Does Anyone Get Their Car Serviced by the Delear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artburg View Post

As a dealer MB tech for just about 20yrs I can honestly say to #1 not where I work.The amount of factory training is insane.We dont hire just anyone.
    My service for both my MB vehicles at your dealership has been excellent and never had any issues. I have had the same service writer for many years.
    All services have been out of warranty service and have not been pushed to buy any services other than what what would be scheduled main.

Comment

Never had a problem with the work the dealer did. Once they did the job twice because it broke again and they covered the second time under repair warranty so no cost to me (it was a big job).

The cost for dealer service, that's another matter.....
      I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
      I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

on my truck, only warranty work. on my bmw everything.
        "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

My last car was a certified-used Acura that I bought from Island Acura in Wantagh. One selling point was that the dealership is across the street from a train station on my line. I drop the car off and walk across the street then pick it up after work. Easy Peasy. They took good care of me and I developed a relationship with the service manager who always did the intake for me. He even started getting the paper work ready ahead of time so I wouldn't miss my train. When I was shopping for another car 1.5 years ago, I called him to ask him about an MDX from another dealer that I was looking at. He told me about transmission trouble they were having with certain model years so I knew to stay away from them. I bought another certified car from another Acura dealer, but I take it to Island Acura for service and they've again been great.
          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
          Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
          Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Monday story... FIL takes son to Firestone instead of where I told him to go. He goes to Firestone and I've been telling him to stop but his $, so he can do what he wants. So Firestone does the oil change and inspection the tech comes out and tells my FIL it passed inspection but needs 4 new tires.... Son calls me and tells me the story.. Lol. Freaking tires are 13 months old with 6k on them! And if the tires are bad how did it pass inspection. The chuckles!

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
              Monday story... FIL takes son to Firestone instead of where I told him to go. He goes to Firestone and I've been telling him to stop but his $, so he can do what he wants. So Firestone does the oil change and inspection the tech comes out and tells my FIL it passed inspection but needs 4 new tires.... Son calls me and tells me the story.. Lol. Freaking tires are 13 months old with 6k on them! And if the tires are bad how did it pass inspection. The chuckles!
              Mavis tried to sell me tires that were 2 years old according to the DOT numbers and had brown sidewalls. I was going to take them to my mechanic to get them mounted. The guy at the counter was P.O.'d that I wanted to look at them before paying.
              Last edited by Barnslayer; 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
                Tell him to get a $5 tread depth gauge. Very easy to verify the story.
                State minimum is 2/32". Recommended depth to replace tires however is 4/32". If he's between 3/32" and 5/32" the recommendation is appropriate.
                With 6k mi it's very unlikely that they're anywhere near being due for replacement, unless your FIL bought them used and they have wear and tear, or hes doing burnouts in his spare time.
                Additionally if the wheels are WAY out of alignment or the tires have been heavily underinflated or overinflated, either the inside or outside tread can be worn down to nothing very quickly, so also something to investigate.

But again, a $5 tread depth gauge can corroborate or disprove whatever they tell you in approx. 30 seconds.
                When it doubt, get a second opinion.

I've used firestone twice in my life.
                Both times I gave them a tip up front, told them exactly what I want, encouraged them to tell me if any other work was necessary, and both times I got the car back with zero B.S. and discounts applied when I bought tires from them.

I have a shop that doesn't do inspections at my disposal, so I pre-check every inspection item before taking it to the inspection station so I know what I'm getting into.

Last time I got the car inspected at firestone they missed my driver side tail light being out. I had the bulb ready and was gonna have them throw it in when they caught it, but they didn't and passed me anyway, and I ended up doing it myself 10min after I left
                Last edited by viper720; 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM.
                It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
                This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
                We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
                Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

I use the dealer when it’s under warranty or for a recall. Otherwise I go to the independent trusted mechanic.

Comment

i have my wife's rav4 serviced by dealer, mainly because they offered me two years free oil changes when i bought the car. pretty happy with them. Saturday service is a good thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by GettingFedUp View Post
                      I use the dealer when it’s under warranty or for a recall. Otherwise I go to the independent trusted mechanic.
                      Me too. At my age we get the extended warranties and my go to mechanic will tell me the work would be under warranty so returns the car so I can bring it to the thieves,errr dealer.

Comment

The few independent mechanics I've trusted became so popular that I could never get my car in and back on the same day. So I use a local Midas for quick easy stuff like inspection, oil changes, brake pads. Anything weird or diagnostic I tend to go dealer. Anything that really needs a real wrench guy or something rebuilt, I rent a car and go to the independent.
                        Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Working...
                        X