Does Anyone Get Their Car Serviced by the Delear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Anyone Get Their Car Serviced by the Delear

I learned a long time ago not to go to auto repair chains like Firestone, Great Bear, Sears (defunct), Pep Boys, etc. I was always charged a lot, and the workmanship was always poor and expensive (stay away from their "anyone can apply" credit cards!)

I had an awesome local mechanic who retired. No matter what the problem, I ended up paying $600-$800.00. However, the car was always fixed.

I have been to some local new car dealers for free oil changes. However, they always try to convince you that your new car needs $800.00 plus of additional "scheduled maintenance" ( ex. fresh air in the tires - sarcasm but otherwise true ).

Where do people bring their "newer" under warranty cars to be serviced?

Depends on the car and if I have a warranty in place.

I tend to use the dealer.
    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

1- Dealers generally suck. They print money in their service departments and hire the same people Jiffy Lube and Firestone do.

2- Find a mechanic you trust and stick with him (or her 😁).

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        1- Dealers generally suck. They print money in their service departments and hire the same people Jiffy Lube and Firestone do.

1-is absolutely incorrect!

Dealer techs are required to be trained by the manufacturer, otherwise the dealer does not get paid for warranty work. For vehicle specific work, especially when it comes to computer related problems, the dealer is your best option. The hourly rates are higher, but it'll get fixed right without the guess work a lot of private shops go through. Don't get me wrong, there are good techs that work at/own private shops, but it's not easy finding them.

You're not obligated to pay for the extra "recommended" services, so don't let them pressure you into it (especially if leasing). They're just trying to make money like everywhere else; I don't think there are any shops making money on oil changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post

Dealer techs are required to be trained by the manufacturer, otherwise the dealer does not get paid for warranty work. For vehicle specific work, especially when it comes to computer related problems, the dealer is your best option. The hourly rates are higher, but it'll get fixed right without the guess work a lot of private shops go through. Don't get me wrong, there are good techs that work at/own private shops, but it's not easy finding them.

You're not obligated to pay for the extra "recommended" services, so don't let them pressure you into it (especially if leasing). They're just trying to make money like everywhere else; I don't think there are any shops making money on oil changes.
          Most of my dealer experience is a few years old but it was also with Security Dodge/Jeep true). Ford (Northport) before that and they both had pretty transient shop staff. Maybe the certified techs are a core group but I’ve had the wrong brakes put into my explorer...found out the hard way they were wrong. Electrical problems that I entrusted the dealer with became a months long debacle that my neighborhood guy cleaned up in one day.
          An exception has been Acura. My wife prefers them for some of her work and they’ve been pretty good.
          I’ll give you there probably are good people at dealers but I haven’t encountered many.

Comment

I had our cars serviced while we had the free oil changes.

The first time time I changed the oil myself I found an almost completely stripped drain plug and fucked up threads in the oil pan, I lost my shit.
            The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post
              I had our cars serviced while we had the free oil changes.

The first time time I changed the oil myself I found an almost completely stripped drain plug and fucked up threads in the oil pan, I lost my shit.
              That means the dealer actually changed your oil one time. I’m impressed.

Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

As a dealer MB tech for just about 20yrs I can honestly say to #1 not where I work.The amount of factory training is insane.We dont hire just anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by artburg View Post

As a dealer MB tech for just about 20yrs I can honestly say to #1 not where I work.The amount of factory training is insane.We dont hire just anyone.
                  My neighborhood guy tells me exactly the same thing. And I know only by being a customer for years that he has near zero turn over. His equipment and tool costs are astronomical and his guys are (as far as I know) top notch.
                  If I ever got to a years old relationship with a dealer I might have found the same but negative experiences always prevented that from happening.
                  The fact that we can now do many recalls/warranty work at a certified shop is also a bonus.

Comment

As stated above, the dealer "A" techs get a ton of new & recurrent training, they have to. As for the servicing packages that your vehicle "must have", I always tell people to refer to the owners manual servicing schedule chart. If it's NOT listed in your maintenance schedule, then go pound sand. That usually shuts them down pretty quick. Whatever the manufacturer wants done, over the life of your vehicle, is right in your owners manual. Ymmv

Comment

It took a youtube video and an $8 package of weatherstripping for me to end the rainwater leaks in my Jeep Wrangler. This problem plagues countless owners over the years who have spent inordinate amounts of time letting the experts (dealers) adjust doors and replace factory gaskets with few successful outcomes. Dealers can only do what corporate allows them to do.
                      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I won't go near chain places. They only pay enough to get the most unqualified "mechanics". They end up with the knuckle-draggers. They'll hire anybody.

A good local mechanic is like gold. I know of one near where I work but I don't know of any in my neighborhood.

I only buy new cars and I generally go to a dealer's service department. Yeah, they cost more but they're not looking at my car for the first time. They've seen hundreds of the same car and they're more knowledgeable that anyone. None of the dealers I've been to have to drum up business by convincing you do do work you don't have to. That's just my experience. And they use OEM parts. Some after-market parts might be just as good but almost none are better.

If you want to go cheap, go cheap. It's your money. My money is my money.
                        No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post

Full disclosure a certain luxury car dealer hired me out of Jiffy Lube with no certies/schooling whatsoever to work on their cars.
                          I went back to Jiffy Lube.
                          Jiffy Lube paid me better and more accommodating hours. And the service writers bullshitted customers more in the few months I worked there than I've seen at jiffy lube for the 5 years I've been there.
                          25-30% of the people I worked with at J lube were dealer mechanics and technicians from firestone/pep boys who got tired of the bullshit.
                          And they went to jiffy lube to get away from said bullshit.

I always tell my friends, get your free shit from the dealer and then don't look back.
                          Find a certified mechanic that you know personally and trust, and have them do your work. Never let strangers work on your car.
                          Last edited by viper720; 05-23-2019, 09:26 PM.
                          It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
                          This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
                          We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
                          Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

My wife’s minivan is a lease so the oil changes are done at the dealsership cause it’s free.

my 2010 mazda is done by a friend who I’ve known since junior high school and I grew up with hm and know his passion for cars so I trust him. He is the service manager at Midas over in herricks by volko. Guy is a computer when it comes to cars.

Comment

When my car was still on original or extended warranty I took it to the dealer.

Once that expired, a good mechanic!
                              I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                              I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Working...
                              X