Tire shot. Rim? Should I go through insurance? Advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire shot. Rim? Should I go through insurance? Advise please

So last night I came back from vacation and my GF's brother in law picked us up at the airport.
    While driving us home in the GF's leased 2016 Honda Pilot, he hit a curb and we had a blow out.
    The rim is damaged, possibly shot.

Of course it's a lease so she needs the same tires and i can't just change 1

She doesn't want to call insurance for fear her rates are going to go up.
    I think she needs a new rim ( or at least repaired) and 2 tires and that's not going to be cheap.
    But she has a point, after deductible etc.

Any rim repair places, Islip area recommendations?

tireIMG_0434.jpg tireIMG_0433.jpg

Tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/R Sport AS 245/60R18 105H
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

That looks fixable unless there's more not scene. I used a welder off on Allen Blvd in Farmingdale years ago. Tire is a common stocked one

Comment

why would insurance go up? he hit a "pothole". But I cant see that costing more than the deductible. They can either repair the rim or buy a used replacement on ebay/craigslist. As for the tire, why does it have to match the rest because it was a lease? Never heard of such a thing.

Comment

I don't see why's new rim is needed. Looks like it's just mostly surface damage. How many miles on the car? While you usually change tires in pairs if it's really low mileage you might get away with one. Maybe.
        NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
        NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

I would replace the rim. Not all cracks are visible and I don't fool around when it comes to tires. Next to brakes, they are the most important things on a car as far as safety is concerned. I'm assuming that was a front tire so a wheel alignment will be necessary. Depending on how fast he was going, you might want someone to have a look at the suspension and associated connecting parts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post
            I would replace the rim. Not all cracks are visible and I don't fool around when it comes to tires. Next to brakes, they are the most important things on a car as far as safety is concerned. I'm assuming that was a front tire so a wheel alignment will be necessary. Depending on how fast he was going, you might want someone to have a look at the suspension and associated connecting parts as well.
            He was doing 25/30 Didn't hit it straight on, just smacked it on the side.
            The car is a lease ,so she has to replace with the same tires and the rim has to be good.
            2 years left on the lease so 2 new tires and I'm going to look for a replacement rim anyhow. But she needs to get it on road for work.

I found a guy to fix the rim $125, and is picking it up later today.
            Firestone carries these exact tires for $218 installed and balanced including the liberal utopia fees.

She's not going to bother calling insurance.
            Thanks for the advice guys.
            Last edited by Aquabach; 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM.
            "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that rim. It'll hold air.

Comment

I had a rim repaired on a previously owned audi. Don't remember the company but it was not very expensive and i could not find the area after repair. Also can try ebay for rims

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

He was doing 25/30 Didn't hit it straight on, just smacked it on the side.
                  The car is a lease ,so she has to replace with the same tires and the rim has to be good.
                  2 years left on the lease so 2 new tires and I'm going to look for a replacement rim anyhow. But she needs to get it on road for work.

I found a guy to fix the rim $125, and is picking it up later today.
                  Firestone carries these exact tires for $218 installed and balanced including the liberal utopia fees.

She's not going to bother calling insurance.
                  Thanks for the advice guys.
                  oops did not read your post.........carry on

Comment

Atlantic Wheel on Bay Shore Rd in N Babylon-Deer Park
                    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Take it to Willets Point, yo Enrique can fix it in cinco minutos
                      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

with 2 years left on the lease - I'd go buy ONE tire, a good used one even.... you'll probably be replacing them again before the lease it up anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X