Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
    I'm surprised the runways are still in good shape
    Its a park GF and I walk and bike there often I'm no expert but those runways are in better shape then any road on this island.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of thing we should be doing on LI...again.

But...Calverton National Cemetery is going to be a different place with the noise that racing and the traffic will bring. I don’t know where the right place is, but adjacent the largest National cemetery in the US, some though should go into the effect this will have on the the visitors paying respects to their loved ones.
      I know this is single event but it’ll probably open the door to more of them going forward.
      I’m not a NIMBY guy but I can’t say I love this location for racing 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• COAST GUARD MIKE
        COAST GUARD MIKE commented
        Editing a comment
        Huntington Guy. I know that you are one of the best Veterans advocates on Long Island, maybe the world. My Father is in Calverton. He was a WWII combat vet and a car guy. He was a mechanic on a pit crew at the old Islip Speedway. When I was a teenager, he helped me build a '56 Chevy "C" modified production drag car. I'm pretty sure that he would not mind a little noise and tire smoke, Thinking about this, for many years Long Island was the place for stock car racing, figure eights, demolition derbies and drag racing. There are probably a lot of "Car Guys" interred in Calverton, who would be glad to see racing return to Long Island. I do respect your opinion, but, I believe that the only people who would be offended are those without a clue of our motor heritage on Long Island. OK rant over.

WESTHAMPTON was a great location, but in typical whiney liberal NY fashion that worked hard as Hell to shut it down and succeeded
      Life Member:
      American Suppressor Association
      Gun Owners of America
      Second Amendment Foundation
      National Rifle Association

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
        WESTHAMPTON was a great location, but in typical whiney liberal NY fashion that worked hard as Hell to shut it down and succeeded
        Just like they managed to somehow get the off shore area deemed as "not a viable location" for a wind farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
          This is exactly the kind of thing we should be doing on LI...again.

But...Calverton National Cemetery is going to be a different place with the noise that racing and the traffic will bring. I don’t know where the right place is, but adjacent the largest National cemetery in the US, some though should go into the effect this will have on the the visitors paying respects to their loved ones.
          I know this is single event but it’ll probably open the door to more of them going forward.
          I’m not a NIMBY guy but I can’t say I love this location for racing 🤷‍♂️
          can't be any worse then when it was a functional airstrip with jet fighters taking off and landing all the time...

Comment

Not my video but here is the latest look at the Calverton NW-SE runway. It starts with the guy driving on the parallel taxiway to the NW, so FF to the 3:45 time mark as he turns on to the SE runway and drives the length of it and back. The Navy built the plant, runways and taxiways in 1952. The latter are the typical WW2 style segmented concrete, that in later years had fresh concrete or asphalt applied over certain areas, while others still have the original concrete. As of 6 months ago it looks as though time temperature and the sun is starting to take its toll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oa9c1cF9lM&t=579s
            Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
            Nick Charles: No.
            Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
            Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
            -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

I'm sad there no longer making aircraft there or even utilizing the buildings, runways, etc as repair /upgrade facility. IIRC there was all the necessary infrastructure available. So much history not to mention great aircraft and engineering occurred there. Well, at least it will get some use...

Comment

I just heard from some people at a local car show, that this planned event has been delayed or cancelled due to public disaproval at the town board meeting on this. I'm sure the same type of people who keep trying to close Yaphank skeet, are at it also for drag racing. We live in a liberal shithole, full of whining people.
                Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

IMG_20210521_113643703.jpg

Comment

A few years ago when I had something worthy of the Ricekila tags --

https://app.photobucket.com/albums/v...EUiqfYDYAdMw__

Digital dash said about 142 - ish MPH

That camera & tripod came up fast -- LOL
                    Last edited by Ricekila; 05-22-2021, 05:38 AM.
                    NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

The races are back on and approved!

Comment

I hope they set things up for the jim conners style of cone zooming ...mitchell field in uniondale had that going on for years in late 60's
                        High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Didn't they appease the whiners, by requiring all cars racing to have mufflers, and limiting speed to 115mph?
                          Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                          Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
                            Didn't they appease the whiners, by requiring all cars racing to have mufflers, and limiting speed to 115mph?
                            seriously? thats silly. and I mean silly as in so fucking stupid, it is unbelievable.
                            Originally posted by ChiefSailer
                            Deplorables FTW!!

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                              I hope they set things up for the jim conners style of cone zooming ...mitchell field in uniondale had that going on for years in late 60's
                              Hey it’s your kid. We could go do that with pca down at tobay or Nassau col. white car is all second gear so no shifting.
                              High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Working...
                              X