Whisky purchasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whisky purchasing

I tend to find liquor stores overpriced or understocked for my tastes. Any place to find good whiskys at good prices? I like a lot of the smaller distilleries in Scotland, and this Japanese brand called Nikka is great.

i figure Destro is likely to have a some knowledge here on purchasing

How far are you willing to travel?

Comment

Like 20 minutes or so. I live in W Islip

30 if it's something really niche or small and hard to find without spending 100 on shipping direct from the country.

Comment

Drinkupny.com has interesting stuff, but they are more expensive then my local place. Use it if you can’t find what you’re looking for locally.

Comment

I heard that new store in Westbury has great prices. Total Wine and Spirits

Comment

Originally posted by P Martin View Post
            I heard that new store in Westbury has great prices. Total Wine and Spirits
            Yea, its like a fucking walmart for boose lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dank27 View Post

Yea, its like a fucking walmart for boose lol
              Yes. I've been there and dropped a few dollars there. They have quite an good selection of everything plus the prices are near the bottom of the scale for everything. They make it on volume. If they don't have but their suppliers carry it they will order it for you.
              "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

Depends on what you are looking for. What you have to understand is that stores stock from certain distributors/distilleries. Some may only carry Four Roses or Buffalo Trace product (and the brand names under those distilleries umbrella) but not purchase from other distilleries. So they stock what sells not what's necessarily good or hard to get. In the case of Bourbon, which is my niche, for instance...certain stores will stock Jim Beam product--their small batch collection is pretty good but also popular--Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Booker's and Bakers. Buffalo Trace is an awesome distillery that produces a bunch of named bourbons but not every store stocks it. Now special offerings like Pappy Van Winkle will be offered to stores that sell a lot of volume of Buffalo Trace Product. So that's how it works with bourbon.

Anyway, Wine Guy in Smithtown (my local store) is a very good and large store and a member here is the manager (or was). They do have some nice premium whiskeys. Other than that it's trial and error. For some reason very little stuff online, unlike wine auctions. I often encourage members to report what stores are carrying certain whiskeys.

Some Buffalo Trace Distillery bourbons and rye:
                70b86abca7ad339f3c144d6691e8fd38.jpg

Jim Beam Distillery Small Batch family
                SmallBatchBottles.jpg
                Last edited by Destro; 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

+1 for The Wine Guy in Smithtown; one of the guys I work with turned me on to them and their prices are better than most when not on sale, and their sale prices are fantastic! Plus, they have one of the largest sections around (from what I've seen)

Comment

Nikka is a bitch to find. I had my girlfriend pick me up a bottle from duty free on her way home. What distilleries do you prefer. And are they islays?

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
                      Nikka is a bitch to find. I had my girlfriend pick me up a bottle from duty free on her way home. What distilleries do you prefer. And are they islays?
                      Tell me about it. I refuse to pay $60 for a $30 bottle of Japanese whisky. Yeah the one I really like, Laphroaig, is an Islay.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it

Comment

Smithtowns wine guy is my go to guy. Just don't think about going there a day or two before a holiday.
                          "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeister08 View Post

Tell me about it. I refuse to pay $60 for a $30 bottle of Japanese whisky. Yeah the one I really like, Laphroaig, is an Islay.
                            Yeah unfortunately that's about I paid for it.

Comment

I know you're in Suffolk, but for those in the Nassau area,

Total Wine & Spirits is like Disney World
                              Stew Leonard's is like Dawny Park

Both of them have decent selections at the best prices around, period.

Value Bottles have great price as well, maybe better then the two of them above, but their selection is highly erratic and limited.

Raeders in Alberston has a great selection as well, and he'll have virtually anything you'd want, but expect to pay too dollar and secondary market prices on certain things.

Comment

Working...
                              X