Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a cable modem lately? Suggestions? (Optimum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

what don't you understand?
    All of it.

If I own my own router how are they turning it into a hotspot? Do you mean the router they give you?
    NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
    NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Yes, that's how they fixed their spotty hot-spot issues a while back. I always had lousy signal to get Optimums wifi, then all of a sudden....four bars all the time. They started turning everybodies wifi router into a hot spot, for the company. Thus sharing your connection AND YOUR electric to do it. Nice huh? But I believe they got cught and had to stop? I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
        Yes, that's how they fixed their spotty hot-spot issues a while back. I always had lousy signal to get Optimums wifi, then all of a sudden....four bars all the time. They started turning everybodies wifi router into a hot spot, for the company. Thus sharing your connection AND YOUR electric to do it. Nice huh? But I believe they got cught and had to stop? I may be wrong.
        I don’t think you’re right. Here’s why.

My company’s satellite office got optimum cable installed. Optimum cut them a break if they were allowed to put an antenna on the roof of the building to help with optimum WiFi.

I believe that is how they are fixing the WiFi signal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post

I don’t think you’re right. Here’s why.

My company’s satellite office got optimum cable installed. Optimum cut them a break if they were allowed to put an antenna on the roof of the building to help with optimum WiFi.

I believe that is how they are fixing the WiFi signal issue.
          Maybe, but they ARE also pirating your personal ("I own it") router's wifi to add hotspots.

test it yourself... open your phone wifi, note the optimum spots... unplug your router and they're gone. Plug it back in and they reappear.... and your blood pressure goes up....

Comment

If you buy/install your own router, they cannot create a WiFi hotspot.
            NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post
              That thread.... just like this one, just petered out with lots of open ends.

So what's the process once you buy one? You have to register it somehow with them? (I vaguely recall doing this once many years ago, but long enough ago that I'm not even sure I'm remembering doing it.)
              You buy a modem (which typically don’t support voice telephones btw). You take out your old modem, note down the MAC address on the old modem label. Install and power on the new modem.
              the new modem will connect to CVs network. You’ll have internet access briefly.

Go to the Cablevision website for exchanging cable modems:

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...optimum-online

Enter the old MAC address, and the MAC address of the new modem (and possibly your CV account number).

That’s it,

Return the old modem to the CV store, make sure they take it off your bill.

I replaced mine with a vanilla docsis 3.0 modem last year. I don’t need WiFi in-home support because I route the modem into my own personal firewall hardware, then into the rest of my network..... neither do I need a voice / telephone port on the modem. A vanilla docsis 3.0, same features as mine, about $35 on Amazon.
              NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Originally posted by Parashooter View Post

Maybe, but they ARE also pirating your personal ("I own it") router's wifi to add hotspots.

test it yourself... open your phone wifi, note the optimum spots... unplug your router and they're gone. Plug it back in and they reappear.... and your blood pressure goes up....
                You can require a password to access your private wifi. I did that at home and at the office.
                Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
                  You are wrong.

I own both my modem, and WiFi Router - they have tunneled in and opened a hotspot. Again. I told them no, but that didn't last.

They also try to hide it - when I first open my admin panel, I can see "24 connections" then BLINK - "5 connections" (5 belong)

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

You can require a password to access your private wifi. I did that at home and at the office.
                  You can - but that does not stop them - they are creating a secondary network on your Router....

Again - TEST IT FOR YOURSELF - Look and see the "Optimum WiFi ###" hotspots available, then unplug your router.... and see what disappears.

Comment

So...how dio you eliminate that?

Comment

I didn’t think so. I own all my own equipment

Comment

I just bought this --

https://www.pcrichard.com/Linksys/Li...s)/CM3008.pcrp

Because of telemarketers we haven't answered the house phone it 2 years --- so that's no great loss - LOL
                        NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post
                          I just bought this --

https://www.pcrichard.com/Linksys/Li...s)/CM3008.pcrp

Because of telemarketers we haven't answered the house phone it 2 years --- so that's no great loss - LOL
                          Came today - I wish my ammo came this fast - LOL

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Ricekila; 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM.
                          NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post

Came today - I wish my ammo came this fast - LOL

What is the review is it worth the money?

Comment

IMHOO - reviews are worthless -- 99.97 % are sales gimmicks -- when I hook it up tomorrow - I'll post a review - LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GMC View Post
                                Arris TM1602A. It is on Optimum's approved list for telephone as well as internet/cable. I just bought one for the same reason, 10 bucks a month adds up. I got mine for $50.00 on ebay, or you can but it through the cablevision store for $100.00
                                +1 THIS is the model you want. Search for TM1602A on eBay, and buy something cheap:
                                https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

Yes, Optimum will work with other models of cable modems, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
                                First, your speed depends on the modem supporting all of the channels that Optimum is using. Other Arris models for example won't support as many channels, and so your speed would be physically capped by that.
                                Second, this particular model is specifically supported by Optimum. So, if you run into issues, they cannot just blame your equipment.

Originally posted by cas View Post
                                That thread.... just like this one, just petered out with lots of open ends.

So what's the process once you buy one? You have to register it somehow with them? (I vaguely recall doing this once many years ago, but long enough ago that I'm not even sure I'm remembering doing it.)

You buy a modem (which typically don’t support voice telephones btw). You take out your old modem, note down the MAC address on the old modem label. Install and power on the new modem.
                                the new modem will connect to CVs network. You’ll have internet access briefly.

Go to the Cablevision website for exchanging cable modems:

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...optimum-online

Enter the old MAC address, and the MAC address of the new modem (and possibly your CV account number).

That’s it,

Return the old modem to the CV store, make sure they take it off your bill.

I replaced mine with a vanilla docsis 3.0 modem last year. I don’t need WiFi in-home support because I route the modem into my own personal firewall hardware, then into the rest of my network..... neither do I need a voice / telephone port on the modem. A vanilla docsis 3.0, same features as mine, about $35 on Amazon.
                                I just called them up when my new modem arrived in the mail, and they walked me through switching it. I then dropped off my modem at their counter the following day. It could hardly have been easier.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Cannot over stress this part enough.
                                GET A RECEIPT
                                for the modem you turn in at the counter, and KEEP IT FILED! You could tape it to your own modem. I just keep a file for all Cablevision stuff.
                                I've had disputes with them in the past over unreturned equipment (and associated fees), and having receipts saved my ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X