The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destro
    started a topic The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

The Bourbon Thread -reviews & more...

As many of you know I like my bourbon, but I also take it seriously. Many of you also know I have a bourbon bar in my home theater, and I'm currently at around 100 bottles of Kentucky Straight, mainly small batch or single barrel. I'll post reviews, historical info, and feel free to add yours, as well as any local price alerts and hard to find bourbons in local stores!

Bourbon Whiskey. America's Native Spirit. The BBQ of liquors; smoky, woodsy, and strong.
    Aged in charred American White Oak barrels in the glorious land of Dixie.

Legend has it that when critics of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant complained to President Abraham Lincoln about Grant's drinking, Lincoln replied, "I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals." Grant's favorite brand is said to be Old Crow, a Kentucky straight Bourbon whiskey that is still sold today.

Kentucky Straight Bourbon (from Kentucky, none of these new yuppie so-called "bourbons" from other locales that jumped on the ultra premium Bourbon bandwagon). A part of Americana, the spirit was actually identified by congress in 1964 a uniquely American product.

I drink my bourbon, neat, with a glass of room temperature water on the side. If you ever drink flavored whiskeys (sacrilege!) or mix your Bourbon into a drink, don't drink with me. You want a Jack and coke, fine, but that ain't bourbon. Preferably single barrel, small batch.

TheBourbonBar.jpg

DestroHomeTheater3.jpg

BourbonBarX.jpg

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    None of this is mine, all on the shelf at my hotel. Looked interesting, I hope someone enjoys these.

7040445A-F080-4369-937A-580E5CBCF9D5.jpegB76AF478-E35A-45B4-8199-26CA85A1AC21.jpeg530D3C2A-A65D-45FC-99FE-C6A468B4602A.jpeg6AE8783C-B8CC-4BD3-9A39-F9625458C2FA.jpeg1ED601D4-1E9C-49A5-9731-8392A5918582.jpegC02FBC31-7A8B-4E49-B996-4335C0B4CB6F.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Originally posted by ZachP View Post
    Snagged a bottle of Blanton’s today. The lady at the liquor store told me they are only allowed to order a couple of bottles every 3 months, very interesting.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to trying the WR Double Oaked for a while now. Will report back.

329092E6-5B79-44FB-862E-360C107902BA.jpeg
    nice. I scored a bottle of Blantons couple of months ago. Gonna enjoy it on my vacation in a few weeks properly outside on my balcony. Assuming it doesn't fucking rain the whole time I'm off!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ZachP
    replied
    Snagged a bottle of Blanton’s today. The lady at the liquor store told me they are only allowed to order a couple of bottles every 3 months, very interesting.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to trying the WR Double Oaked for a while now. Will report back.

329092E6-5B79-44FB-862E-360C107902BA.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• mickeyblueyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
    Any recent Destro sightings?
    The last time I met up with him ,he spoke of some health issues. That was quite a while ago.

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Yeah I picked up 2 more bottles of the Russell's Single Barrel to stock up. So damn hard to find. Four Roses Single Barrel is pretty readily available.

Leave a comment:

• Mrprovy
    replied
    I gotta get my hands on the Russell's Single Barrel!

I recently tried the Jefferson's Reserve Chefs Collaboration; it's a blended bourbon, not a fan. I think their Very Small Batch is significantly more flavorful.

Leave a comment:

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    Any recent Destro sightings?

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Oh they both good. But the edge for me is the Russell's. But it's really close. Russell's just so damn smooth and tasty while the four roses is a bit more spicy with a bite up front. Either one is delicious.

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    The hype is real. Single Barrel version is 10x better. Spicy, sweet, smooth.

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
    My list of likes is similar to mossy's; I did not like the elija Craig at all. Might I suggest getting a bottle of Blackened to try first (I love it!); it's a little different being a blend, but delicious.
    I too have an unopened bottle of Blanton's, but waiting for the right time to crack it open (whatever that actually means)
    Yeah I'll give it a shot. Got to put down a couple of bottles first.

Have to kill this Russell's and the knob creek to make some space. Then restock the four roses.

Blantons im gonna wait till my bday and probably kill it after my second elbow surgery at the end of this year.

Leave a comment:

• Mrprovy
    replied
    My list of likes is similar to mossy's; I did not like the elija Craig at all. Might I suggest getting a bottle of Blackened to try first (I love it!); it's a little different being a blend, but delicious.
    I too have an unopened bottle of Blanton's, but waiting for the right time to crack it open (whatever that actually means)

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Russell's wasn't as sweet as I was lead to believe but it does have a decent spice and flavor. Finish is quick and smooth.

Tag liquors in holbrook in the meat farms and Joe's pizza shopping center has a decent selection of high and low end bourbons and the only place I found to stock Russell's. Russell's was $41 and change out the door.

Compared to bulleit its way better. Has a better all around body of spice and maple/vanilla flavor.

edit: looks like I got the regular Russell's and not the single barrel. Probably why it was a bit of a let down compared to destro's review. Jury is still out on this one.

So far four roses single barrel is heads above the others I've tasted. What I like in the following order:

four roses single barrel
    knob creek special reserve single barrel
    Russell's reserve - regular
    woodford reserve
    bulleit

gonna try elija Craig next. I have blantons but probably not going to crack it till my birthday in December.
    Last edited by mossy930spx; 03-17-2019, 03:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Scored. Lucky walk in at tag liquors in holbrook next to Joe's pizza. Got a decent selection.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mossy930spx
    replied
    Originally posted by Exonautic View Post

Think vanilla. I always found it to be a vanilla bomb
    I smell the vanilla but I get more of a maple nose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X