Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a cable modem lately? Suggestions? (Optimum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone bought a cable modem lately? Suggestions? (Optimum)

Well the Optimum/Cablevision $10 monthly modem fee has finally kicked in for me, driving my bill up to a laughable $75+ a month. (For just internet access, no cable Tv what so ever, nor do I want it).

I bought mu own modem years ago but I'll be damned if I can recall anything about it. Are there any special requirements? (you know, that they have in place just so you can't or won't want to buy your own) If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear em.
    John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

I’m pretty sure you can walk into any PC Richard on Long Island and purchase any DOCSIS 3.0 compliant cable modem, activate and install yourself with a call to Cablevision.

Comment

Arris TM1602A. It is on Optimum's approved list for telephone as well as internet/cable. I just bought one for the same reason, 10 bucks a month adds up. I got mine for $50.00 on ebay, or you can but it through the cablevision store for $100.00

Comment

I'm going to have to check my bill; if I can save some money every month, these crooks can go scratch!

Comment

https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...or-cablemodems
          Steve

Comment

That thread.... just like this one, just petered out with lots of open ends.

So what's the process once you buy one? You have to register it somehow with them? (I vaguely recall doing this once many years ago, but long enough ago that I'm not even sure I'm remembering doing it.)
            John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Just connected my own (needed tech support to activate it over the phone) yesterday; got it on eBay for $50 shipped, refurbished with a 1 year warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                Just connected my own (needed tech support to activate it over the phone) yesterday; got it on eBay for $50 shipped, refurbished with a 1 year warranty
                Can you provide a link, please? I expect it's the same as above but would like to confirm. Thanks

Comment

I replace my old one last year, got a Netgear CM400 modem & also a Linksys AC1750 router.
                  No problems at all....I didn't even need tech support (my kids) to hook it all up.
                  If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

Cablecrooks needed one of the numbers to activate it so my phone would work

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253533317633

Comment

I have a Motorola Surfboard. No problem with it.
                      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                      NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                      Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                        Cablecrooks needed one of the numbers to activate it so my phone would work

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253533317633
                        Thanks

Comment

I got an ASUS at MicroCenter last year, no problems with it at all (and it was NOT on their approved list)

Make sure you tell them you do NOT want them sharing your connection.... they have a habit of digging into your router and turning it into a public hotspot.... on your nickle for electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post
                            I got an ASUS at MicroCenter last year, no problems with it at all (and it was NOT on their approved list)

Make sure you tell them you do NOT want them sharing your connection.... they have a habit of digging into your router and turning it into a public hotspot.... on your nickle for electric.
                            Wait... what?
                            NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                            NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                            Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post

Wait... what?
                              what don't you understand?

Comment

Working...
                              X