Inexpensive Stick Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive Stick Shift

When I was in high school, my dad picked up a Dodge Colt. Maybe it was a 1980 or so. It was a 4 speed. Lizzard taught me to drive a stick in it. I had a blast driving it until I wiped out on wet leaves and smacked it into a schoolmate's '71 Malibu. We transplanted the engine into another Colt roller that my dad had on the side of the house so it wasn't a complete loss.
    The car had no balls but was fun as hell to drive. It was cheap to maintain. I have had a hankering to drive a stick again. What would be cheap to buy and maintain but still fun to drive? Speed would be nice but is a lower priority than cheapness?

what are you looking for daily driver or weekend fun

Comment

Originally posted by Fandj View Post
      what are you looking for daily driver or weekend fun
      I'd say weekend fun. But if it gets good gas mileage, I would certainly drive it to work weather permitting.

Comment

I have a 1989 Geo Tracker soft top. It’s a 5 speed I love driving it. They are cheap too. I got mine with origional paint for $1200. Put a new top on it for $180 and painted the wheels and looked great
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know of many cars that can even be gotten with a stick anymore, especially cheap ones. Maybe a Civic Si or Type R. NOT cheap. Maybe some other "sporty" cars from other manufacturers.
          No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
            I have a 1989 Geo Tracker soft top. It’s a 5 speed I love driving it. They are cheap too. I got mine with origional paint for $1200. Put a new top on it for $180 and painted the wheels and looked great
            Wasn't that the same car as the Suzuki Samurai? Weren't they noted for flipping over?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
              I don't know of many cars that can even be gotten with a stick anymore, especially cheap ones. Maybe a Civic Si or Type R. NOT cheap. Maybe some other "sporty" cars from other manufacturers.
              There are a few that are still made with a stick. But I am looking in the used category anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

Wasn't that the same car as the Suzuki Samurai? Weren't they noted for flipping over?
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Driving a stick is getting to be a lost art... Save the manuals!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheelbliss View Post
                    Driving a stick is getting to be a lost art... Save the manuals!!
                    manual-manuel-spanish-vs-mexican-cars-now-you-know-the-15054434.png
                    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

This was slightly bigger than the samurai and had coil springs and front independent suspension. Samurai had front and rear solid axels and leaf springs. This was not the one known for flipping. Hahaha

Comment

When I was in high school, my dad picked up a Dodge Colt. Maybe it was a 1980 or so. It was a 4 speed. Lizzard taught me to drive a stick in it. I had a blast driving it until I wiped out on wet leaves and smacked it into a schoolmate's '71 Malibu. We transplanted the engine into another Colt roller that my dad had on the side of the house so it wasn't a complete loss.
                        The car had no balls but was fun as hell to drive. It was cheap to maintain. I have had a hankering to drive a stick again. What would be cheap to buy and maintain but still fun to drive? Speed would be nice but is a lower priority than cheapness?
                        When I got out of the service in late "72" - with my get out money I bought a left over "71" Dodge Colt - fleet white 2 dr. - 5 spd. -- the last anti-American jap POS I'll ever buy - LOL

Last edited by Ricekila; 02-23-2019, 06:19 PM.
                        NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

I've always been impartial to the Firebirds. If I ever have money to burn I plan on buying one and modding it until I fit in the damn thing. I've seen running ones for about 5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post

When I got out of the service in late "72" - with my get out money I bought a left over "71" Dodge Colt - fleet white 2 dr. - 5 spd. -- the last anti-American jap POS I'll ever buy - LOL

Ours looked a lot like that. Maybe it was closer in year to 72.

Comment

upload_2019-2-8_23-22-6.png

Oh... you meant the vehicle itself, not just the stick shift.
                              John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Working...
                              X