Thinking of Buying an OBD-II Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Buying an OBD-II Scanner

I never owned or used one and not for any particular reason. Sort of idle curiosity, so I don't want to spend a lot. Something along the lines of this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091DJWKG/

So, what can I do with one o' these? I understand people use them to clear maintenance and fault codes, turn off the check engine light, etc. Will it tell me about faults I may not know about otherwise? Can I use it to fix, fine tune or clear historical data (e.g., the top speed the vehicle has been driven, etc.)?

Can I fuck something up? Like I said, mainly curiosity, so I don't want to spend hundreds on one.
    No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
    I never owned or used one and not for any particular reason. Sort of idle curiosity, so I don't want to spend a lot. Something along the lines of this:

So, what can I do with one o' these? I understand people use them to clear maintenance and fault codes, turn off the check engine light, etc. Will it tell me about faults I may not know about otherwise? Can I use it to fix, fine tune or clear historical data (e.g., the top speed the vehicle has been driven, etc.)?

Can I fuck something up? Like I said, mainly curiosity, so I don't want to spend hundreds on one.
    My daughter works at Autel’s USA HQ . She knows all about their products. I’ll send her any questions you have about it. Let me know.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

My daughter works at Autel’s USA HQ . She knows all about their products. I’ll send her any questions you have about it. Let me know.
      Thanks. My curiosity is more general. Just wondering what I can do with these things besides just read fault codes and turn off the check engine light, which I currently have no need.
      No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

As I recall some models include lifetime updates many do not ?

Comment

Bluedriver; Bluetooth scanner, download app (phone/tablet/laptop). I haven't needed them, but reviewers rave about their customer support. App is very user friendly.

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS..._XhxACbSJNM91M

Comment

I bought an Innova 3100 five years ago. It basically does what I need it to do. I'm sure there's better out there. Especially 5 years on.

I get a check engine light. Plug it in. Get a code. Look it up online.

can clear out a code. My Son got an EGR code a couple months back. I wacked the egr valve with a hammer a few times to help clear out the carbon and cleared the computer. It hasn't come back yet.

Paul

Comment

I have this one and it works well

https://www.amazon.com/NEXPEAK-OBD2-.../dp/B078HJYY6F

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post

As I recall some models include lifetime updates many do not ?
                I will ask her.

Comment

Autozone will scan you for free, print out a report, and recommend whether its a DIY project or if you should bring it to the dealer.

Comment

If you buy one be sure you can update it online.
                    stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

The Bluedriver app is constantly updated

Comment

If you have an Android device, I have been using Torque Pro ( https://scanneranswers.com/torque-pro-obd2-app-review/ ) for years, which is around $5. I think there is a free version to try it out, not sure of the differences.

I have a cheap OBDII bluetooth dongle for like $10 (I don't leave it in, so don't have to worry about battery drain that a lot of the cheaper ones do).

For $15-$20 it lets me view/clear codes (and look them up automatically on my phone from the app) and gives me a ton of sensor information if I am curious. If you get a beter dongle that does not drain battery, you can leave it in and have more info from the app if you wish.
                        Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Does she get any discounts? I'm looking for an Autel product.

Comment

obd scanner and free android app. $10. will do almost everything you need. https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...4&sr=1-8-spell

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

- The red non-tablet tools have free lifetime software updates

- The only thing you could screw up is shutting off the MIL light by mistake. (don't ask me what that means).

If you have any specific tasks you want to accomplish she said she could steer you to the right product.

Comment

Working...
                              X