48 years ago today speed limit went to 55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 years ago today speed limit went to 55

Nov. 25, 1973 – Maximum speed limit cut to 55 MPH as an energy conservation measure.
    Communities get used to money from speeding tickets as a revenue stream.
    Federal fiat produces a nation of scofflaws and hundreds of local governments who cash in on traffic fines.
    Everything turns into a shitshow.

I remember that. But I was 11. What were the speed limits around here before that?

Paul

Comment

I was 10 and remember my father telling me it was a “suggested” speed.

Comment

Originally posted by lynyrd View Post
        I remember that. But I was 11. What were the speed limits around here before that?

Paul
        If my memory isn't totally shot, I think the LIE was 65. Northern State was less but I don't remember what it was, although I do remember the gas station on NSP and the one at 110 in the SSP.
        Both the NSP and SSP didn't get widened in spots yet at that time and a concrete barrier between opposing traffic was built.
        Everything turns into a shitshow.

Comment

as a former bus driver I don't feel the risk / reward factor is worth it .

the only time I find myself speeding ( excessive )is if I'm late or not paying attention ( rare )

I find it much more relaxing just to cruise ,sure I go 5 or 10 over

I've been driving since 1975 and I have received 1 speeding citation which was tossed

one of my favorite pastimes is going slow in front of cityits out on the East End ( with my Suburban )

Comment

Working...
          X