Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    Good point, especially on the barrel proof level. I even remember certain parts of the rickhouse being hotter so they rotate barrels in Aging. However...with small batch the do mix barrels though so they have some control on the proof of the product. EVERY single bottle of small batch Elijah Craig for the last few years was at that very same proof. Not a coincidence.

Blended bourbons (90-80 proof) are all carefully watered down. Makers now makes a barrel proof too which is interesting.
    Last edited by Destro; 05-14-2021, 05:13 PM.

• Mrprovy
    commented on 's reply
    I love the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, well worth keeping on hand

• dougfxdl
    replied
    I 'think' that there is only so much control over the final proof/alcohol content when the aging process is finished, and that's why the variance in proof. They verify the alcohol content prior to bottling and label appropriately. If you find different lots of the same bourbon, it may/will have different proofs.

Leave a comment:

• Destro
    replied
    As per the topic above of prices increasing and some distillers seemingly changing their product....another one of my favorites which underwent a recent change...

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Bourbon 750ml . $74.98 @ Wine Guy, Smithtown

ecraigBP_1.jpg

One of my newer favorites, this barrel proof has everything I look for in a barrel proof-- intense flavor, I prefer the traditional corn bourbon profile that has a nice mix of sweet; maple, toffee, caramel, and spice and tobacco notes--while not coming in too oaky or "alcohol-y", which is always a risk at an above 60%ABV barrel strength.

Now, one thing that happened recently is they changed the labeling of this product, and slightly, the formulation.

The new label shows a slightly lower ABV bringing it from 135 proof down to 125. The bottle also omits "small batch" though there is a rickhouse barrel labeling which should suggest it is sourced from a "small batch". The concern is that they adjusted due to the pandemic demand and watered the past recipe down a bit and may not be sticking to strictly small batch.
    The side labels also indicate both versions are aged 12 years.

ecraigBP_2.jpg

ecraigBP_3.jpg

It tastes damn near the same, so I wouldn't be able to know, and a watering down at that level wouldn't affect it, but it's more the principal. A few years ago Marker's Mark announced it would be watering down its bourbon from 90 to 80 proof to keep up with the demand and stopped when it received major backlash. So there is precedence to this notion.

The Elijah Craig 94 proof small batch is also great, and an excellent almost shocking value in today's pricing ($24.69 at Wine Guy). That's crazy for a real decent small batch. There's no age stated so it's probably considerably less mature than the other ECs but it's a fine tasting small batch at less than the price of some mainstream mixed bourbons. (Wouldn't be surprised if this price gets hiked up in the future).

https://www.thewineguyli.com/search/...lijah%20craig?

Leave a comment:

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    Btw the IW Harper bottle I’m still drinking off was bought from the wine guy for 90 bucks like three years ago. The price increases are amazing.

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    Stagg Jr. is now selling for 299.99 I have an unopened bottle in the bar pic below I bought maybe 3-4 years ago for $55 in Wine Guy Smithtown. I reviewed it in this thread many pages ago. Btw stuff like that was always very hard to find.

• Scottso
    commented on 's reply
    Fuck me, guess I’d better grab another few Col.s lol

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    EH Taylor is selling now for 120 (I have an unopened bottle from a few years ago I must have paid 50 for). Blantons now about a 100. I bought the IW Harper I posted below 2 years before the pandemic for 90, now it selling for 199.99.and higher. It's essentially a somewhat limited edition product with greatly amped up demand lately. Some of my favorite small batch bourbons are still around or under 50 thankfully.

https://www.thewineguyli.com/product...-batch-bourbon

• Scottso
    commented on 's reply
    Not worth $80, Blantons, it’s good but, honestly rather Col Taylor, but still at $70 that’s rough. My mints coming in so Woodford Reserve or Buliet for juleps lol

• Destro
    replied
    Bourbon update....

Rising prices and new looks....

Since I started this thread before this forum came to be (then migrated it) bourbon prices have soared. The pandemic has created a perfect supply and demand boost. KY was shut down by it's democratic gov (new barrels ain't gonna age themselves fasters) and lockdowns and anxiety have cause more people than ever to drink at home, thus increasing in store prices on many items.

Since I started the thread many favorites have gotten new looks in packaging, and some new formulations.

IW Harper 15 Year. ---currently $199.99 at Wine Guy, Smithtown (seen it as high as $267 online)

iwharper.jpg

Just an amazing smooth bourbon, which you would expect from a 15 year old. I was surprised, since I overlooked it at first taste, but went back to it one night and was blown away. Similar traditional corn recipe, as some of my favorties (Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel, Russel's Reserve). All the classic notes (toffee, maple, candy, tobacco, etc.) in a super balanced delivery. One note it it is watered down, only 86 proof!---I am so used to drinking "barrel proof" or "cask strength:" where all the flavor is packed in but also in the 130-150 proof range. Anyway an excellent bourbon.

This would make a great premium gift btw.
    • ORIGIN: I.W. Harper 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey was distilled at the current Bernheim Distillery in Louisville, Ky. and aged most recently at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville.
    • PRODUCTION: The mash bill for I.W. Harper 15-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is approximately 86% corn, 6% rye and 8% barley.

Bourbon bar is currently up to 100 KY bourbons. Lots of great stuff was made in the last 10 years due to the brown spirit craze and even more premium product is being put out, though post pandemic pricing is no joke.

bourbonbar1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    Its over 150 now.

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    I believe it. There were many markets effected by the pandemic supply chain/production issues. Its amazing how lumber, booze, ammo etc. has gone up in this clown world of the last 2 years. Some really interesting articles on each situation. But the premium and perceived premium bourbon products also hiked their prices with the increased recent demand (and yes, home sales drinking has gone up during the scamdemic).

• bberetta1
    commented on 's reply
    My local guy had Blantons for $120.

• Destro
    commented on 's reply
    The problem was Ky was shut down by its dem governor. It ain’t aging itself any faster, and the demand actually went up as well. So it might take a while for price adjustments...I was getting Blantons for 55 pre pandemic now if you can find it it’s about 90. I have a bottle of col, Taylor, have yet to try it.

• Scottso
    replied
    Big fan of Col EH Taylor, was paying $50, same store now asking $70, Blantons money lol. Anyone seeing it for fair prices?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X