Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the Marine inboard boat mechanics at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the Marine inboard boat mechanics at?

Mods, I didn't see a boat section so please move as needed.

Here we go. I have a boat with twin 350ci engines. A few weeks ago my port motor started running hot. It has NO thermostat in it. By running hot I mean it will slowly creep up to 200+ over 3-4 miles at cruising speed (3250-3300 rpm). So I start investigating. The engines are fresh water cooled. This winter I replaced the raw water pump impeller, cleaned the oil cooler, boiled out the heat exchanger. I pulled the raw water lines and have good water flowing all the way to the the risers (no aeration in the water). The risers are only on their 3rd season. coolant levels are good. Finally after not finding any obvious problems, I thought maybe I was chasing a ghost. So I swapped the temp sensors port and starboard. Now, the port motor still does the same thing and now the starboard is creeping up too. That motor has a thermostat and never ran above 160 until I swapped the sensors. Now, thinking the elctrical might have a problem causing a fuck up in the sensors I went out and shot the thermostat housing with a laser temp gauge. My gauges were right. Now both motors are getting hot. I dove down to check the intakes and both are clear. I have good raw water flow. WTF??? I am running out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is my risers are failing after only 2 years. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
    Alexander Hamilton

Should have bought a Glock, this would have never happened.
    Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Had similar problem it was raw water pump. Replaced impeller and it was still over heating while cruising but fine when idle. Replaced whole raw water pump assembly. Took a couple of hours I don't miss working on my boat.

Comment

No joke, are you sure the thermostats were installed correctly? I recall reading about a similar problem where the thermostats were installed upside down. Just a thought, may be worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by joeydiver View Post
          No joke, are you sure the thermostats were installed correctly? I recall reading about a similar problem where the thermostats were installed upside down. Just a thought, may be worth checking.
          The port motor doesn't have the thermostat installed.
          “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
          Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Check the risers, they may be rusted bad on the inside.

Comment

^ this, but 2 year old risers shouldnt be failing already, unless they got clogged. Are they OEM risers? Shouldnt make a difference but maybe the casting on the aftermarket ones werent up to spec?

Comment

I'd suspect the risers may be the problem also.
                The boat is only 3 yrs old? or just the risers?
                If you came in contact with shallow water the water passages may have gotten partially clogged with sand or possibly just corrosion, and that's why it takes 3-4 miles before the temp starts to rise.
                Artist formerly known as TERRY P

Comment

I have been leaning towards the risers as well. I havent been anywhere near shallow water, and the risers are only in their 3rd season, but anything is possible in boating. Guess I'm pulling a riser.
                  Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                  X