The Great Jeep Quest -- Part Duh ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Jeep Quest -- Part Duh ?

Part one ended it tears - I let Wifey do the negotiating and she screwed it up twice -- granted then we only had so much money to spend on "her" - new-ish for her car ------

Turns out when we sold the nest egg ( house ) -- I got her her first brand new car -- 2019 Trax --shes very happy with this cracker box

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo --

Driving around town for the last few weeks I'm looking for a Jeep for me -- my 1995 Grand-O-Key is getting old -- the brand new ( rebuild ) AAMCO trans ( $4000. + ) helps -- but after 10 years I'd like some thing a little newer --

I notice a nice 08 Grand for sale in the Stop & Pee parking lot on Montauk and Great East Neck -- $5775. -- all the bells & other crap - re-painted at some point but very clean -- wrote down the phone # --

Later that afternoon I spotted a very clean 07 Liberty for $4000.-ish on the north Sunrise service road & Hubbards Path. ---- then I noticed something ----- 10 parking spots over was another car for sale ( jap crap I wouldn't touch ) --- same hand writing on the sign -- same phone #'s --

Late that afternoon I took Wifey to see the Stop & Pee Jeep ---- gone -- Crap it must have been sold ------- then taking Wifey shopping up north on Deer Park Ave. -- I make a u-turn by the T-D bank --- the Stop & Pee black Grand Cherokee is there ----- guess what -- same phone # --

That night I Google the # and it comes back to --- SGM Auto Sales West Babylon --- OK --- they're dropping cars all over town to increase eye balls to make a sale ---- I'd do the same thing --

We go there to ask about the Jeep --

"Its not us -- we're a legitimate car lot" ! ---- funny -- all the phone #'s are the same ------ after about 5 minutes we left -- Hummmmmmm --

Now -- did I write down the correct number ? ---- The next day -- all the numbers on the cars now missing the last digit & theres a paper covering all the VINS ----

"Caveat Emptor"

And I'm still looking for a Jeep
    NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Just torch each one you see, and that shit will stop. Good luck in your quest.

Ok, so on second thought, the torching is a bit extreme, so just take a dump on/at the base of the windshield. That should do it.

Comment

Sounds like something Security would do. Not the marketing part but the lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
        Gabe was a turd back in the late 60's hanging out at McDonald's on Montauk Hwy. 100 years ago ---- God I'm old -- LOL

Only second to Richie Zul -- "Daddy my car lost a race -- I need more money" --- LMFRAO
        Last edited by Ricekila; 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM.
        NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
          Hmm. I remember an architect that just loved that place.
          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

If you're looking for Grand Cherokees I would go straight to the 4th Gen.
            The older ones are almost always beat to shit and don't age well. If your budget is a little flexible and you don't mind the "mom mobile" look you can do a lot with the 4th gen and the truck offers a lot more in terms of ride, comfort, and luxury.

And that's coming from an XJ fag.
            It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
            This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
            We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
            Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

Save yourself the trouble and get any other car brand. The Jeep GC Limited I had was the biggest POS vehicle I have ever owned. I’d rather have a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
                Save yourself the trouble and get any other car brand. The Jeep GC Limited I had was the biggest POS vehicle I have ever owned. I’d rather have a bicycle.
                That's very anecdotal.

I've had:

98 JGC with zero problems
                2011 JGC limited v6 with zero problems
                2016 JGC overland v8 with zero problems
                2018 JGC srt with zero problems

All bought new.

Thats 20 years of Jeeps with absolutely no mechanical or electrical issues. The only time those cars ever went to the mechanic was for maintenance, inspection or some scratch touch-ups.

Between 98 and 2011 I had a BMW m3 and X5 which both had their hiccups including a transmission that wouldn't shift into park, a blown rod bearing, broken AC and multiple sensors that needed replacing.

Between the 2011 and 2016 Jeeps I had a 2014 Range Rover Sport which was a fucking disaster and had to go to the dealership 6 times for breakdowns over 2 years.

My advice: Look for a very well maintained 2015+ grand cherokee and it will treat you well for a long time.

You can also lease a brand new 2020 laredo for like $350 a month with zero down.

This will probably be my last Jeep, not because of reliability but shitty dealers in NY who never have loaners and service appointments book 2 months out. There has been an explosion of Jeeps on the road in the last 5 years and no new dealers so they are super booked all the time.

If you don't plan on using Jeep dealers, which you shouldn't if the car isn't in warranty, this doesnt matter for you.
                Last edited by -vanguard-; 10-06-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

We had a 92' Grand Cherokee. Kept it until 2016. It was still running fine but started to need repairs here and there and we just wanted to treat ourselves to a new car (Jeep JKU). Not bad for a car that was kept outside year round. We also had a 94' (same model). We gave that to our daughter. She's still driving it daily to work and for road trips.
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

At the risk of jinxing myself. Wifey has 2014 Jeep GC Limited. Other than scheduled maintenance , normal wear and tear has 95k . Zero problems. May look into off-lease Certified depending on your budget.

