Dumb tire question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb tire question

I just had new tires put on my '03 Tahoe. The tires have a slight difference in tread on the inner and outer ring of lugs. (Kumho Crugen HT-51) My garage mounted only 1 tire with the outside sidewall surface showing (marked "Outside"). When he remounts the other tires.... here's my question..... is removing and relocating the valve stem going to create a weak spot in the tires?
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Valve stem not part of tire it is installed in hole in rim
    Last edited by Shamuscull; 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

The valve stem goes through the hole in the rim. From a distance everything is fine. However, three of the tires need to be flipped to show the sidewall marked "outside". Now the valve stem would be under the car with no hole in the rim. Imagine a shop mounts whitewalls with some whitewalls showing. When they flip them to all be showing the whitewalls.... they'd have to remove and relocate the valve stems. Does that weaken the tire?

Comment

The wheels aren't going to be flipped. They have to pull the valve stems from the rims, discount the tires from the rims, install new valve stems (insist upon it), then Intel the tires back onto the rooms with the correct side facing out.

Comment

No they remove the tire and mount it on the other way. Valve stem not removed tire taken off rim and put back on proper way

Comment

I'm lost . The rims can only be mounted to the car one way and that with the valves out . He's going to take the tires off the rims and turn them around and rebalance them I hope

Comment

Originally posted by Shamuscull View Post
              No they remove the tire and mount it on the other way. Valve stem not removed tire taken off rim and put back on proper way
              My point is... when they dismount and remount the tire (correct side out) the valve stem is no longer in the correct position for the hole in the rim. They're gonna have to install a new valve stem on the correct side. What happens to the old valve stem?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                The wheels aren't going to be flipped. They have to pull the valve stems from the rims, discount the tires from the rims, install new valve stems (insist upon it), then Intel the tires back onto the rooms with the correct side facing out.
                And when they do that... does the old valve stem location on the tire become a weak spot?

Comment

I'd like to get my ducks in a row on this ASAP. I dropped the car off just before he closed and want to know if fixing his installation is going to result in tires with a weak spot where the old valve stems were.
                  Tomorrow me and him are gonna talk about this. I want it safe and don't want the garage to put me in a compromised situation just so they don't have to replace the tires.

Comment

like has been said before

your valve stem is in the rim, the rim only has 1 good face- the outside of the rim and the backside witch is not finished and looks totaly different to clear the brakes and suspension

they will take the rim and tire off the truck and separate the tire from the rim and flip the tire 180 degrees and reinstall
                    then re balance the rim and tire and reinstall on the truck. your valve stem will still be on the outside of the rim
                    the only time I have ever seen a rim properly used and installed on a car/truck with the valve stem on the inside is on a dulley, all 6 rims are usually the same on them and the outside rear rims are actually turned "face in"
                    Originally posted by Mad Russian;n47464
                    BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
                    The AR.....wins...????
                    Oh God!
                    I can't believe I said that!!!
                    I'm gonna puke!!!
                    BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Comment

Valve stem stays put, tire gets flipped on rim. Same rim face faces out.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                        I'd like to get my ducks in a row on this ASAP. I dropped the car off just before he closed and want to know if fixing his installation is going to result in tires with a weak spot where the old valve stems were.
                        Tomorrow me and him are gonna talk about this. I want it safe and don't want the garage to put me in a compromised situation just so they don't have to replace the tires.
                        your valve stems do not come in contact with your tires so no there will be no weak spot
                        Originally posted by Mad Russian;n47464
                        BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
                        The AR.....wins...????
                        Oh God!
                        I can't believe I said that!!!
                        I'm gonna puke!!!
                        BUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Comment

After they drop the tranny and yank the motor they can put tires on correctly and reinstall rest.

Comment

All of the above posts are correct lol

Comment

Oh boy. Don't say anything just pick up your car and say thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X