Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peaty scotch whiskey; Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila etc. What and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peaty scotch whiskey; Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila etc. What and where?

So I've started getting into peaty scotch. Stuff aint cheap.
    Lagavulin, Laphroaig are both really good. I haven't tried Caol Ila yet.
    What do you connoisseurs here like and where do you get good deals on this stuff?

"Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

The only liquor I drink is Scotch.

On the rocks and no water.

The stronger the taste the better.

My favorite is Dewar’s white label.

I have had Johnny Walker black, green, gold, platinum, blue, rainbow, etc.

Why drink Scotch if you want something too smooth and tasteless?

Not surprisingly, I was unfamiliar with peaty Scotch until your post.

For others who are also unfamiliar, the below link is a good intro.

https://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/tasting/flavour/peat-and-its-significance-in-whisky.html

Comment

Apple's and oranges. Open asked about single malts and all johnny walkers are blends. Try talisker. I am starting to like it although laphroug is my general, affordable go to when having steak. I like petty with meat.

Comment

Caol Ila is peaty as fuck. Like, it's a primary flavor, tastes kinda like that smell you get from sterile bandages, if that makes sense. That being said, I love it. It's pretty commonly available locally.

Comment

I like Pinch.http://www.haigwhisky.com/haig-pinch-scotch-whisky/

This guy has some nice reviews. https://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot.com/
          Last edited by Grifhunter; 10-13-2016, 12:02 AM.
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

I too like the peat you get in a single malt. Laphroaig is right on the peat note. I've got some MacAllan that's a little more smooth.
            Single malts all the way, though JW blue is enjoyable.

Comment

Macallan 15 is my everyday drink, I find it consistent. 12 yr depends on the year/batch, I find it varies a lot. 18 yr just means I can't pay my mortgage that month.

Comment

My absolute favorite, but can no longer afford, is Macallan 18. Other than that my new go to is Monkey Shoulder. Before you laugh, try it. Its not a single malt but a blend of single malts. $32/ fifth

Comment

The only way for me to really enjoy a single malt is neat, with a water back, or just a single drop of water dropped in the glass. Otherwise, if I drink it on the rocks, I feel like I spent $400 per gallon for melted ice.

Balevenie Double Wood is not usually a peaty single malt. However, one year they made the 17 year-old in a peated cask variety. The "regular" 17 year-old is around $150.00 per bottle, so the special edition is out of my league.
                  I did have some 17 year-old Double Wood in a nice old-fashioned steak house bar in Indy last week. A business group was paying for my dinner so I splurged on the drinks. Marble topped bar, baby grand piano being played in the center of the great room, pretty but un-smart hostesses everywhere, quite a heavenly place.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

I'm a bourbon fan, that's my first love, but if we ever got divorced Islay Scotch would be my second.

I used to be more of a fan of the floral Highlands and Speysides, Glenlevit 18 was my favorite for a long time, but then the Islay's began to call to me as I got more into cask strength bourbons.

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite, followed by the Ardbeg and cask strength Laphroaig. Kilchoman I'm still on the fench about. I have not tried Caol Ila yet.
                    Last edited by Ballistic; 11-26-2016, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Most of the Isley scotches are peaty, but for something a bit different try Ledaig from the Isle of Mull (my original family's turf).

Comment

My usual is Glenfiddich. I'm not that fond of the McCallans that some of my family members prefer, although the older stuff isn't too shabby.

But I really haven't explored the single malts too deeply - I rarely drink.
                        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
                          The only way for me to really enjoy a single malt is neat, with a water back, or just a single drop of water dropped in the glass. Otherwise, if I drink it on the rocks, I feel like I spent $400 per gallon for melted ice.

Balevenie Double Wood is not usually a peaty single malt. However, one year they made the 17 year-old in a peated cask variety. The "regular" 17 year-old is around $150.00 per bottle, so the special edition is out of my league.
                          I did have some 17 year-old Double Wood in a nice old-fashioned steak house bar in Indy last week. A business group was paying for my dinner so I splurged on the drinks. Marble topped bar, baby grand piano being played in the center of the great room, pretty but un-smart hostesses everywhere, quite a heavenly place.

If you like casks- have you tried Aberlour? I also don't like my liquor watered down, although my preference of late is overproof rums.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
                            So I've started getting into peaty scotch. Stuff aint cheap.
                            Lagavulin, Laphroaig are both really good. I haven't tried Caol Ila yet.
                            What do you connoisseurs here like and where do you get good deals on this stuff?
                            if you like Laphroaig you'll like Ardbeg. Going from strong peat taste to weak, then it's Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, then Caol Illa. These are all manufactured in Islay Scotland which is known for the smokey/peat taste. When people talk about Glenfidich, Glenlivet, McCallan and Balvenie, those brands are typically less peaty and sweater and produced in Speyside Scotland. Each of the regions in Scotland produce a flavor that is unique to the region. All the above are single malt scotches. Blends like Johnny Walker, Pinch and Chivas are never smokey and have a completely different taste, more of a smoother, sweeter, floral taste (in my opinion).

Comment

Not sure about peaty but I'm a big fan of Balvenie Doublewood. Highland Park is pretty good too.

Comment

Working...
                              X