in long term aging. Multiple barrels of similar age were blended for consistency and then set aside and are going to be released annually, a year older every time. As the name implies, this is aged at least 22 years. I heard mixed reviews on past releases so I was a little apprehensive, but the gamble paid off.

Mash bill of 86% corn, 8% barely, 6% rye - 90.4 proof.

First taste impressions were immediately:

1) Smoothness I've never had before from an unwheated bourbon. Sharp with corn and sugary, almost maple like, sweetness is at the forefront; spicy background is present in almost a perfect proportion. Not bitting or dominating the mouth, but you don't have to search for it either.

2) A surprisingly unexpected lack of oak for its age. Don't get me wrong, it's there in generous amounts but not harsh at all. I have been more into cask strength bourbons lately and love bold flavor, but even so have frequently experienced overaging in many whiskies where the wood comes off too strong (Glenlivet 25 vs 21 for example). It seems to have less woody strength than Pappy 15, or even Elijah Craig 12.

There is no overpowering or even dominate alcohol scent, it has a light warm mouth feel complimented by the scent of honey. Rounding out the profile nicely are more fruity flavors than caramel, which is lacking (the only "complaint" I could think of). Dried apricot and oddly, a little banana. I don't pick up any peppery spice, more a subtle cinnamon.

If you are looking for something special, a personal reward, or you just have the money to blow, do not hesitate to pick this up!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ballistic View Post
                          I have to say that of all the bourbons I've ever had, this is by far the best, hands down. Had to share it here.

Rhetoric 22 from Orphan Barrel.

Orphan Barrel is one of the labels from Diageo where "forgotten"/ abandoned /forfeited whiskies are recovered after long maturation periods in the Stitzel-Weller rickhouses. This latest release originally came from the Bernheim Distillery. Given the age it predates Heaven Hill's ownership and was distilled by United (I.W. Harper), which later became Diageo.

​​​​​​Rhetoric has previous releases as it's an ongoing experiment in long term aging. Multiple barrels of similar age were blended for consistency and then set aside and are going to be released annually, a year older every time. As the name implies, this is aged at least 22 years. I heard mixed reviews on past releases so I was a little apprehensive, but the gamble paid off.

Mash bill of 86% corn, 8% barely, 6% rye - 90.4 proof.

First taste impressions were immediately:

1) Smoothness I've never had before from an unwheated bourbon. Sharp with corn and sugary, almost maple like, sweetness is at the forefront; spicy background is present in almost a perfect proportion. Not bitting or dominating the mouth, but you don't have to search for it either.

2) A surprisingly unexpected lack of oak for its age. Don't get me wrong, it's there in generous amounts but not harsh at all. I have been more into cask strength bourbons lately and love bold flavor, but even so have frequently experienced overaging in many whiskies where the wood comes off too strong (Glenlivet 25 vs 21 for example). It seems to have less woody strength than Pappy 15, or even Elijah Craig 12.

There is no overpowering or even dominate alcohol scent, it has a light warm mouth feel complimented by the scent of honey. Rounding out the profile nicely are more fruity flavors than caramel, which is lacking (the only "complaint" I could think of). Dried apricot and oddly, a little banana. I don't pick up any peppery spice, more a subtle cinnamon.

If you are looking for something special, a personal reward, or you just have the money to blow, do not hesitate to pick this up!
                          You've done a great job explaining the Orphan Barrel concept, kudos to you. They do make a great aged bourbon..I own a few of their bottles from 80 bucks plus and they are good. Everyone should ultimatley find what works for them. If I'm "drinking: the first few old fashioned glasses are the stuff that matters and--especially with the high ABV of a small batch the next won't matter as much :P All my most enjoyable go-tos are still under 50 bucks.

Comment

All my most enjoyable go-tos are still under 50 bucks.
                            Dollar for dollar, still haven't found anything that bested Buffalo Trace when it was $23 a bottle. Those days are gone for a bit.

Comment

Boys ever tried Booker's?
                              here is one of the main reasons i love it,,,,,uncut & unfiltered. Distillers notes...."Booker’s® Bourbon is a rare barrel-strength bourbon, bottled uncut and unfiltered*. But you obviously know a good bit about bourbon, because you don’t end up here by mistake. We don’t advertise. We don’t do social media. We just do bourbon.

We focus on the sweet spot. The center of the rackhouse where the temperature and humidity stars align to create the deepest and most intense flavors. Once it’s aged to perfection, which always varies, the liquid is bottled uncut and unfiltered*. We don’t add, we don’t water down, and we don’t apologize for it. For some people, it may be too much. But for true bourbon fans, it’s probably the best ever.
                              A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

I have a feeling this will be my one of my favorite threads
                                excellent bourbons
                                Last edited by Onelowrider; 12-17-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X