Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone work for a Ford dealership?

I'm going for a long shot here.

The power rear liftgate stopped working on my 2014 Expedition. An electric motor assembly turns a cable shaft that runs into a linear actuator. The cable shaft started to unwind a bit at the end and stripped out the plastic drive in the motor. I'm looking at around $800 in parts, screw that.

I removed the ends of the two loose wires in the square drive end of the cable and epoxied it together. I took apart the motor and removed the stripped drive. (it is the black piece in the second and third pictures)

I'm hoping that someone who works for Ford might have replaced a non functioning motor recently and still has the old one around, or might replace one in the near future and remember me.

I don't care if the motor assembly was left in the rain for years or run over by a Mack truck, I'm trying to not spend $600 for a new one or $200 plus for a used one when mine works fine and all I need is the little plastic drive.
    lift motor.jpeg

lift motor drive.jpeg

lift motor assembly.jpeg
    Last edited by OH UNCLE PAUL; 08-11-2019, 04:22 PM.
    The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

do not work for ford but was considering buying a similar expo ,,, any other issues with the truck i should look for ???

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
      do not work for ford but was considering buying a similar expo ,,, any other issues with the truck i should look for ???
      Do not skimp on oil changes. The Variable Cam Timing phasers have engine oil running through them, you don't want to fuck that up.

They also have spark plug issues. Not like the older Expeditions where the plugs flew out of the engine, but the exact opposite. These plugs like to break off in the engine during change.

Run Techron every other tank and change the plugs at half of what they suggest. At least then they will come out without breaking off in the engine.

Other than that I have had no issues. Just turned 85,000 miles, easily 75,000 has been highway back and forth to TN though.
      The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

I had an issue with plastic gears on the pop-up headlights in a Firebird back in the day. It was such a known problem that someone on eBay machined metal gears for them. You might want to check and see if anyone has machined those gears out of metal. Maybe you’ll get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

Do not skimp on oil changes. The Variable Cam Timing phasers have engine oil running through them, you don't want to fuck that up.

They also have spark plug issues. Not like the older Expeditions where the plugs flew out of the engine, but the exact opposite. These plugs like to break off in the engine during change.

Run Techron every other tank and change the plugs at half of what they suggest. At least then they will come out without breaking off in the engine.

Other than that I have had no issues. Just turned 85,000 miles, easily 75,000 has been highway back and forth to TN though.
          thanks , i have a older expo , do not skimp on oil , only full synthetic , plug issue ok thanks

Comment

Even if you can't find one, it would probably be cheaper to have a machinist Fab one for you if you know one.

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
              Even if you can't find one, it would probably be cheaper to have a machinist Fab one for you if you know one.
              Shit, I'd even take a 3d printed one.

I have searched high and low on the internet for a parts breakdown of the motor assembly to no avail. Nothing molded into the part as far as any type of number to even lead me to a dead end.

Comment

Malaka (remember him?) knows the manager at Hempstead Ford. I met the guy once but I'm nobody to him.
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Did you try rockauto.com yet?
                  III%

Comment

Originally posted by Li02liberty View Post
                    Did you try rockauto.com yet?
                    They don't even list the motor assembly itself. But yes, I did.

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
                      They have a lot of issues. The biggest being the paint on the hood and tailgate. The power running boards kinda a suck. Like any vehicle, you see a lot or the same issues. I have 40k on mine with no issues. Join the Facebook group and you see the common issues.
                      Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post

They have a lot of issues. The biggest being the paint on the hood and tailgate. The power running boards kinda a suck. Like any vehicle, you see a lot or the same issues. I have 40k on mine with no issues. Join the Facebook group and you see the common issues.
                        Ford repainted both under warranty.

I lube the fuck out of the running boards.

Comment

my 03 suburban has 211 k on it and runs like a top

Comment

Working...
                          X