Comment

Yea but these beasts were unstoppable except at a gas station...... it’s funny I posted this thinking about gas mileage, 10-12 or so.The funny part is one of the senior ladies I help out has a 2016 Overland GC bought new, it gets 12 mpg.27258ED5-600B-4A45-9C01-CF88E09D3227.jpeg
                      Last edited by mickeyblueyes; 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -vanguard- View Post

That's very anecdotal.

I've had:

98 JGC with zero problems
                        2011 JGC limited v6 with zero problems
                        2016 JGC overland v8 with zero problems
                        2018 JGC srt with zero problems

All bought new.

Thats 20 years of Jeeps with absolutely no mechanical or electrical issues. The only time those cars ever went to the mechanic was for maintenance, inspection or some scratch touch-ups.

Between 98 and 2011 I had a BMW m3 and X5 which both had their hiccups including a transmission that wouldn't shift into park, a blown rod bearing, broken AC and multiple sensors that needed replacing.

Between the 2011 and 2016 Jeeps I had a 2014 Range Rover Sport which was a fucking disaster and had to go to the dealership 6 times for breakdowns over 2 years.

My advice: Look for a very well maintained 2015+ grand cherokee and it will treat you well for a long time.

You can also lease a brand new 2020 laredo for like $350 a month with zero down.

This will probably be my last Jeep, not because of reliability but shitty dealers in NY who never have loaners and service appointments book 2 months out. There has been an explosion of Jeeps on the road in the last 5 years and no new dealers so they are super booked all the time.

If you don't plan on using Jeep dealers, which you shouldn't if the car isn't in warranty, this doesnt matter for you.
                        I am happy to hear that you have not had any problems with them. You should buy some lotto tickets. I’ve had two of them. Both brand new and both very expensive for what they were. Thought I got a bad one the first time, so I gave it another chance. Same crap. Last one was a 2015 with major transmission problems. Jeep techs all the way up to to the head honchos in Detroit knew about the problems. I believe they changed the transmissions again in the 2016 year (after having to change them a couple of years before that). One recall after the next on both of them that I owned. I used to love getting the recall notice in the mail stating that the car could stop functioning or kill you (yes that really happened with the 2014-2015 electronic shifters) and they had no fix at the moment, but rest assured, that once they find a fix they will let us know. I was offered more car washes and oil changes then I can remember for my trouble. It is well documented that Jeeps are some of the least reliable cars on the market, but owners say they would still buy another one.
                        I, nor anyone in my family, will ever own another Jeep again.

Comment

Originally posted by Coqui View Post
                          At the risk of jinxing myself. Wifey has 2014 Jeep GC Limited. Other than scheduled maintenance , normal wear and tear has 95k . Zero problems. May look into off-lease Certified depending on your budget.
                          Not counting all of the recalls of course.

Comment

DON'T BUY A LIBERTY !!!!

Does my all caps indicate my loathing of the liberty. We had 2 my wife's 09 and my daughters 11. Both absolute pieces of shit. Constant problems always at the dealership and the only vehicles either ever owned that left them stranded, if it wasn't for the warranty the 09 would have been cooked and the 11 never bought. After the horrible experience my wife's was there was no talking my daughter out of hers. It was her money and I would have had to lock her up to stop the madness. Well after 10 months of ownership and her driving a fiat 500 loaner for 5 of those months she learned her lesson.

They both have Subarus now and we'll never buy a jeep newer than a 98 or until a couple of years after fiat sells the brand. BTW her 04 grand Cherokee was a huge pos too.

I had both an 87 and a 91 Grand Wagoneer and would buy another in a heartbeat except a good one is 50 grand because they have become a yuppie icons.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post

I am happy to hear that you have not had any problems with them. You should buy some lotto tickets. I’ve had two of them. Both brand new and both very expensive for what they were. Thought I got a bad one the first time, so I gave it another chance. Same crap. Last one was a 2015 with major transmission problems. Jeep techs all the way up to to the head honchos in Detroit knew about the problems. I believe they changed the transmissions again in the 2016 year (after having to change them a couple of years before that). One recall after the next on both of them that I owned. I used to love getting the recall notice in the mail stating that the car could stop functioning or kill you (yes that really happened with the 2014-2015 electronic shifters) and they had no fix at the moment, but rest assured, that once they find a fix they will let us know. I was offered more car washes and oil changes then I can remember for my trouble. It is well documented that Jeeps are some of the least reliable cars on the market, but owners say they would still buy another one.
                              I, nor anyone in my family, will ever own another Jeep again.

Wasn't the actor Anton Yelchin who played Mr Scott in the new Star Trek movies killed by his 2015 Grand Cherokee when it pinned him to a wall and suffocated him to death. Yea like I said a few years after fiat sells jeep and all new models come out they'll be good again but as of right now they are just leaning on their old reputation which is wearing thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X