Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post
    That's why some Ins Co.s offer discounts for you to allow them access
    One manufacturer that I work for does not allow a device to be plugged into a DLC as it will alter communication. We can even tell if removed and tell customer when it was removed, LOL. Some manufacturers view this as a violation of federal law, The one that states it is a federal violation to alter the Federally mandated emission components.

Comment

I wonder what kind of info Progressive Insurance gathers with their "Snapshot" plugin.

https://www.progressive.com/auto/dis...mon-questions/

Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 02-19-2019, 08:48 PM.
      No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Autoinfo07 View Post

One manufacturer that I work for does not allow a device to be plugged into a DLC as it will alter communication. We can even tell if removed and tell customer when it was removed, LOL. Some manufacturers view this as a violation of federal law, The one that states it is a federal violation to alter the Federally mandated emission components.
        I get that any emissions alterations are forbidden . yet isn't the DLC is used for emissions testing and "should" be available to connect to by the state mandated test system at any inspection location without penalty or intimidation by the manufacturer. The path manufacturers are going to protect their intellectual property makes me want to bring back cars with points, but then there's the federal mandated emissions monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTRAGED View Post

I get that any emissions alterations are forbidden . yet isn't the DLC is used for emissions testing and "should" be available to connect to by the state mandated test system at any inspection location without penalty or intimidation by the manufacturer. The path manufacturers are going to protect their intellectual property makes me want to bring back cars with points, but then there's the federal mandated emissions monitoring.
          The DLC is used by authorized equipment for testing and reading and writing data. The insurance industry that keeps it plugged in, is not authorized use. We have found that it interrupts communication between devices (Control modules). Manufacturers cannot ensure that there communication can continue at critical times when for example, VDC operation and air bag systems have to work in concert at critical times when an insurance company wants to know how often you accelerate over 55MPH. The federal government dictates what protocols are used to communicate and manufacturers guarantee there systems work within these protocols (remember VW Diesels) But when a hacker uses a portion of ID and calibration versions that don't meet all criteria the data is corrupted and is no longer responsible for the failure to provide seamless communication and decisive action (airbag deployment or VDC operation or both) Tuners are the worst offenders of this.

I had to read this 3 times before I understood LOL (bring back cars with points) Very good Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
            Bluedriver; Bluetooth scanner, download app (phone/tablet/laptop). I haven't needed them, but reviewers rave about their customer support. App is very user friendly.

BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS..._XhxACbSJNM91M
            Mrprovy Thing is awesome. Got mine yesterday and already used it.
            Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Originally posted by lynyrd View Post
              I bought an Innova 3100 five years ago. It basically does what I need it to do. I'm sure there's better out there. Especially 5 years on.

I get a check engine light. Plug it in. Get a code. Look it up online.

can clear out a code. My Son got an EGR code a couple months back. I wacked the egr valve with a hammer a few times to help clear out the carbon and cleared the computer. It hasn't come back yet.

Paul
              the old "hit with a hammer fix". my father taught me that over 50 years ago.
              "The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

the old "hit with a hammer fix". my father taught me that over 50 years ago.
                Smacking the side or banging on the top with you fist was particularly effective on old TV sets. They just don't make things like they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

Smacking the side or banging on the top with you fist was particularly effective on old TV sets. They just don't make things like they used to.
                  my family bought our first TV around 1950. The TV was delivered, and then a technician came to install the tubes.
                  "The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth."

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post

my family bought our first TV around 1950. The TV was delivered, and then a technician came to install the tubes.

If smacking the thing didn't work, my father would send me down to the local drug store with a bag of tubes.

FUCK, I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post

Mrprovy Thing is awesome. Got mine yesterday and already used it.
                      Oh yeah. Hot shit. Just tried mine out.

You want one of these. Even if you don't need it. Kind of why I started this thread. I heard about OBD scanners for years and they were expensive, but since they've come down in price, I was thinking 'Why don't I have one ?'

There are cheaper ones and I hear the Tourque app works with almost all of them but I just went with the BlueDriver and their app is free. Everybody raves about the customer service too.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

Oh yeah. Hot shit. Just tried mine out.

You want one of these. Even if you don't need it. Kind of why I started this thread. I heard about OBD scanners for years and they were expensive, but since they've come down in price, I was thinking 'Why don't I have one ?'

There are cheaper ones and I hear the Tourque app works with almost all of them but I just went with the BlueDriver and their app is free. Everybody raves about the customer service too.
                        Got a pic of what you see when logged in to it?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post

I didn't take a screen snap but there are samples on their web site and app page. A lot might depend on the vehicle itself.

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/...iver-scan-tool
                          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...river&hl=en_US

Couldn't be easier to use:
                          1. Download the app.
                          2. Plug in the module.
                          3. Key on, pair the module and your phone.
                          4. Start the car. It starts scanning and away you go.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post

45F053D8-21CB-4C60-B860-28AD323E1BD9.png

Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Working...
                            X