Towing a car on a dolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing a car on a dolly

Anyone ever tow a car with a dolly? I rather tow with a flatbed but I do not think that U Haul with rent me one for my wrangler unlimited. Anything I should know about trailering a car with a dolly?

My my wife found a project car for us. A 1982 fiat 124 spider in PA we are going to look at this weekend. Looks in good shape. Might have to buy a pair of rear tires if I am going to dolly it.

Also which bridges do I avoid on the way back with a trailer?

I towed a car from here to Boca Raton easy didn’t even know it was there. Can you tow a rear wheel drive car with a dolly?
    Last edited by Shamuscull; 04-25-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

When I moved here from Arkansas in '86 I towed my '92 Nissan Stanza with a tow dolly. It was front wheel drive.

As a side note though. I was prevented from using the Jersey Turnpike. I was told by the person at the toll booth, and I quote, "all 4 up or all 4 down." After asking about my options, I was told there was a "highway" that runs parallel to the turnpike. I proceeded to drive through every podunk town the length of the state.

Paul

Comment

they can be a little squirrely

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
          I do not think that U Haul with rent me one for my wrangler unlimited.
          Just tell them your flat bedding an over sized go-cart -- you're not lying -- LOL

Your factory tow capacity is 3,500 lbs -- combined --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Also which bridges do I avoid on the way back with a trailer?
            All of them -- LOL
            NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

look for the least bumpy road . Verrazanno to the belt ?

Comment

I would pull the driveshaft if it’s an auto.
                Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

As long as he finds a junk yard yoke to keep the trans fluid where it belongs --

Comment

You should be able to tow it without a problem but how long the car has the car been off the road ? Are the rear wheel bearings good / dies it roll easily I would consider just having it transported until you have checked out that is a small call and your truck will pull it on a flatbed. Maybe a forum member has one or knows someone that can do it for a fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post
                      I would pull the driveshaft if it’s an auto.
                      It’s a Manual trans. I read that somewhere to pull the shaft off. I thought It was a bit much

Comment

Originally posted by Fandj View Post
                        You should be able to tow it without a problem but how long the car has the car been off the road ? Are the rear wheel bearings good / dies it roll easily I would consider just having it transported until you have checked out that is a small call and your truck will pull it on a flatbed. Maybe a forum member has one or knows someone that can do it for a fair price.
                        Yeah I am a bit concerned about the bearings too. I will need two 14” tires for the rear as the current ones are dried out.

Comment

My Brother in law and I pulled a 72 Ford Mustang from Baltimore a few years ago. It was a shit show. Lol
                          Definitely change the rear tires as ours blew 10 minutes into the pull. As for the rear bearings, nothing happened to them. That car was sitting to 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Karpteach View Post
                            My Brother in law and I pulled a 72 Ford Mustang from Baltimore a few years ago. It was a shit show. Lol
                            Definitely change the rear tires as ours blew 10 minutes into the pull. As for the rear bearings, nothing happened to them. That car was sitting to 15 years.
                            Yeah I am worried about a shit show. Yeah I will be looking for a cheap set of tires after we decide to buy.

Comment

Yeah I am worried about a shit show. Yeah I will be looking for a cheap set of tires after we decide to buy.
                              We went to a “used” tire shop. You can find them everywhere outside of NY. Our mistake was not changing them before we got onto the highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X