Towing a car on a dolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spider View Post

Pulling anything can be dicey under certain situations. Braking can be a nightmare. Loads can come loose.
    It's a pain in the ass . I trailered a pickup back from upstate with my conversion van . Have you ever lost your brakes and still had to drive a ways to get home ? That's what towing is like , you drive slow , thinking WAY ahead of you .

Comment

Originally posted by warmnfuzzy View Post

It's a pain in the ass . I trailered a pickup back from upstate with my conversion van . Have you ever lost your brakes and still had to drive a ways to get home ? That's what towing is like , you drive slow , thinking WAY ahead of you .
      It's like driving a truck load of gasoline down a mountain. You need a lot of notice to make a right hand turn.

Comment

Originally posted by warmnfuzzy View Post

My wife's cousin bought an RV to travel the country. I told him to take a couple short trips to work out the kinks. He said he didn't need to. They were on I95 heading south on the second day of the trip. He decided that it was really time consuming to empty his water tank every day so he ignored the operating instructions and drove with a partial tank of H2O. Once that water started moving back and forth he experienced death wobble at 65mph. He thought the whole rig was going to come apart at the seams. He got out and harfed his guts out once he got the thing under control. Then he called me to tell me he should have listened.

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Only if your weight distribution is off. Towed my '64 Power Wagon tow truck on a dolly behind my 77 K 10 pickup, experienced the dolly going wild as the weight was all wrong. Kept the speed down and it was ok. Almost rolled it(had the spot picked out and everything) on Rt 17, but the drag of the snow slowed it down and it straightened out. Was a long New Years Eve....
          Route 17 has its name on many skeletons. If you don't respect it, you're gonna be screwed big time.

Comment

Went to see the car today. It was on ok condition not as good as I liked. Problem is too much was taken apart and not put back together. Also the motor was the wrong motor for the year. Should have been fuel injected, but was carburetor. Also the guy did not want to put gas in the tank to run it or show it runs

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post
              He said oh yeah? To the tollbooth attendant who told him either "all four up or all four down".

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
                Went to see the car today. It was on ok condition not as good as I liked. Problem is too much was taken apart and not put back together. Also the motor was the wrong motor for the year. Should have been fuel injected, but was carburetor. Also the guy did not want to put gas in the tank to run it or show it runs
                that sucks . I have bought many , many , old cars , bikes , and trucks. Get a lot of good pics first . I had a specific set of questions I would ask each seller to fathom out the truth about the vehicle . It's an exercise in psychology .

Comment

That tiny car? I'd wrap in it brown paper and let the UPS guy deliver it.
                  LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post

I use the car trailer much easier behind my duramax diesel and I like having real lights on trailer vs the magnetic on the vehicle being towed.
                    I've done both, and I'd rather have the dolly on a known towed vehicle. Then again, my trailer is 28 feet long and weighs 2ton by itself. and on my last trip, a Jeep XJ on the dolly behind a Caravan did 80mph the whole way down without so much as a wiggle
                    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
                      So you walked away? Good idea. Sounds like it was a junkyard special, let's see if this works and sell to a unsuspecting buyer

Comment

Originally posted by Shamuscull View Post
                        I towed a car from here to Boca Raton easy didn’t even know it was there. Can you tow a rear wheel drive car with a dolly?
                        Back it onto the dolly or disconnect the driveshaft, unless it has another option for disengaging the tranny or is a manual
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                        X