Emergency Drive Shaft Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Drive Shaft Problem

Just felt some shuddering, and it seems like a drive shaft problem. Just got off the LIE at Exit 73, parked in Tanger. A long way home. Guess I need to call AAA for a tow, but
    to where is the question. 2009 Ford F150, 4wd, 170,000 miles.
    What say you?

You could drive home - just go easy, keep it slow, and then go to your usual shop.... or do you mean shuddering as in "I've been ignoring the vibration for months, but today I had two fillings drop out" shuddering?

Funny thing - watching the hot rod shows this morning, and not 5 minutes ago was a segment on changing U-joints! LOL!

Comment

You can remove the driveshaft causing the problem be it the rear or front and drive home in 4 wheel drive so you would be driving in rear wheel drive or front wheel drive.
      stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

I had a similar issue on an Xterra. Rear u-joint went bad and fell out (luckily I was in town / going slow). Ended up throwing it in the back and limping home in 4WD using the front shaft. Was shuddering like crazy just before.

Sounds like possibly the same issue. Hopefully so, the u-joint itself is a cheap part (under $20) if nothing else is damaged.
        Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Good news is U-joints arent too hard to swap unless you have my car where all the bolts are rusted away and frozen past all recovery.
          It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
          This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
          We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
          Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

And I quote.

"The noise just started this morning as I backed out of the driveway"

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post
              And I quote.

"The noise just started this morning as I backed out of the driveway"
              I've seen them almost that bad.

Comment

Had an old Hyundai Excel that sheared the left drive shaft at the wheel end. Luckily there was a hardware store nearby. Bought three large Vicegrips and some bailing wire. Clamped the drive shaft, wired it up and drove slowly to my mechanic.
                SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

I've seen them almost that bad.
                  Me too. And the owner claimed the mechanic did that after he pulled it into the bay.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post

Me too. And the owner claimed the mechanic did that after he pulled it into the bay.
                    It's ALWAYS the fault of the mechanic.

"Well my water pump was just fine until you guys changed my brake lights last week"

Some customers need to see this mechanic.

The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

I'm just reading this now, but if you're still in Riverhead I would have it towed to T-Jays (1174 E Main St, Riverhead, NY 11901). They are a tranny shop and honest....
                      Africa Part 2: May 2018

Comment

Originally posted by LIChris View Post
                        I'm just reading this now, but if you're still in Riverhead I would have it towed to T-Jays (1174 E Main St, Riverhead, NY 11901). They are a tranny shop and honest....
                        Ended up getting AAA to tow me to Phils in Riverhead on Northville Tpke. I would use them again. Ended up with a factory new driveshaft. I felt they were fair and professional. Funny thing about the tow was the flatbed driver had his 9 year old with him, and the kid did everything but drive the truck onto the flatbed. He got out, put his work gloves on, extended and tilted the bed down, hooked up the chains, and did the same when the truck was dropped off at the shop. Kid said he's been doing it for 5 years already. You should have the the kid's smile when i slipped him a ten spot..............

T-Jays in Riverhead has been there a long time. I hear they are as good as Banner Transmission in Bellmore............

Comment

that is one of the best shops on the fork, Phil's is the go to for locals

Comment

Originally posted by Loadingdockman View Post

Ended up getting AAA to tow me to Phils in Riverhead on Northville Tpke. I would use them again. Ended up with a factory new driveshaft. I felt they were fair and professional. Funny thing about the tow was the flatbed driver had his 9 year old with him, and the kid did everything but drive the truck onto the flatbed. He got out, put his work gloves on, extended and tilted the bed down, hooked up the chains, and did the same when the truck was dropped off at the shop. Kid said he's been doing it for 5 years already. You should have the the kid's smile when i slipped him a ten spot..............

T-Jays in Riverhead has been there a long time. I hear they are as good as Banner Transmission in Bellmore............
                            Somebody send Mike Rowe this kid's info. At least one kid being raised right.

Sad to report Banner Transmission in Bellmore has closed their doors.
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post
                              Had an old Hyundai Excel that sheared the left drive shaft at the wheel end. Luckily there was a hardware store nearby. Bought three large Vicegrips and some bailing wire. Clamped the drive shaft, wired it up and drove slowly to my mechanic.
                              Russian ingenuity...get it done Lol
                              There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Working...
                              X